Tennessee School for the Blind

rigger101

The Tradition and the Present

TSB's tradition-rich wrestling program - celebrating its 50th birthday this season, yet without a state qualifier at this week's state - is discussed by many, especially the baby boomers.

And when a class of new students enrolls at TSB in September - when Chamberlain turns 60 - some young kids will sign up to try their hand at wrestling.

I thought I saw 2 State Qualifiers at State this year?

I wrestled these young men in the late 70's. They were tuff kids who our team respected and hated to wrestle them. I remember losing to one of their Grapplers in my first year wrestling and being booed another time when a kid threw his self away and went into the stands.

It learned the difference between being blind and legally blind when I was walking into the gym and a few of the TSB grapplers said hi Chuck. I asked how they knew it was me and they educated me on the subject.

I would love to see their program back up at the top. Does anyone know how they are doing and how folks from outside the TSB program can help?

QUOTE(rigger101 @ Feb 17 2007 - 07:46 PM) 826376803[/snapback]

I thought I saw 2 State Qualifiers at State this year?

I wrestled these young men in the late 70's. They were tuff kids who our team respected and hated to wrestle them. I remember losing to one of their Grapplers in my first year wrestling and being booed another time when a kid threw his self away and went into the stands.

It learned the difference between being blind and legally blind when I was walking into the gym and a few of the TSB grapplers said hi Chuck. I asked how they knew it was me and they educated me on the subject.

I would love to see their program back up at the top. Does anyone know how they are doing and how folks from outside the TSB program can help?

In my childrens 10 years of wrestling, they have never faced a TSB grappler. I think it is positive experiance seeing what people with a disability can do when given a chance. We have another year of wrestling in the Nashville area. Hopefully I can get a chance to see these young men on a mat next year.

TSB has been on the bottom for many years now. Their best years were in the 60's and early 70's before blind children were "main streamed" into the general school populations. It would be great if they could get thier program back to the point where they would be competitive again but I don't feel that is going to happen for many reasons. From what I am hearing they were allowed to have a combined team with Donelson Christian Academy the past few years but I don't know how that has worked out.

QUOTE(cbg @ Feb 18 2007 - 08:22 AM) 826377141[/snapback]TSB has been on the bottom for many years now. Their best years were in the 60's and early 70's before blind children were "main streamed" into the general school populations. It would be great if they could get thier program back to the point where they would be competitive again but I don't feel that is going to happen for many reasons. From what I am hearing they were allowed to have a combined team with Donelson Christian Academy the past few years but I don't know how that has worked out.

They have been together for some time. DCA now has a coach, and I hear that they will

be purchasing their first mat soon. Coach A has his hands full @ TSB. I believe he is in charge

of all Athletic's @ his school. This is a full time job and then some. It's hard to develop a program for the TSB kids that also works for DCA. If they would split, I believe that the TSB program would excel. (IMHO)