Dist 4-AA (who looks good, who's improved

utbaseballfan

QUOTE(BigDawg09 @ Mar 5 2007 - 10:24 PM) 826401338[/snapback]Excellent point! How many managers in the big leagues were great players? It's all about teaching and motivating and maybe even recruiting. Delmonico is a great example. He was a soccer guy.

A great example of what? If you two continue to talk about the lack of good coaching at Catholic, everyone with an IQ abve that of a vegetable will be forced to consider you mentally unstable. Also, everyone on here knows to whom others were referring when they mentioned recruiting.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(utbaseballfan @ Mar 5 2007 - 10:17 PM) 826401319[/snapback]Whether a current coach hit .400 or .200 when he played in college doesn't affect whether he can coach hitting or not. Actually, whether he was talented enough as a player to even play college ball doesn't make him a good coach or a bad coach. Many coaches know the skills, but few can teach them and get the most out of their players.

most coaches will tell that good players make good coaches and I will give you this AC and Loudon have had some good players. the special combination is when you have great players and great coaching, example- Farragut every year.

QUOTE(frankenvol @ Mar 6 2007 - 09:06 AM) 826401825[/snapback]A great example of what? If you two continue to talk about the lack of good coaching at Catholic, everyone with an IQ abve that of a vegetable will be forced to consider you mentally unstable. Also, everyone on here knows to whom others were referring when they mentioned recruiting.

You are so right!!! Someone needs to tell these private schools ( CAK, CATHOLIC) that they are not in DII anymore so they need to stop recruiting!!! its gettting rediculous. How can all the public schools in the district compete????

QUOTE(Billy_Chapel @ Mar 6 2007 - 09:16 AM) 826401842[/snapback]You are so right!!! Someone needs to tell these private schools ( CAK, CATHOLIC) that they are not in DII anymore so they need to stop recruiting!!! its gettting rediculous. How can all the public schools in the district compete????

I would have to agree!!!! They need to go back to DII

QUOTE(Baseballfan9383 @ Mar 6 2007 - 08:19 AM) 826401844[/snapback]I would have to agree!!!! They need to go back to DII

Recruiting is getting players to transfer after they have started their freshman year.

Not recruiting is getting them to transfer after eighth grade and entering their respective school as a freshman. It doesn't matter what county apparently or school system. Is this correct or incorrect? Go ahead and debate this one as this is what I have been told.

QUOTE(Hammer Head @ Mar 6 2007 - 02:28 PM) 826402320[/snapback]Recruiting is getting players to transfer after they have started their freshman year.

Not recruiting is getting them to transfer after eighth grade and entering their respective school as a freshman. It doesn't matter what county apparently or school system. Is this correct or incorrect? Go ahead and debate this one as this is what I have been told.

Here is the definition of recruiting from the TSSAA Handbook: Section 17. The use of undue influence on a student (with or without an athletic record), the parents or guardians of a student by any person connected, or not connected, with the school to secure or to retain a student for athletic purposes shall be a violation of the recruiting rule.

The transfer before freshman year is in the definition section under Transfer Student: A student who must change schools because he/she has completed the highest grade at his/her previous school is not considered a transfer student and is eligible to participate in athletics at any school he/she attends, without further approval, provided he/she satisfies the residence requirement above.

So, you can go wherever you want as a freshman under the transfer rule. However, if a coach asks you to come to his high school that you are not zoned for, that would seem to be a violation of the recruiting rule.

There is a team in this district that needs to go DII, but it is not CAK or Catholic.

QUOTE(frankenvol @ Mar 6 2007 - 09:06 AM) 826401825[/snapback]A great example of what? If you two continue to talk about the lack of good coaching at Catholic, everyone with an IQ abve that of a vegetable will be forced to consider you mentally unstable. Also, everyone on here knows to whom others were referring when they mentioned recruiting.

I was talking about the difference in good and great. A coach that has gotten close to .500 beating the likes of Scott County, Oliver Springs and Clinton can't be considered "GREAT". I don't know many coaches entering their third season that I would consider great. The point was made that great players don't automatically become great coaches. And conversely, since you want to talk about the IQ of a vegatable, there are several great mangers that were average or below players. Guess you missed the logic/critical thinking skills class. Look at the improvement of the players to determine a great coach.I can think of about 1 player that has made marked improvement for Catholic in the last 2 years - Ryan Greer and most of that was due to him working his tail off. Hitting and pitching have shown little to no improvement in the past 2 years so do your vegetable IQ work and tell us how your coach needs to be on the "great" list (other than as a field maintenance guy)

Sullivan has done a GREAT job on their field. However, I can't say that I've seen improvements as far as Catholic's on the field play the past 2 years, maybe a little, but we should give him time. I have, however, seen and heard of many times he's whined to the umpires. Kind of a poor sport. I always hate seeing coaches set a bad example for their kids. Unfortunately, he's not the only coach who is a poor sport that's out there these days.

QUOTE(BigFly @ Mar 6 2007 - 04:04 PM) 826402439[/snapback]Here is the definition of recruiting from the TSSAA Handbook: Section 17. The use of undue influence on a student (with or without an athletic record), the parents or guardians of a student by any person connected, or not connected, with the school to secure or to retain a student for athletic purposes shall be a violation of the recruiting rule.

The transfer before freshman year is in the definition section under Transfer Student: A student who must change schools because he/she has completed the highest grade at his/her previous school is not considered a transfer student and is eligible to participate in athletics at any school he/she attends, without further approval, provided he/she satisfies the residence requirement above.

So, you can go wherever you want as a freshman under the transfer rule. However, if a coach asks you to come to his high school that you are not zoned for, that would seem to be a violation of the recruiting rule.

There is a team in this district that needs to go DII, but it is not CAK or Catholic.

No JOKE!!!!! If Scott Co. keeps getting transfers in they will be taking on minor league teams before you know it!!!!!!!!!!!!! But here is a challenge for you.... Find me a high school baseball program worth a crap that does not have a transfer or a player who is not zoned for that school.. Think about it. If you keep up with baseball in this area you will not find one.. Matter of fact Rumor has it Catholic got a few Transfers in this year and last year..

QUOTE(BigDawg09 @ Mar 6 2007 - 09:21 PM) 826402834[/snapback]I was talking about the difference in good and great. A coach that has gotten close to .500 beating the likes of Scott County, Oliver Springs and Clinton can't be considered "GREAT". I don't know many coaches entering their third season that I would consider great. The point was made that great players don't automatically become great coaches. And conversely, since you want to talk about the IQ of a vegatable, there are several great mangers that were average or below players. Guess you missed the logic/critical thinking skills class. Look at the improvement of the players to determine a great coach.I can think of about 1 player that has made marked improvement for Catholic in the last 2 years - Ryan Greer and most of that was due to him working his tail off. Hitting and pitching have shown little to no improvement in the past 2 years so do your vegetable IQ work and tell us how your coach needs to be on the "great" list (other than as a field maintenance guy)

The only story I've ever heard about "mangers" is in the Bible, so I guess that it is just seredipity that you put that in the thread about Catholic. However, I am no Catholic fan; nor am I a fan of Coach Sullivan. I do know him, though, and I am certain that he is the class of the three coaches you chose to mention.