Wartburg

knight2

I'm a more tradition parent. Leo Mazzone said it best, " I'm a coach, I see you when you come in to work. I help you however I can. When the days over I'll say good bye. No, I don't want to go get pizza with you because I'm your coach and I never want to get on the same level as my players because if my job becomes more of a friendship I will not be able to do my job as good as I would if I keep it on a professional level." I just don't like the idea of my childs best friend beeing their high school basketball coach.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pianomaster,

I didn't realize that playcaller davis (some don't consider him a coach) had pizza with the girls. If it aint practice or basketball related he doesnt "hang out" with em. He does have friends his own age. I think you've been reading somethin in to his relationship with the kids that is not entirely there. He gets along great with the bunch girl, but that didn't stop him from suspending her for 2 weeks her 8th grade year for conduct that was not acceptable. I dont see where his friendship as you say held him back to much there

This will be my last post under this forum because no matter what is said here it will not change anything in life, and Plus everyone misinterprets every post. I never said anything about jason eatin pizza with players, it was the end of the quote that was the meanful part. I think it's ridiculous that people started profiles on here to argue in defense of someone who noone is doubting the amount of sucess he is capable of having. Fact When was the last time a player on wartburgs high school girls team beat OZ? I couldn't tell ya cause im not sure if they have. Oz is in the district HUGE PROBLEM. You said it yourself he is like a friend to the girls they can talk to him abuot anything. Look back in the forum. I never said anything about him not having friends his own age? Where did that come from? I never said anything abuot Jason's relationship with his players, besides It's not traditional, and I would rather my girl play for Carmen becasue the girls do not argue with her. I've seen girls argue with Jason. I know when I played I wouldn't argue with my coach, because he would sit me down and then make me run in practice for beeing disrespecful. I think Jason will do a fine job at Wartburg, so why do you feel the need to argue with me? I'm sure there are some people that don't like you alot either. It's something you have to deal with. I do not know one person who somebody does not have something negative to say about them. Jason will do a good job at Wartburg, but I don't think he can get them over the huge hump in the district called OZ because COACH K is a fantastic coach.

Jason might be a great middle school coach but that is not High school he will have to learn how to coach high school next year and it is not an easy jump. I will say Wartburg will be ok with him after he learns the high school game better and that is in no way saying anything bad against him. But it will take him a few years to do it, people on here talk about Marcum and Tonya on there middle school record look at the first few years as a high school coach. Wartburg will suffer with him for a few years but that would be any new coach on the high school level. We will have to wait and see how long the bulldog family will stand behind him.

I think a coach needs to spend time with his team away from the court. Not all the time, but team-building is huge. Maybe it's movie night, a trip tp Pizza Hut or a summer cookout at Frozen Head, but the more a team is together the greater the chances of getting that "Family" atmosphere. Coach Todd Wright was big on this at OS and his teams were great.

I am new to this coacht thing piano, I was simply enjoying good debate. nothing more. I'm sure that when season begins we will both be cheering our respective teams on. And in parting I've only seen 1 child argue with jason during a game.........she was removed from the team after that. Take That Piano....lol Learn to lighten up and enjoy good discussion, and who knows something good may come from it.

Good Luck and Happy Posting.

I have been really in to this topic it brought me to coacht but i think i'll be around here for a while. I like it. Sorry if i offended you master.

Well I lied Bulldogplayermom...... I couldn't help but leave one more. I'm glad your part of the coacht family now. And no you did not offend me in anyway. I'm sure we'll be sittin on opposite sides this year /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> and I'm looking forward to a really good Wartburg team. I love wartburg and I can only hope for the best for the players and the coaches down there. And just a lil advice read post a lil more carefully and if one offends you read it again just to make sure you read it right, your a pretty good arguer........ You can be my lawyer any day. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

DOWN WITH JASON DAVIS............................................................NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Personally I cannot believe that Bulldogplayermom would get on here and talk about middle school girls who cannot play....good grief. This thread is getting ridiculous. How can any grown person call out little girls by saying they will never make players! That is absolutely absurd. Grown people should never be allowed to do that!

