D-1 State Tourney and Double Elimination

rigger101

QUOTE(Lucas is my idol @ Feb 15 2007 - 02:45 PM) 826373263[/snapback]

At some weights in some regions (103 Region 7 I think) there are only 3 wrestlers therefore one of those boys wrestled once and lost and is still wrestling. It is a painfully unfair how our regions are broken down. Region 6 has one of the hardest regions with FRA, Overton, Franklin, Indy, Brentwood, and Ravenwood. While region 7's(just an example) top teams are Glencliff and Antioch we need to move to a better system because some region's 5th place guys would do much better at state than other region's 2nd place guys.

Lucas you are absolutely right. Region 7 had 3 kids at 103. I 'm going to say this and I don't want it to sound like I am making any excuses for my son ,But this happened to three other Overton wrestlers. My son lost to only one region 7 wrestler . He beat Hendersonvilles 140 Oaklands 140 Smyrnas 140 Glenclifs 140 there was also Dicksons 140 and Cheatams 140 .I am glad all these young men got to go to state , but come on . Colt was 4th seed in the region . He could have been there just like anybody else . It was'nt his lack of trying .The rest of the 140s in region 6 are a notch above .What I'm trying to say is there was a lot of kids that didn't go that should have . Our 119 had a great season and he is at home . I STILL SAY IF THEY ARE GOING TO CALL IT A WILD CARD SYSTEM THEN LET THE FOURTH PLACE KIDS WRESTLE FOR IT. I hope that everybody that earn the chance to go to state enjoys it .

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This will always be an issue with this sytem regardless of how they divide the regions due to the strength in certain areas. I do think it is dumb though that when the split was made for new regions region 6 lost alot of subpar school to make it smaller but add the top two teams(Overton & FRA). I believe the top 6 or 7 teams in region six all beat Glencliff in the duel season. Franklin, Indy, Overton, Ravenwood, FRA, Brentwood and the like

The only thing that could be added to this current system to make it fairer is to look at the total number of medalist from the region's previous year and award the region with the most medals all of the 4th placers. They already let the top two duel teams in region 6 go. IF they allow this they must know how difficult a region it is.

QUOTE(BayouBear @ Feb 15 2007 - 10:14 PM) 826373853[/snapback]

Here you go again. You don't know what your are talking about.

Ah but it is you Mr. Bayou who doesnt know what he is talking about. Hunter Lane's 103 got stuck in his first match in the regionals but due to the fact that there was only 3 in his bracket he is in Chattnooga right now.

QUOTE(Cox @ Feb 15 2007 - 11:16 PM) 826373863[/snapback]

Ah but it is you Mr. Bayou who doesnt know what he is talking about. Hunter Lane's 103 got stuck in his first match in the regionals but due to the fact that there was only 3 in his bracket he is in Chattnooga right now.

I'll stand by what I posted to Mr DEADHORSE. It's not the system's fault that the kid advanced. It's a combination of the weight certification's reduction in the number of 103's and a region that was weak in weight class. There needs to be a double elim 32 man bracket. It's silly to compare DII with 16 teams where only half have a full lineup with DI where there are 140 schools.

QUOTE(BayouBear @ Feb 15 2007 - 11:29 PM) 826373899[/snapback]

I'll stand by what I posted to Mr DEADHORSE. It's not the system's fault that the kid advanced. It's a combination of the weight certification's reduction in the number of 103's and a region that was weak in weight class. There needs to be a double elim 32 man bracket. It's silly to compare DII with 16 teams where only half have a full lineup with DI where there are 140 schools.

You're missing the point.

QUOTE(cbg @ Feb 15 2007 - 01:52 PM) 826373202[/snapback]

If you would agree to eight (8) districts and four (4) regions in Tennessee with the top four (4) wrestlers advancing to the state (16 man bracket) you could probably get the TSSAA to sign off on a double elimination. Both the district and region tournaments would be double elimination. There is no reason that D1 should have a 32 man bracket or D2 should have a 16 man bracket. Some kids did not have to win a match to advance to the state tournament in D1 and none of the wrestlers in D2 had to win a match.

Let's get back to where kids have to win some matches to advance to the state & just making in to the tournament is an accomplishment.

I believe that was proposed last year by a group of coaches to the rest of the coaches in the state at the state tournament. It was not accepted by them so it did not advance further.

QUOTE(fiscon @ Feb 16 2007 - 09:42 AM) 826374252[/snapback]

I believe that was proposed last year by a group of coaches to the rest of the coaches in the state at the state tournament. It was not accepted by them so it did not advance further.

fiscon-How do we the fans/parents, the ones who pay for events and raise money for the teams get the T$$AA to change the State to a DOUBLE ELIMINATION?

QUOTE(fiscon @ Feb 16 2007 - 09:42 AM) 826374252[/snapback]

I witnessed the movement and I saw where there was complete support for it and it would be brought before the TSSAA for consideration. Not sure where it went from there.

QUOTE(rigger101 @ Feb 16 2007 - 09:07 AM) 826374284[/snapback]

Why would the Coaches not be for a double elimination?

I think most of them are. I sat with Cleveland's Coach Miller watching the DII first rounds last year (I think only four of the eight mats were in use) and he said there is no reason why DI could not be double elimination if they just used the resources. I agree with whoever said they'd rather watch wrestling than tv in a hotel!