Working the Refs

BosemanWBFan

I think Coach Baumann is the best at working the refs. Number 2 is Farraguts coach and number 3 is Blevins from Bearden. Watch one of their games and those guys never sit down. They are constantly talking and most of the time telling the refs what and how to call the game. Baumann outclassed Farraguts coach at home last week in the head to head competition. I would love to hear a mic of the whole game on any of those guys. Other coaches could learn alot by listening to any of those guys working the refs. Moral of the story is you snooze you lose.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GO BUFFS @ Feb 5 2007 - 11:01 PM) 826359900[/snapback]

Well the refs in Greene Co are very bad!Who is in charge of refs in East Tennessee?

Someone always has something bad to say about the refs...greene county fans are historically the worst...and its funny how you say that when we hear considerably less from the rest of the schools in the association...

To answer your question...GHS uses the Smokey Mountain Association

The county schools use Tri-Cities

QUOTE(utvols1 @ Feb 5 2007 - 11:08 PM) 826359911[/snapback]

Someone always has something bad to say about the refs...greene county fans are historically the worst...and its funny how you say that when we hear considerably less from the rest of the schools in the association...

To answer your question...GHS uses the Smokey Mountain Association

The county schools use Tri-Cities

I like the Smokey mountain association but Tri-Cities refs are terrible.They should go and start calling midget basketball.I'm sorry if this includes you ,but the truth hurts sometimes.

QUOTE(GO BUFFS @ Feb 5 2007 - 11:13 PM) 826359920[/snapback]

I like the Smokey mountain association but Tri-Cities refs are terrible.They should go and start calling midget basketball.I'm sorry if this includes you ,but the truth hurts sometimes.

I have heard several people say that. I have been around and watched games called by either association, and from what I have seen...Tri-cities officials do a good job as well they just let the teams play more physical than some other associations...

QUOTE(GO BUFFS @ Feb 5 2007 - 10:01 PM) 826359900[/snapback]

Well the refs in Greene Co are very bad!Who is in charge of refs in East Tennessee?

Well, I think it's all of Tennessee. I've heard more complaints and seen some of the worst officiating in the state in a long time this year. Southern Tennessee is just as bad....you need to come down to District 11A and watch some of the officials....I think the TSSAA is short on refs, so local retirement homes have designated activities for the men who live there to come ref high school games . I've seen everything from huge cataracts problems (because over half of them can't see ) to people that look like they're about to keel over on the floor...I feel for ya buddy

QUOTE(sum1uno @ Feb 6 2007 - 11:11 PM) 826361328[/snapback]

Well, I think it's all of Tennessee. I've heard more complaints and seen some of the worst officiating in the state in a long time this year. Southern Tennessee is just as bad....you need to come down to District 11A and watch some of the officials....I think the TSSAA is short on refs, so local retirement homes have designated activities for the men who live there to come ref high school games . I've seen everything from huge cataracts problems (because over half of them can't see ) to people that look like they're about to keel over on the floor...I feel for ya buddy

Yes, having older officials that can't see or move as well as they once could is a problem. The first problem is that they love it and don't want to give it up. The second (and bigger) problem is that fewer younger people are getting into officiating to replace the older officials that eventually do retire, either because of not wanting to be berated by fans night after night or possibly because of the (real or perceived) politics involved in officiating. Wish I knew what the solution was.

QUOTE(bigwes68 @ Feb 7 2007 - 12:06 AM) 826361467[/snapback]

Yes, having older officials that can't see or move as well as they once could is a problem. The first problem is that they love it and don't want to give it up. The second (and bigger) problem is that fewer younger people are getting into officiating to replace the older officials that eventually do retire, either because of not wanting to be berated by fans night after night or possibly because of the (real or perceived) politics involved in officiating. Wish I knew what the solution was.

Politics is a problem with just about anything these days. As far as officials being too old or overweight and unable to get in position...I completely agree! Some of the guys that I call with have been doing this for 40 years. They love the kids and love the game and really do enjoy calling. I also agree that we need some younger officials to come in to the associations and start calling some. Its a great way to make a little bit of extra money and to stay in shape! As far as having thick skin...when i first started officiating...i had the thinnest skin of them all! My temper was horrible! But the more you work, the easier it is to let things roll of your back. As an official...you will make someone mad every time you step on the floor. It is a thankless job, but we all love to do it anyway! It is great to watch players and coaches develop as athletes and people...I wouldnt trade it for the world!!!