Collinwood vs Wayne Co round 3

TrojanSportsFan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was any bad sportsmanship it came from Wayne County. Where ever you got your information is completely wrong. Collinwood did a great job of not responding to the dirty play of Wayne County. Alot of elbows thrown by Wayne County. Collinwood turned up the pressure in the second half and Wayne County could not handle it. As far as the refs, they are not to blame for all of the cheap shots and crying by the Lady Cats. Collinwood was the better team. Good luck vs Perry County Monday. Stay focused and bring home the championship.

QUOTE(coachcarterfan @ Feb 18 2007 - 08:36 AM) 826377152[/snapback]If there was any bad sportsmanship it came from Wayne County. Where ever you got your information is completely wrong. Collinwood did a great job of not responding to the dirty play of Wayne County. Alot of elbows thrown by Wayne County. Collinwood turned up the pressure in the second half and Wayne County could not handle it. As far as the refs, they are not to blame for all of the cheap shots and crying by the Lady Cats. Collinwood was the better team. Good luck vs Perry County Monday. Stay focused and bring home the championship.

Thanks for the info coach!!!

Like I said once or twice before, I have not seen very many games where the refs called for one team or another. I have seen many where they just stink.

Frustration can lead to uncharacteristic play by high school students

As for both Collinwood and WC, put this behind you and get ready for the next games. I know all you young ladies are intense ballplayers but never let your intensity lead to dirty play. It is not worth it. Have fun out there. It is a game and both these teams have a ton to be proud of. The memories you make now will last a lifetime.

QUOTE(coachcarterfan @ Feb 18 2007 - 08:36 AM) 826377152[/snapback]If there was any bad sportsmanship it came from Wayne County. Where ever you got your information is completely wrong. Collinwood did a great job of not responding to the dirty play of Wayne County. Alot of elbows thrown by Wayne County. Collinwood turned up the pressure in the second half and Wayne County could not handle it. As far as the refs, they are not to blame for all of the cheap shots and crying by the Lady Cats. Collinwood was the better team. Good luck vs Perry County Monday. Stay focused and bring home the championship.

Don"t know which game you were watching. This isn't a coach.Yes they do whine to much and the refs did not cause them to lose.Neither team played very good.But to say Wayne Co. took the cheap shots you are way off base.

QUOTE(cat1973 @ Feb 18 2007 - 09:27 AM) 826377200[/snapback]Don"t know which game you were watching. This isn't a coach.Yes they do whine to much and the refs did not cause them to lose.Neither team played very good.But to say Wayne Co. took the cheap shots you are way off base.

I was not there. But I know when we played Wayne County I did not see them take any at us. That is why I like them so much. Classy on and off the court. Hopefully everyone can move on and get ready for the next game. I guess I should have not said anything. But when I was awakened by 3 different callers last night telling me what I posted, I really just wanted to hear from folks that were there.

Hey WC, Richland may be in your future!!!! What u gono do when the Raiders run wild on U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA

Good luck with Summertown, Cat.

QUOTE(jamieroper @ Feb 18 2007 - 09:37 AM) 826377209[/snapback]I was not there. But I know when we played Wayne County I did not see them take any at us. That is why I like them so much. Classy on and off the court. Hopefully everyone can move on and get ready for the next game. I guess I should have not said anything. But when I was awakened by 3 different callers last night telling me what I posted, I really just wanted to hear from folks that were there.

Hey WC, Richland may be in your future!!!! What u gono do when the Raiders run wide on U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA

Good luck with Summertown, Cat.

Good Luck to them there Lady Raiders tomorrow nite. As for Wayne Co. I still can't figure out why one of the tallest teams in class a is shooting so many 3's.I think that was their downfall again last nite.

I was at the game last night as a totally neutral observer and did not see any cheap play by either team. A lot of the physical play comes from the style which they are accustomed to. Wayne Co. has a much bigger team and relies on the inside game more than Collinwood, which plays more of an open style. Fouls under the baskey are always harder fouls than in the open court and that is why some teams look like they play a "cheap" game, but in reality it is just from the intense banging underneath. It was a great game! Wayne Co. came out inspired and hit some big 3's early, kicking the ball out and led 14-9 after the first quarter.

Abby Andrews only scored 1 bucket in the first quarter, but began to get hot in the second period as she turned up the defensive pressure, had 3 steals and a block in the period and disrupted Wayne Co. from brining the ball up and getting in their offense. The score was 20-20 at the half.

The third quarter was the difference in the ballgame as Collinwood held Wayne Co. scorless the entire eight minutes. It was actually a good defensive quarter for both teams as Collinwood only managed 7 points. I thought at the time that Wayne Co. got out of that quarter in fairly good shape and were still right in it at 27-20.

