Baseball Etiquette and Questions for E5

RUBlind!!!

QUOTE(bobbob @ Feb 25 2007 - 01:53 PM) 826388545[/snapback]E5,

Since the title of this thread includes etiquette, my question is this, is it good etiquette for an umpire to call games in the district in which his sons play? I know he never calls there games, but not only could he influence games that affect the standings, he is a built in scout for his sons' team. What does the "book" have to say about this?

bobbob you're no fun man! You are in the wrong thread. Here let me help you out.

The thread you are looking for is- "MY SON MADE THE BABE RUTH ALL STAR TEAM & DIDN'T MAKE THE HIGH SCHOOL TEAM, THAT'S JACKED UP!" or "My kid is being recruited by every school in the county but he doesn't start for yours, I mean what's the deal I keep his stats and he bats 350 in the local BABE RUTH league!" or "I ordered a weiner and got wings w/o the sauce, what the heck!" or "MY SON THROWS HARDER THAN YOUR SON!" or "MY KID HITS 350 OFF THE BABE RUTH LEAGUE IRON MIKE!"

or even "MY FUNGO IS LONGER THAN YOURS!" There are many more that might suit you. Hope that helps!

Plus there's no crying in baseball!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bobbob @ Feb 25 2007 - 01:53 PM) 826388545[/snapback]E5,

Since the title of this thread includes etiquette, my question is this, is it good etiquette for an umpire to call games in the district in which his sons play? I know he never calls there games, but not only could he influence games that affect the standings, he is a built in scout for his sons' team. What does the "book" have to say about this?

bobbob,

I would think not...but you never know. I have never had a father on the field when son or son's team was playing..I have had to scoop poop when the seeing eye dog lost his manners though. REDSMAN knows more about the home field advantage with such shows of sportsmanship as the dreaded hit the sound effects while the pitch is on the way, have "bad eye" do a district game, and dragging the field with an '81 Nova and then parking it just outside of fair territory...those are more critical to me than the ump.

QUOTE(bobbob @ Feb 25 2007 - 02:53 PM) 826388545[/snapback]E5,

HMMMMM intresting question....I hope E 5 doesnt mind if i answer this one to an extent i dont beleive bobbob really knows me very well or know the relationship i have with coach powers...coach pwers knows i know nothing about the game so he knows not to ask me anything and if you cant tell by the amount of "love" i am getting from the other fans they also know i know nothing as far as being ascout i am having a hard enough time calling safe and out and balls and strikes or at least allowing my seeing eye dog to make the call to worry about what player is doint what and what player cant do what and i very SELDOM call a district game do to the fact that coaches dont want me there i blame it on the son issue but we all know it is a talent issue LOL

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Feb 26 2007 - 10:55 PM) 826391149[/snapback]HMMMMM intresting question....I hope E 5 doesnt mind if i answer this one to an extent i dont beleive bobbob really knows me very well or know the relationship i have with coach powers...coach pwers knows i know nothing about the game so he knows not to ask me anything and if you cant tell by the amount of "love" i am getting from the other fans they also know i know nothing as far as being ascout i am having a hard enough time calling safe and out and balls and strikes or at least allowing my seeing eye dog to make the call to worry about what player is doint what and what player cant do what and i very SELDOM call a district game do to the fact that coaches dont want me there i blame it on the son issue but we all know it is a talent issue LOL

You're right, I don't really know you, I guess you could just say I am aware of you. I was just trying to rattle your chain a little. BTW, according to the guys on "The Zone", Purina One does wonders for a dog's energy level. You should give it a try with your seeing eye dog.

QUOTE(bobbob @ Feb 27 2007 - 07:44 AM) 826391372[/snapback]You're right, I don't really know you, I guess you could just say I am aware of you. I was just trying to rattle your chain a little. BTW, according to the guys on "The Zone", Purina One does wonders for a dog's energy level. You should give it a try with your seeing eye dog.

R'daleman,

You have had a couple of my games in the last three years. I too am yanking your chain. If you find out who I am, you will laugh about the comments. I know this is hard....but you must think.

QUOTE(bobbob @ Feb 27 2007 - 08:44 AM) 826391372[/snapback]You're right, I don't really know you, I guess you could just say I am aware of you. I was just trying to rattle your chain a little. BTW, according to the guys on "The Zone", Purina One does wonders for a dog's energy level. You should give it a try with your seeing eye dog.

hmmmmm "aware" intresting usage of wording LOL I am not mad however you would be surprised about your question...it has come up which is why you dont see me in any district games

i hope you being "aware" of me is in a good way rather it be as an umpire or as a man welcome to coachT i hope you become a Plus memeber for 12 dollars a year to help coach T run the site you can also PM other plus members and look at all the other boards that are out of season

E5,

I've got a couple quick questions about some new strategery I've seen recently.

1. After asking a well respected head coach in the area how he got his players to look like they could squat a Buick, he explained to me his BP philosophy. He said that instead of baserunning (reading bunts, hit & run, etc) after coming out of the cage, he has a squatrack stationed on the on deck circle. He requires his players to get 3 sets of 15 of 3 times the players own body wieght before returing to the cage.

