All Region 1 for A and AA since 2001

RedwallOutcast

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(blueeagle @ Feb 26 2007 - 03:19 PM) 826390170[/snapback]dugger was a great player and so was seal but my favorite player was rusty chambers of unaka. i believe that kids got more out of his athletic ability than anyone. he was a good scorer, great passer and free throw shooter and they won a state championship. chambers got the other players involved which is the sign of a good ball player. donald ensor built that team around him. not a big time college player just a excellent high school player.

as for coach seal he was never the sheriff but he keeps law and order on the basketball team.

Yes coach seal was sheriff for 4 years.

QUOTE(KevB1990 @ Feb 27 2007 - 06:45 AM) 826391285[/snapback]You guys have omitted Singleton's teammates from Rutledge: Chase McBee and Matt Day. During their little run from 2001-2004 Day was one of the best three-point shooters anywhere and McBee was good for a double double most nights as well as being clutch during his playing days (2002 grad).

And yes, Singleton should've played D-I...too bad he let things get away from him.

I agree with all this. I don't think there are very few teams around that could play with these boys hancock & rutledge had some barn burners back than.

QUOTE(cougarball52 @ Feb 26 2007 - 02:58 PM) 826390137[/snapback]Unicoi did not start dominating until Central left. Central and Unicoi had some great games though. Elizabethton's team with Vince Redd was awesome. Central had great teams those years but just could not stop Redd. But there were some very good teams those years, and in my mind better than AAA.

That's very true cougarball. That year in particular was probably as good as the district ever was collectively. Of course Central and Elizabethton were great, but so were Johnson County and Volunteer. As a matter of fact, I can't remember an easy game throughout the entire season- much more competitive top to bottom than AAA.

If I'm not mistaken, Gatlinburg Pittman had one player during the 2000 or 2001 season that was near unstoppable. I feel like he was a massive post player because I remember him emphatically dunking multiple times. Any help on that one?

QUOTE(Hustle_Will_Win @ Feb 27 2007 - 03:03 PM) 826391914[/snapback]That's very true cougarball. That year in particular was probably as good as the district ever was collectively. Of course Central and Elizabethton were great, but so were Johnson County and Volunteer. As a matter of fact, I can't remember an easy game throughout the entire season- much more competitive top to bottom than AAA.

If I'm not mistaken, Gatlinburg Pittman had one player during the 2000 or 2001 season that was near unstoppable. I feel like he was a massive post player because I remember him emphatically dunking multiple times. Any help on that one?

I think that was Oliver Morton a few years earlier than 2000-2001...he went on to play (or walk-on) at Ole Miss I believe...the Highlanders had a good stretch under Ken Wright from the late 90s into the early part of this decade.

QUOTE(KevB1990 @ Feb 27 2007 - 03:43 PM) 826391974[/snapback]I think that was Oliver Morton a few years earlier than 2000-2001...he went on to play (or walk-on) at Ole Miss I believe...the Highlanders had a good stretch under Ken Wright from the late 90s into the early part of this decade.

Thanks KevB- that name does sound familiar. Does that era include a player named Chuck Edwards?

QUOTE(Hustle_Will_Win @ Feb 27 2007 - 04:00 PM) 826391997[/snapback]Thanks KevB- that name does sound familiar. Does that era include a player named Chuck Edwards?

Yeah...Edwards was with them but he was a guard-type player. He was also a pretty good football player the one year he played for them. I think he might've walked on at Vandy in hoops. Biggest thing I remember about him was how hardly anyone liked him...on his team or on the other teams. Really sorry attitude for such a good athlete.

QUOTE(Hustle_Will_Win @ Feb 27 2007 - 03:03 PM) 826391914[/snapback]That's very true cougarball. That year in particular was probably as good as the district ever was collectively. Of course Central and Elizabethton were great, but so were Johnson County and Volunteer. As a matter of fact, I can't remember an easy game throughout the entire season- much more competitive top to bottom than AAA.

Could you be thinking of Nathaniel McCoy from Pittman (Graduated in 2000). He was an inside-outside threat. I think he had about 22 against Unicoi in regional quarters, and 37 or so in the regional semis that year against happy valley. I think they ended up losing in the substate that year (they hosted Fulton I believe). I know he signed to play at Walters State after that, but haven't heard anything since.

QUOTE(mscoach44 @ Feb 28 2007 - 08:32 AM) 826392799[/snapback]Could you be thinking of Nathaniel McCoy from Pittman (Graduated in 2000). He was an inside-outside threat. I think he had about 22 against Unicoi in regional quarters, and 37 or so in the regional semis that year against happy valley. I think they ended up losing in the substate that year (they hosted Fulton I believe). I know he signed to play at Walters State after that, but haven't heard anything since.

McCoy was a big kid, but he was more of a perimeter threat than inside...or at least he played that way.

QUOTE(KevB1990 @ Feb 28 2007 - 11:15 PM) 826394227[/snapback]McCoy was a big kid, but he was more of a perimeter threat than inside...or at least he played that way.

Yeah he could flat fill it up. We played a box and one on him in the regional in 2000 and he took it inside against us. And he had some athleticism to be so stout. He moved well without the ball and hit the offensive boards hard.

QUOTE(HighSchoolFanatic @ Feb 24 2007 - 12:01 AM) 826386855[/snapback]Seal and Dugger are two of a kind. You wont find many 1A players past Knoxville like those 2. Wut about Mike Matthews, who went on to play @ Chattanooga? Brad Seal, Matthews, Nichols, Aaron Seal, and another good guard (forgot name) played on the 00-01 team, which were stacked everywhere. One of the best teams Ive seen. Just got beat by a talented Alcoa team in 1st round. That was Alcoa's last year in A. Great coach in Tony Seal. Wuts the relationship status between of all the Seals? Hancock was great back in those days. Brad Seal I know got 3 Reg MVPs in a row. If im not mistaken, was Matthews originally from Kentucky and moved to Sneedville just to play ball his Jr yr? And wasnt Coach Seal the sherriff? I know Hancock had some coach, who was the sherriff.

i know one thing cosby isnt in region 1 but they've come up there several times for sub-state and they will back me up when i say nobody from that area could shoot like eric coggins. he graduated in 01 and lost at hancock in sub-state. that was goin for state 5 years in a row. by the way those good alcoa teams never made it in 1a, which cosby made it almost every year and was state runner-up in 99 and 00. and nichols didnt make his senior year cause cosby beat em in sub-state at home in 03.