Media denial in the Tri-Cities

Stonewall

Dobyns-Bennett is the undisputed Champion of the Big 9 Conference and the undisputed #1 seed. The Toppers' hold on the most useless of any of the 3 major sports titles (regular season basketball champ), is gone......unless you read local media outlets like the JC Press or Tricitiessports.com. They are gushing with stories about how the Toppers didn't "want to see the streak end tonight" with their victory over Sullivan East. News flash!!!! It ended!! As I said, I consider the regular season basketball title the least valuable of any of the 3 major sports because it carries the least reward. If you are gone by the Region semis, no one cares about that title. (except in Johnson City apparently) By next week this thread will be obsolete. But, for now, to the media in the Tricities....get over it!! The Toppers are in 2nd!

QUOTE(Stonewall @ Feb 9 2007 - 07:29 PM) 826365484[/snapback]

As I said, I consider the regular season basketball title the least valuable of any of the 3 major sports because it carries the least reward. If you are gone by the Region semis, no one cares about that title. (except in Johnson City apparently) By next week this thread will be obsolete. But, for now, to the media in the Tricities....get over it!! The Toppers are in 2nd!

If it is not that important and doesn't carry much weight then why start a thread about it?

I guess it's a pet peeve. I can't help but notice how the "regular season title" thing in the local media is always touted. I don't know if it's because that's all they have to cheer about or what. Anyway, I thought surely that would go away now and rightfully so. No chance...I guess it just irks me to suspect biased coverage and then to actually see it. As I said, pet peeve.

QUOTE(brock20 @ Feb 9 2007 - 10:35 PM) 826365606[/snapback]

If it is not that important and doesn't carry much weight then why start a thread about it?

QUOTE(Flat Top Charlie @ Feb 11 2007 - 06:40 PM) 826367637[/snapback]

I agree 100% with you that it's all to make them look good. It's kind of like DB winning the Big East in Football every year and everybody going crazy and then they choke and get beat in the 1st round. It only matters what you do in the second season not the first.

Look, it's Scott Smith!!

I totally agree Stonewall. The Postseason is what its all about and Science Hill hasnt been to state since 02 and since then DBs been twice Greeneville twice and Tenn High once. I saw that article on tricitiessports as well and i too was kind of bothered by them talking about how the streak continued. If you are the number 2 seed, the streak did not continue!! Period.

QUOTE(BristolBoy @ Feb 12 2007 - 12:11 PM) 826368541[/snapback]

I totally agree Stonewall. The Postseason is what its all about and Science Hill hasnt been to state since 02 and since then DBs been twice Greeneville twice and Tenn High once. I saw that article on tricitiessports as well and i too was kind of bothered by them talking about how the streak continued. If you are the number 2 seed, the streak did not continue!! Period.

What's the streak? I am sure it has to do with regular season district titles, but how many is it in a row? How many tournament titles have they won over that same span? Just an outsider wondering a little bit, thanks.

I understand what you are saying BUT...if DB takes care of business at home...as in a 43-41 home loss to the 8th place South (not to mention a total meltdown at the end of the TNHigh game where they only scored 35 points)...they win the conference outright and don't have to worry about the media

I just can't understand why it will take 9 days to play the conference tourney! After the play has heated up down the stretch they will wait 11 days for the #1 seed to take the court....recipe for disaster.

I'm not a fan of either school so I would be considered unbiased. They have the same record so it is considered a tie. D.B. gets the tiebreaker for the #1 seed by virtue of it's 2 wins over J.C. If they beat them for the district title they will be the district champions until then like it or not they are conference co-champions. Sorry!!!!!!

Key for D.B. stay away from J.C. and Greenville in the region.