The COACHING DILEMMA these days...

tee1up

So here's the all too common dilemma for coaches in this day and age.

a) Coach players hard, teach them good values, character, discipline, hard work, etc... and they will QUIT because either they're not tough enough...or the parents run a campaign to get rid of him/her...

or...

Recruit the best players, regardless of character, let them run wild...and hopefully win a lot of games...and move on to a better job before the community catches on...

Seems like a no win situation to me...

What do you all think?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(tee1up @ Feb 20 2007 - 09:55 PM) 826381948[/snapback]So here's the all too common dilemma for coaches in this day and age.

a) Coach players hard, teach them good values, character, discipline, hard work, etc... and they will QUIT because either they're not tough enough...or the parents run a campaign to get rid of him/her...

or...

Recruit the best players, regardless of character, let them run wild...and hopefully win a lot of games...and move on to a better job before the community catches on...

What do you all think?

I agree 100%

QUOTE(tee1up @ Feb 20 2007 - 09:55 PM) 826381948[/snapback]So here's the all too common dilemma for coaches in this day and age.

or...

What do you all think?

you have to put the arents in teir place before the season ever started and you also have to put administration in thir place meaning this is how I a going to run my program that you hired me to run I need your support or I will go elsewhere, sounds bold but it works I promise I have seen it everywhere I have been

QUOTE(icecold06 @ Feb 21 2007 - 08:38 AM) 826382398[/snapback]you have to put the arents in teir place before the season ever started and you also have to put administration in thir place meaning this is how I a going to run my program that you hired me to run I need your support or I will go elsewhere, sounds bold but it works I promise I have seen it everywhere I have been

Coaches dont put adm in their place or they find themselves searching for a new job!

Maybe a college or pro coach and then just MAYBE!

QUOTE(icecold06 @ Feb 21 2007 - 07:38 AM) 826382398[/snapback]you have to put the arents in teir place before the season ever started and you also have to put administration in thir place meaning this is how I a going to run my program that you hired me to run I need your support or I will go elsewhere, sounds bold but it works I promise I have seen it everywhere I have been

Put parents and Administration in their place?

When a coach is hired this means he or she is being payed by the school (Administration)

The Adminstration is payed by the parent's taxes.

Parents and Administration are necessary to have successful teams.

Without the support of parents and the administration high school sports would not exist.

Tell any boss you are going to do your job any way you want and see how fast you get to the unemployment line.

What I mean by put the administration in their place is this you go to your principal with a fesible plan to run a basketball program you get on the same page with them so they know how you are going to run your program once you get on the same page with that then you agree that parents have no say so in how the program is run it alleviates lots of problems. lOok at Randy King at Oakland do you think parents really have a say-so in how his program is run? I highly doubt and I am sure that Butch Vaughn(principal) will never let a parent think they have the right to tell coach Kinkg how to run his program.

I had a bad choice of words maybe I dint meant put administrationt their place by oging in and making a bunch of demands I just meant getting on the same page with them before any problems ever arise

QUOTE(tee1up @ Feb 20 2007 - 10:55 PM) 826381948[/snapback]So here's the all too common dilemma for coaches in this day and age.

or...

What do you all think?

how can you be a teacher of good values and character when you would resort to cheating/recruiting ??? what is strange , no coach on this website even challenged this thought - sadly disappointing - so why be surprised when you have parents and players that challenge you as coach when you have a morality problem that involves cheating???? where does your cheating stop???? how does anyone trust you?????

QUOTE(hackashaq @ Feb 21 2007 - 10:09 PM) 826383815[/snapback]how can you be a teacher of good values and character when you would resort to cheating/recruiting ??? what is strange , no coach on this website even challenged this thought - sadly disappointing - so why be surprised when you have parents and players that challenge you as coach when you have a morality problem that involves cheating???? where does your cheating stop???? how does anyone trust you?????

I'm not condoning it...at all...I'm just saying that it seems many coaches these days obviously feel an ever increasing pressure to compromise their values in some situations (especially for minor things) to try and win more games...

I've been around high school athletics a long time and have seen many instances where coaches have to decide whether to get fired for losing (i.e...benched 2-3 starters for breaking team rules)...or for not being tough enough...even though you may have a good program...(that didn't win enough games)...

You see it in college ALL the time...and more and more in high school...at least it seems...

That's all...

Franklin Co. is prime example...

Coach Crabtree was too tough, heaven-forbid push your players to get the most out of them or teach the good life lessons/values

Coach Smith (still here for now) isnt afraid to bench our top 2 players for lack of effort in practice or bad grades

like someone has mentioned before, is lose-lose