Pat Nailen Tournament

jukeboxhero17

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am almost positive that post-graduates can wrestle. I seem to remember them wrestling in the past. Coach Delgado or Bray can clarify. I think Borneman is a 174/184...Williams-Borneman. How about Chris Baker (if he's still wrestling and not to heavy) vs. Johnson? I see to remember Baker going to Missouri, but I haven't heard about him in a while. But my dream match is a little different. You may have noticed Brandon Wright warming up with an old guy before the championship finals. In fact, that was an actual Nailen...Scott to be precise. I believe he won a state championship for Germantown around the end of the Cold War. This is a great tournament for the Nailen family, Germantown High School, and the Memphis wrestling community. Nailen knows all Brandon's weaknesses, and don't forget the always undervalued "old man strength." What better finale than Mr. Nailen himself wrestling his little protege, the pride on Memphis wrestling, in an old school-new school, Germantown-Houston classic? I'll pay the entrance fee.

QUOTE(best_of_the_west @ Feb 21 2007 - 01:08 PM) 826382977[/snapback]I am almost positive that post-graduates can wrestle. I seem to remember them wrestling in the past. Coach Delgado or Bray can clarify. I think Borneman is a 174/184...Williams-Borneman. How about Chris Baker (if he's still wrestling and not to heavy) vs. Johnson? I see to remember Baker going to Missouri, but I haven't heard about him in a while. But my dream match is a little different. You may have noticed Brandon Wright warming up with an old guy before the championship finals. In fact, that was an actual Nailen...Scott to be precise. I believe he won a state championship for Germantown around the end of the Cold War. This is a great tournament for the Nailen family, Germantown High School, and the Memphis wrestling community. Nailen knows all Brandon's weaknesses, and don't forget the always undervalued "old man strength." What better finale than Mr. Nailen himself wrestling his little protege, the pride on Memphis wrestling, in an old school-new school, Germantown-Houston classic? I'll pay the entrance fee.

Scott Nailen won a state championship for Kirby high school and was coached by Frank Simpson. He later went to wrestle for Oklahoma State.

QUOTE(CoachBray @ Feb 21 2007 - 06:34 PM) 826383385[/snapback]I wouldn't call Scott old just yet. He competes in triathlons and does tons to stay in shape. I guess he couldn't follow my lead and just get fat. However, I am about to take Drew Fryman under my wing.................

Drew,

Don't do it don't do it. You must resist the temptation! But then again that weight advantage does come in handy when you have to roll with some of the guys doesn't it Ronnie

QUOTE(CoachBray @ Feb 21 2007 - 06:34 PM) 826383385[/snapback]I wouldn't call Scott old just yet. He competes in triathlons and does tons to stay in shape. I guess he couldn't follow my lead and just get fat. However, I am about to take Drew Fryman under my wing.................

Man, that little fella is still riding those bikes? I remember quite a few years ago when he almost killed himself on one of those bike rides. He may be in shape, but he ain't what he used to be.

I'd like to see a few of those highschool coaches go at it at the Pat Nailen. I'm sure you guys could think up some good matchups.

On a serious note, Mr. Pat Nailen was one of the finest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

It didn't matter where you were from, what school or club you supported, new to wrestling or an Olympic Gold Medalist. If you were a wrestler, coach or wrestling fan, Pat was there for you.

I've learned in life that people like Pat Nailen only come around so often. That is why I feel The Pat Nailen Classic is such an important event, not only for the Mid-South Club, not only for Memphis or Tennessee Wrestling, but for THE SPORT OF WRESTLING!

QUOTE(CoachBray @ Feb 21 2007 - 07:34 PM) 826383385[/snapback]I wouldn't call Scott old just yet. He competes in triathlons and does tons to stay in shape. I guess he couldn't follow my lead and just get fat. However, I am about to take Drew Fryman under my wing.................

At least Fryman knows that he is destined to be a coach, so he can start working on that gut early. The problem will be convincing people that he was at 135 in high school. It would be my dream to get my brother back up to Memphis with Drew and watch a "they really let themselves go" version of one of the most underrated rivalries in the history of Memphis wrestling. I predict two simultaneous heat strokes about 1:30 into the first period, closely followed by a trip to the hospitality room for some nachos.