2. In the last couple weeks, I've seen a new pick play at second emerge. It's genius lies in the simplicity. The pitcher simply spins to second and throws at the runner's ankle, thus disabling him and keeping him off third.

Your thoughts on these topics?

QUOTE(ccriders25 @ Feb 28 2007 - 09:17 AM) 826392974[/snapback]E5,

I've got a couple quick questions about some new strategery I've seen recently.

1. After asking a well respected head coach in the area how he got his players to look like they could squat a Buick, he explained to me his BP philosophy. He said that instead of baserunning (reading bunts, hit & run, etc) after coming out of the cage, he has a squatrack stationed on the on deck circle. He requires his players to get 3 sets of 15 of 3 times the players own body wieght before returing to the cage.

2. In the last couple weeks, I've seen a new pick play at second emerge. It's genius lies in the simplicity. The pitcher simply spins to second and throws at the runner's ankle, thus disabling him and keeping him off third.

Your thoughts on these topics?

CC,

Good to hear from you...it has been a while. As you and I have discussed in private, we never bunt, hit and run PERIOD. I have a limited number of outs to use, so we go hacking and sometimes we hit the ball...sometimes we dont. I think the weight training is a great idea. However, I would probably up the amount of weight being lifted. Cars are lighter now, so the Buick is not a good judge of strength. I would go at least 4.75 times the body weight. How about incorporating Yoga as you come out of the cage and some Pride Fighting before or after a bullpen.

I like the pick plan. But how do you practice retrieving the richet off the ankle? We are a bit archaic and use the "sniper" method. In fact we were two for two this weekend with it and saved a big run that allowed us to bring home the Pre-Season Play-Day Championship. I am anxious to see where this puts us in the latest USA Today poll.

I hope you got the picture of the first pitch. It looked like "Hush Puppy Man" might have had the wrong foot forward and had a tad too much tilt on the throw. Everybody was looking up in the air. Do you think this was a training technique or lack of arm strength.

E5

Why is baseball not played in the rain? How come the good concession stands serve up great Hot Dogs, but use cheap mustard? How come umpires get so sensitive when you yell at them? How come a huge franchise can fire their Morning Grill Lead AND coed softball coach over a misunderstanding over the dating policy and beer breath?

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like we may not hear from Slyder for a while.... I think I saw him on a "Grumpy's Bail Bonds" wanted poster yesterday afternoon.

E5, I am considering proposing a "maximum size allowed law" to the TSSAA. This proposal would require coaches who have reached a "maximum girth" to wear an "appropriate alternate uniform".

What are your thoughts on this matter?

QUOTE(ccriders25 @ Mar 14 2007 - 09:26 AM) 826411351[/snapback]Sounds like we may not hear from Slyder for a while.... I think I saw him on a "Grumpy's Bail Bonds" wanted poster yesterday afternoon.

E5, I am considering proposing a "maximum size allowed law" to the TSSAA. This proposal would require coaches who have reached a "maximum girth" to wear an "appropriate alternate uniform".

What are your thoughts on this matter?

First of all, I thought you had died, been thrown in jail, got hit by an errant pitch by Lou, or got shot in the eye from Dippin Johnny. Anyways it is good to hear from you. Please keep me in your thoughts. We played last night and my legs went numb after sitting on a toilet that was too high for my legs to touch the ground and I fell coming out of the toilet and may need surgery. I did pull myself together though and I played a huge part of our game...I was the third backup to the alternate fake signal giver.

I don't know Slyder so I will take your word. I assumed that he was digesting all of the baseball knowledge he has taken in lately.

PLEASE don't go to the TSSAA yet, you have not seen me lately, but I have had to go to Sears to get my uniforms "husky" sized now. I don't even look good in pinstripes. I do agree that there should be a limit. The idea of the "alternate" goes against my traditional views of the game. We have changed too many rules already. What would be your idea of alternate uniform? We are going to try to get our tops in the shape of "wife beaters."

Hey don't try the technique we talked about with the LHanded SS looking through his legs like a deep snapper in football to take the throw from the catcher. Ours took one off the nose and split his septum a good ways. The ones he could catch, was quicker to tag, but the risk of reconstructive surgery is not worth it. The good news is the we may have found a LHanded deep snapper for football.

Ok, I understand that you are truly a baseball purist and do not want to see drastic uniform changes. I respect you for that. However, you did agree that there should be some sort of "girth limit". How do we go about legislating this growing problem (no pun intended) in high school athletics?

Here's another suggestion: If you're so opposed to the alternate uniform idea, how about some undergarment requirements. Such as a girdle, or a bro/manziere.

I'm sorry to here that you're having such a hard time with the tall seats. How far are your feet from the ground? Maybe you should start carrying a stool with you to rest your feet on. I can't help but think that maybe you're sitting to long. Try breaking that 1 set of 30 minutes into 3 sets of 10.