D-1 State Tourney and Double Elimination

rigger101

Why, why, why can't we have a double elimination. I heard this in the stands for the last 6 years and today in the stands and up on the concession area. Look at all the regional champions and ranked kids that are out today.

You can't argue the grapplers in the finals but 3-6, is a matter of luck of the draw. The kids in D-I work to hard to get to state then have their year decided on this stupid system we have now.

If every parent sent a letter to TSSAA would it make a differance or is it something that has to be pushed by the coaches?

If it's because of D-2 and being at the same location then split the tourney. When I left today there were very few D-II fans in the stands for the first round. We couldhave had double elimination today.

The price that kids pay to get here and the $$$$ price parents put out for this event should give us the true top 6 kids in the state.

That can only be done with a DOUBLE ELIMINATION. They have it at NHSCA, why not "The Great State of TN"

BTW-I didn't have a dog in the hunt this year but watched way to many good grapplers not get their chance to shine!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree as does most of the state. I am lucky, one of my son was pulled back in and the other was not. We do not start the tournament until 4 on the first day. Why don't we start it at noon and give 4 more hours of wrestling on that day. That would make it to simple I guess. You have to many quality wrestlers who don't make it to the consolations because they are not "pulled back in". The list this year is big, just like years prior. There is to much that is worked for throughout their years and careers to not give everyone that opportunity. I know, the best find their way to the podium, but the downside to that is the best 6 find their way to meet eachother in the first 3 rounds alot of the time. Which leaves some sitting out. We can argue both sides of this coin, but the truth is this is the most important tournament of the year, give the kids a chance to wrestle. Just my opinion.

Keith Myers

QUOTE(rigger101 @ Feb 15 2007 - 12:42 PM) 826373092[/snapback]

Why, why, why can't we have a double elimination. I heard this in the stands for the last 6 years and today in the stands and up on the concession area. Look at all the regional champions and ranked kids that are out today.

You can't argue the grapplers in the finals but 3-6, is a matter of luck of the draw. The kids in D-I work to hard to get to state then have their year decided on this stupid system we have now.

If every parent sent a letter to TSSAA would it make a differance or is it something that has to be pushed by the coaches?

If it's because of D-2 and being at the same location then split the tourney. When I left today there were very few D-II fans in the stands for the first round. We couldhave had double elimination today.

The price that kids pay to get here and the $$$$ price parents put out for this event should give us the true top 6 kids in the state.

That can only be done with a DOUBLE ELIMINATION. They have it at NHSCA, why not "The Great State of TN"

BTW-I didn't have a dog in the hunt this year but watched way to many good grapplers not get their chance to shine!

I agree fully with you. I was the regional champ, and ranked 4th going into the state tournament. Then I lost to the 3rd ranked kid, then the 3rd ranked kid lost to the 2nd ranked kid so I'm out of the tournament. It's quite messed up.

QUOTE(bearz33 @ Feb 15 2007 - 02:35 PM) 826373175[/snapback]

I agree as does most of the state. I am lucky, one of my son was pulled back in and the other was not. We do not start the tournament until 4 on the first day. Why don't we start it at noon and give 4 more hours of wrestling on that day. That would make it to simple I guess. You have to many quality wrestlers who don't make it to the consolations because they are not "pulled back in". The list this year is big, just like years prior. There is to much that is worked for throughout their years and careers to not give everyone that opportunity. I know, the best find their way to the podium, but the downside to that is the best 6 find their way to meet eachother in the first 3 rounds alot of the time. Which leaves some sitting out. We can argue both sides of this coin, but the truth is this is the most important tournament of the year, give the kids a chance to wrestle. Just my opinion.

Keith Myers

i completely agree with you bc it always ends up bein our region 1 boys who get the unlucky end of the stick most of the time

If you would agree to eight (8) districts and four (4) regions in Tennessee with the top four (4) wrestlers advancing to the state (16 man bracket) you could probably get the TSSAA to sign off on a double elimination. Both the district and region tournaments would be double elimination. There is no reason that D1 should have a 32 man bracket or D2 should have a 16 man bracket. Some kids did not have to win a match to advance to the state tournament in D1 and none of the wrestlers in D2 had to win a match.