Collinwood played an efficient game in the fourth quarter, taking care of the ball for the most part, and running many real good offensive sets. Wayne Co. kept coming and coming, but could not push through as Collinwood sealed the deal at the foul stripe and won a very entertaining ballgame 47-38.

I have seen Collinwood play four times this year and the one weakness I see in them (and there aren't many)is that Santa Fe (and at times last night by Wayne Co.) used the low post to hurt them because Collinwood does not have great size underneath and can be exploited in the low post. Most of the time however; Andrews and Daniel have enough to carry them. I see a big Santa Fe vs. Collinwood battle coming in the near future for Region supremacy.

QUOTE(mcsportswriter @ Feb 18 2007 - 10:16 AM) 826377254[/snapback]I was at the game last night as a totally neutral observer and did not see any cheap play by either team. A lot of the physical play comes from the style which they are accustomed to. Wayne Co. has a much bigger team and relies on the inside game more than Collinwood, which plays more of an open style. Fouls under the baskey are always harder fouls than in the open court and that is why some teams look like they play a "cheap" game, but in reality it is just from the intense banging underneath. It was a great game! Wayne Co. came out inspired and hit some big 3's early, kicking the ball out and led 14-9 after the first quarter.

Abby Andrews only scored 1 bucket in the first quarter, but began to get hot in the second period as she turned up the defensive pressure, had 3 steals and a block in the period and disrupted Wayne Co. from brining the ball up and getting in their offense. The score was 20-20 at the half.

The third quarter was the difference in the ballgame as Collinwood held Wayne Co. scorless the entire eight minutes. It was actually a good defensive quarter for both teams as Collinwood only managed 7 points. I thought at the time that Wayne Co. got out of that quarter in fairly good shape and were still right in it at 27-20.

Collinwood played an efficient game in the fourth quarter, taking care of the ball for the most part, and running many real good offensive sets. Wayne Co. kept coming and coming, but could not push through as Collinwood sealed the deal at the foul stripe and won a very entertaining ballgame 47-38.

I have seen Collinwood play four times this year and the one weakness I see in them (and there aren't many)is that Santa Fe (and at times last night by Wayne Co.) used the low post to hurt them because Collinwood does not have great size underneath and can be exploited in the low post. Most of the time however; Andrews and Daniel have enough to carry them. I see a big Santa Fe vs. Collinwood battle coming in the near future for Region supremacy.

Thanks for the info.

Prior to declaring Region Supremacy, let's see what either can do with THE MIGHTY RICHLAND RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cwood combats their lack of height in the post by putting tenacious pressure on the ball by all three of their guards. whenever that much pressure is applied to the ball, and the post is fronted, it's gonna be tough to get the ball in the paint....don't think wayne county means to shoot so many 3s sometimes, it's just the only shot they can get it appears to me....they settle for a semi-open 3 or one 2 steps behind the line instead of pounding the ball into the post or driving it to the goal and drawing contact. when is the last time you saw one of the wc guards get to the free throw line other than a one and one or off a putback? they don't look for contact--they avoid it. wc's got to pull it together and learn from the same ol' mistakes if they plan on making it as far as they think they are capable of going.....like trying to block shots when you've got 2 fouls in the first half and 3 in the second half then having to go sit on the bench forever, catching the ball and putting it up over your head and letting the defense get all up in you, running your offense two steps further out than you want to...

i'm not saying all this to put you down....i'm saying it to hopefully wake you up and get ready for next week! go lady cats!

In response to the cheap shots taken during this game:

Let me first start off by saying that I was not at this particular game and I am not biased towards either of these two teams. I have, however, seen Wayne County play four times this year and Collinwood play three times, including one game in which they played each other.

In all the games that I have seen, I have not seen any real "noticeable" cheap shots by Collinwood. Overall, their entire team has pretty cool heads with the exception of L. Daniels who does wear her emotions on her sleeve quite a bit and has been known to do some "unsportsmanlike" things in the past (though I have not witnessed any this season). Andrews can get upset at times, but usually she is just mad at herself. I have never seen her do anything cheap to another player.

While I do like some individual players on the Lady Cats squad, this group of Wayne County girls as a whole tends to whine quite a bit. In the past, I have never seen Coach Byrd allow a group to whine and complain so much, as well as talk back to him when he is trying to instruct them. As for cheap shots, I have seen only one player on this team who throws them all the time (witnessed it in all three games). I won't name a particular name, but lets just say she likes to "bounce" alot when she handles the ball and tends to get the most upset when someone applies any kind of defensive pressure to her.

As I said, I was not at this game, so as for what actually transpired (if anything), I do not know. However, after seeing these teams play numerous times and hearing from people who was at the gameo, I can make a reasonable assumption as to what took place. Regardless, this is a a huge rivalry game and, of course, emotions are always high when these two meet and physical play is an absolute certainty. Good luck to both teams in the Championship and Consolation Games tonight. Both games should be great games and I'm looking forward to them.