Now as for Jason....the older kids need to be patient. Jason is a guy who loves to win. The Senior girls next year will play...because they will be the best on the floor. The soon to be Juniors will come off the bench and play their roles, and they will have to accept those roles.

And for as long as I've know Jason....run and gun isn't in his vocabulary. Now this year he had to because of personel, but when Taleah and that bunch were 8th graders his games were like watching grass grow! And I mean that in a good way! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Good luck J....hang in there man!

/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(sportsman1 @ Mar 2 2007 - 07:26 PM) 826397429[/snapback]Somebody needs to get their facts straight about talent that Coach Davis has had the past two years. He didn't have a player over 5'3"? I don't think so. He had Sweat, Potter, Davidson, and Kidd who were all well over 5'3" and the big 8th grader who was about 6'1 or better, Laughter about 6'0, those twins and I'm sure there were more. Now I would acknowledge that the big 6' girls he had were not very athletic and probably were not varsity material at the first of the year but by the end on the year they could have given him some minutes in the post if they had been coached through the year. The fact is the first year they had plenty of talent with a dominant point guard who could take over a game, and a lot of great role players. The Seiber girl and Chelsea Potter could have been a dominant tandem if they had been coached harder and had some direction. The thing you will find with his teams is that they do not get better during the year. He lacks discipline and is more concerned with being friends with the girls than making them good ball players. It's sort of the same in the classroom. As far as Dallas being forced out, it's very true. The whole deal with the principle deal came up when Jason wanted to go to the High School and a certain school board member thought his daughter might see a little more playing time if Jason was there. I would stop short of calling Jason a coach right now. I would probably call him a play caller. He really seems to have a desire to be a good coach but he needs to work on discipline and maybe work under a good coach for a few years first.

Sportsman1,

You need to ask as someone said earlier to talk to David Freels about the principal jog and ask what was suppose to take place. Also you said something about a school board member having a daughter that might play more if Jason was coach. You can call that school board member and ask him what his role in the coaching hiring was, I am sure that he will answer his phone anytime or call you back, I have talked to him several times and he is always willing to listen (Board Member's name and Phone number Randy Harlan 346-6050.) He had the director of schools to give Dallas one more year of coaching so there would be easier on the girls that is left, he stood up for Dallas to get him at least one more year. If he thought that his daughter would play more I believe that he would have just let the changes happen after the two years. Also I believe that everyone should give Jason a fair chance to prove himself.. Yes like bulldogplayermom I joined after hearing that a good man trying to do something he likes and I believe will make a good coach was getting a raw deal on coacht. I will now keep looking and reading this because of all the things that are there some are very interesting what people think, all I have been saying on this topic is just one persons opinion and have just been venting some.

Anybody with half a brain knows what happened with Dallas, especially anybody who is relatively close Morgan Co. sports. Dallas was put in an unneccessary situation. I agree about Dallas talking about stepping down for several years but even without the facts you can figure it out. A job was "posted" shortly (over the summer when nobody is paying attention to sports) and one person was interviewed. Who was Dallas supposed to recommend? Why was nobody else called and why did nobody else know about the opening? Because it was meant to be that way. That one person happened to be the Director of Schools' son. The Director of Schools was the one who decided Dallas should make the choice. Do I need to make it any clearer? By the way the certain board member stayed behind the scenes but was very active in this decision. That person also carried the swing vote (4-2 vote) to extend the Director's contract for 2 more years which was renewed the same month that this took place.

Being at Wartburg Central Middle and playing against no schools in your district that are larger than you, you should always be in the top 3 teams in the district by shear talent. Now with that being said I believe that Jason does have a strong desire to be a good coach but I don't know if he knows how to get there. Being at Wartburg and playing against no schools in your district that are larger than you, you should always be in the top 3 teams in the district by shear talent. I believe he would benefit from a few years assisting Dallas or another more knowledgable coach with more discipline. I also think we can all agree that he has the talent to win the district within the next 2 years because of Wartburg's tremendous depth. In year 2 of his tenure Armes should be dominant and Fountain should be an all-star in the post. He also has several great role players that need a little work and some PT to get into great form. So all we can do is wait and see. I hope he is successful because I would like to see the women's program maintain it's high level of competitiveness in the district.