Let's get back to where kids have to win some matches to advance to the state & just making in to the tournament is an accomplishment.

QUOTE(cbg @ Feb 15 2007 - 02:52 PM) 826373202[/snapback]

If you would agree to eight (8) districts and four (4) regions in Tennessee with the top four (4) wrestlers advancing to the state (16 man bracket) you could probably get the TSSAA to sign off on a double elimination. Both the district and region tournaments would be double elimination. There is no reason that D1 should have a 32 man bracket or D2 should have a 16 man bracket. Some kids did not have to win a match to advance to the state tournament in D1 and none of the wrestlers in D2 had to win a match.

Let's get back to where kids have to win some matches to advance to the state & just making in to the tournament is an accomplishment.

well i dont know where you are talking about that wrestlers do not have to win a match to get to state but in region 1 every one had to because we have 14 teams and the smallest weight class had 10 wrestlers so all region 1 kids had to win at least 3 matches to get to state

At some weights in some regions (103 Region 7 I think) there are only 3 wrestlers therefore one of those boys wrestled once and lost and is still wrestling. It is a painfully unfair how our regions are broken down. Region 6 has one of the hardest regions with FRA, Overton, Franklin, Indy, Brentwood, and Ravenwood. While region 7's(just an example) top teams are Glencliff and Antioch we need to move to a better system because some region's 5th place guys would do much better at state than other region's 2nd place guys.

QUOTE(Lucas is my idol @ Feb 15 2007 - 03:45 PM) 826373263[/snapback]

At some weights in some regions (103 Region 7 I think) there are only 3 wrestlers therefore one of those boys wrestled once and lost and is still wrestling. It is a painfully unfair how our regions are broken down. Region 6 has one of the hardest regions with FRA, Overton, Franklin, Indy, Brentwood, and Ravenwood. While region 7's(just an example) top teams are Glencliff and Antioch we need to move to a better system because some region's 5th place guys would do much better at state than other region's 2nd place guys.

i definitely agree and i think that the regions should have an equal amount of teams b/c reagion 2 has about 20 something where the second biggest has 15 or so

I agree that this is not the best system due to the growth of the sport. Making the tournament smaller by wrestling district, regional, and maybe even sectional (4 sections based on proximity to one of the 4 major cities) tournaments would have about the same effect as expanding the consolation bracket, because it reduce the chance of seeding flaws. I posted on another thread that I think there should be a better seeding system besides previous medals, because freshmen, injured wrestlers, or kids that just moved to Tennessee cannot get a seed when they often deserve one. I don't think the tournament should be too hesitant to change, because it should be able to refine as the sport evolves in our state.

QUOTE(best_of_the_west @ Feb 15 2007 - 04:02 PM) 826373280[/snapback]

I agree that this is not the best system due to the growth of the sport. Making the tournament smaller by wrestling district, regional, and maybe even sectional (4 sections based on proximity to one of the 4 major cities) tournaments would have about the same effect as expanding the consolation bracket, because it reduce the chance of seeding flaws. I posted on another thread that I think there should be a better seeding system besides previous medals, because freshmen, injured wrestlers, or kids that just moved to Tennessee cannot get a seed when they often deserve one. I don't think the tournament should be too hesitant to change, because it should be able to refine as the sport evolves in our state.

i completely agree b/c making the tournament smaller when the sport is growing is the opposite of what needs to happen if you make it smaller when there are a growing number of kids more kids sit at home that should be paticipating

I've been at the hotel watching the history channel. I would rather be watching

D-I Wrestling. If TSSAA is going to have parents/kids miss work/school then I think most of us would rather have our hard working wrestlers get their chance in the sun!

There is a ton of wasted time at State.

So how can we get it changed????????

D-II could be finished in a day!

QUOTE(JCHSblindrefson @ Feb 15 2007 - 04:06 PM) 826373291[/snapback]

i completely agree b/c making the tournament smaller when the sport is growing is the opposite of what needs to happen if you make it smaller when there are a growing number of kids more kids sit at home that should be paticipating

The imbalance of wrestling maturity is not there yet throughout our state. It's so hard to balance each quadrant, i.e., Chattanooga vs upper east or middle TN vs west ect. A sectional tournament may be the easiest way to come up with a cream of the crop balance,,, like NY state.