State Champ, Jeremy Miller (Greenback, 8th)

rigger101

QUOTE(just4fun @ Feb 17 2007 - 08:01 PM) 826376759[/snapback]

I don't want to take anything away from Jeremy Miller (congrats Jeremy - well done!!), but here is an article B.B. Branton wrote about Jody Chamberlin last week.

The State's Youngest Wrestling Champion

If you read the article the kid was 15 in the 6th grade. Not to take anything away from him but Jeremy is barely 14. Great job JM and the Nation should be tough agin next year as they were very young.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(matback @ Feb 17 2007 - 09:14 PM) 826376777[/snapback]

If you read the article the kid was 15 in the 6th grade. Not to take anything away from him but Jeremy is barely 14. Great job JM and the Nation should be tough agin next year as they were very young.

if you also continue to read the article..it states he repeated grades twice because he couldn't learn braille...he was 80% blind...in your bringing up his age was discrediting....

congrats jeremy! you make all the small po-dunk towns around you proud! job well done...from a seymour fan.

QUOTE(just4fun @ Feb 17 2007 - 08:01 PM) 826376821[/snapback]

Yeah, he may have been in the sixth grade, but he should have been an eighth grader.

I guess he is no longer the "youngest" champion, that distinction now goes to Jeremy.

No one was or is trying to take anything away from either kid. Rigger just asked a legitmate "trivia" question about whether Jeremy was the first "8th grader" to ever win state in D-I------a question that many of us in the stands wanted to know the minute he won. Shoot, some of us who saw him wrestle the first few matches were asking the question before the finals because we thought he looked good enough to win it all. Apparently the answer is that Jody Chamberlain won state as an 8th grader at TSB in 1965. The article says he won in 1963 when he was in the sixth grade because the 8-12 grade rule was bent---gosh, can you imagine the TSSAA being able to agree on something like that today. Then he had to sit out the next year as the 8-12 rule was enforced, but came back to win at 112 in 1965 as an 8th grader when he could compete in compliance with the 8-12 grade requirement. TSSAA records reflect that Jody Chamberlain won state in 1963 at 98 pounds and then won a second state title at 112 in 1965.

QUOTE(BuckLateral @ Feb 17 2007 - 11:11 PM) 826376899[/snapback]

No one was or is trying to take anything away from either kid. Rigger just asked a legitmate "trivia" question about whether Jeremy was the first "8th grader" to ever win state in D-I------a question that many of us in the stands wanted to know the minute he won. Shoot, some of us who saw him wrestle the first few matches were asking the question before the finals because we thought he looked good enough to win it all. Apparently the answer is that Jody Chamberlain won state as an 8th grader at TSB in 1965. The article says he won in 1963 when he was in the sixth grade because the 8-12 grade rule was bent---gosh, can you imagine the TSSAA being able to agree on something like that today. Then he had to sit out the next year as the 8-12 rule was enforced, but came back to win at 112 in 1965 as an 8th grader when he could compete in compliance with the 8-12 grade requirement. TSSAA records reflect that Jody Chamberlain won state in 1963 at 98 pounds and then won a second state title at 112 in 1965.

thank you for the clarifcation...so i reckon he did win at 13... ...and with a disability at that...says alot..i hope TSB can get more of these kids on the mat. when i was in high school, i ran track at Central high school in Knox..but i trained with runners from Tennessee school for the deaf...they can really teach ya things...such as watch for the smoke..not listen for the starting shot.

I'm Gene Henley, the guy who wrote the article about Miller winning state.

I had spoke with Ward Gossett, wrestling guru for the Chattanooga TFP, and he told me that Miller was the first 8th-grader to win state since TSSAA recognized wrestling as an accredited sport.

I probably should have cleared that up. I apologize.

Congratulations to Miller regardless of the details.

QUOTE(neutral05 @ Feb 19 2007 - 06:27 AM) 826378858[/snapback]I'm Gene Henley, the guy who wrote the article about Miller winning state.

I had spoke with Ward Gossett, wrestling guru for the Chattanooga TFP, and he told me that Miller was the first 8th-grader to win state since TSSAA recognized wrestling as an accredited sport.

I probably should have cleared that up. I apologize.

Congratulations to Miller regardless of the details.

No apologies needed, Gene. All of us at the tournament thought the same as you and Ward. We were trying to think of who it could be and pretty much assumed he was until the article by BB Branton.

FYI----Ward is indeed the wrestling guru of sportswriters when it comes to wrestling, but if it is trivia you are after or some other factoid about Tennessee high school wrestling, BB Branton is a virtual human data base. it would not surprise me if he did not write that article about Chamberlain off the top of his head.