Forrest vs Van Buren

meg25

QUOTE(Coach_B @ Mar 1 2007 - 02:35 PM) 826395282[/snapback]I don't know for sure if she is returning, but I would guess that she is. I have not heard anything about her not returning and she has a boy basketball player in the middle school. It would be good for the school to give her a plaque thanking her. Also if any of the girl ball players are reading this you could come up w/ something to thank her for what she's done for the team (card, cake, etc).

Coach Binkley also deserves credit for their improved play @ the end of the season. Specifically I thought he finished the season stronger in how to handle players, substitutions, defenses (depending on what lineup was in), and he deserves credit for trusting Coach Amy with all the team building activities. He adjusted his coaching style to the personnel he had around him.

That is crazy. Giving someone cake a card or something of that nature. I have been watching VBC girls ball for many years. Binkley has been coach for some time now. I personally would like to see his won lost record and how many times he placed first,second,third, or third. We don't need to let this coach leave or school system. As we let the best coach to ever the doors at VBCHS GREG BIBB. Amy Russell needs to be coach of the Lady Eagles. Talk to your Director of Schools or the School Board let's get this rolling.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bird 33 @ Mar 1 2007 - 03:15 PM) 826395348[/snapback]That is crazy. Giving someone cake a card or something of that nature. I have been watching VBC girls ball for many years. Binkley has been coach for some time now. I personally would like to see his won lost record and how many times he placed first,second,third, or third. We don't need to let this coach leave or school system. As we let the best coach to ever the doors at VBCHS GREG BIBB. Amy Russell needs to be coach of the Lady Eagles. Talk to your Director of Schools or the School Board let's get this rolling.

What can we do? Just let us know. I am hearing that they aren't asking her back. THe girls don't want this to happen.

QUOTE(VBHoopster @ Mar 1 2007 - 08:16 PM) 826395895[/snapback]What can we do? Just let us know. I am hearing that they aren't asking her back. THe girls don't want this to happen.

Rumors are a truly wonderful thing. Especially when those spreading them have no clue what they are talking about. First I would like to say that Ms. Russell helped tremendously this year. She helped bring the girls together when things could have fallen apart after losing a starter to injury. She also helped to bring a positive attitude and outlook to the girls each night. What isn't being mentioned, and is the best point of all, is that she volunteered to do this. She doesn't get paid, she just wants to help our team and our girls. Unlike alot of people that just want to mouth off and complain, she chose help not hinder. Coach Russell is appreciated by the players, coach, principle, and superintendent. Their has never been any discussion about whether she will be back or not, it is her choice to volunteer, she isn't an employee. I know that all mentioned above would love to have her back agian. As for her being head coach, it can't happen unless she becomes empoyed by the school system. I don't know if she is interested or if she has a teaching licence. I do know that it is a shame that people are trying to take this positive and turn it into a problem. Why don't those of you who are complaining follow in Ms. Russell's footsteps and use your energy to do something positive? If you are truly interested in the program, help those who are working to make it better, don't run them down. I also find it interesting that there hasn't been many complaints in the past about coaches or the girl's team. It is only when they win 20 games, make it to the semifinals of the region, and have an opportunity to play in a substate game that a couple of people get on a chat board and mouth about the coach. I have also been watching Van Buren for a while, through four coaches counting this one, and this is the first time that fans have had expectations of reaching a substate game. Why is that? Speedy and Bird will say that we have more tallent. Could some of this be due to the fact that this coach has worked with these girls since elementary? I didn't hear anyone compaining when the coach volunteered his time during the summers to coach an aau elementary team made up of most of the same girls that are playing high school ball now. This was before he became the high school coach or even knew if he would ever become the high schoo coach. It is real easy to sit back and point fingers but alot harder to actually get up off the couch and do something. I'll finish by saying thanks to both of the coaches and all the players who went to practice, ran the sprints, watched the game film, and got out on the court to give guys like me something to be proud of. You had a great season and it shows, no one else has come as close as you did to beating Forrest. It takes alot of hard work and dedication to accomplish the things you have this year. Lauren and Courtney, I have enjoyed cheering for you for the past four years and wish you all the luck in the future. You girls can accomplish much, I know because I have already seen you do it. To those ladies coming back, DEDICATE yourselves to your team, your coaches, and your school and their is no telling how much farther you can go. I know that I'll be there cheering for the Van Buren County EAGLETTES!!! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I have talked to a school board member. She does not need a teachers degree to be coach. All i am saying it is time for a coach. I still would love to see the won lost record over the years he has been there. She is more qualified to this team than he is. She got a scholarship to play college ball. She would bring more discipline to this ball team. Our girls are very talented but they will always be playing for third or fourth place at toury time he chockes under pressure. Let's don't make the same mistake twice as we did four years. Post the records of wins and loses and how many times u won first second third or fourth place last year we got put out in the first round agaist Cascade. Talk to your board members and Director of Schools and let's get someone in there who knows what they are doing. We all know why he has the job anyway.

QUOTE(bird 33 @ Mar 1 2007 - 09:48 PM) 826396159[/snapback]I have talked to a school board member. She does not need a teachers degree to be coach. All i am saying it is time for a coach. I still would love to see the won lost record over the years he has been there. She is more qualified to this team than he is. She got a scholarship to play college ball. She would bring more discipline to this ball team. Our girls are very talented but they will always be playing for third or fourth place at toury time he chockes under pressure. Let's don't make the same mistake twice as we did four years. Post the records of wins and loses and how many times u won first second third or fourth place last year we got put out in the first round agaist Cascade. Talk to your board members and Director of Schools and let's get someone in there who knows what they are doing. We all know why he has the job anyway.

I don't know why he has the job, why don't you tell me. If you want to post records, why just post his. Go back 20 years and find someone who has done better in this position. Do I think he does everything right? No. Do I think he has done a better job than the other 3 coaches I've seen before him? Yes. Do I think we now have better tallent because he worked with them from elementary up? Yes. Who else has taken the girls team to the second round of region play in Van Buren history? No one. However, I sure would like to hear why he has the job. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> And you do have to be employed by the school system in order to be the head coach in high school basketball.

QUOTE(eaglebro @ Mar 1 2007 - 11:02 PM) 826396200[/snapback]I don't know why he has the job, why don't you tell me. If you want to post records, why just post his. Go back 20 years and find someone who has done better in this position. Do I think he does everything right? No. Do I think he has done a better job than the other 3 coaches I've seen before him? Yes. Do I think we now have better tallent because he worked with them from elementary up? Yes. Who else has taken the girls team to the second round of region play in Van Buren history? No one. However, I sure would like to hear why he has the job. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> And you do have to be employed by the school system in order to be the head coach in high school basketball.

I agree that Coach Binkley is not to be left out of the success of this program. I think he did a great job of coaching this year with all the cards that he was dealt. I am still curious as the rumor of his friend being hired. That bothers me a bit, but again, it is the rumor mill.

FACTS.......I am sure that the school is aware that she can be hired as an assistant. Know if they have the funding is a different story or if they even want to hire her. We all know you can make anythign happen you want to. She is good I would get her on in whatever capacity they can and she is willing too. Her having to be a certrified teacher is a myth.

Here is what I have to support this (I only know this because I have a relative (head coach - non-faculty) that does it in another TN school system). Look at the TSSAA Handbook (this can be done on their web site)....page 30: Coaches Rule 10: page 30 regarding NON-FACULTY coaches, page 35 there is a whole section on it. The only stipulation I see is she has to be willing to be an assistant for 5 years (now one under her belt), and take the TSSAA courses. If she is willing to do that. I would say that they need to get her hired as an assistant so she can get that credit. Of course if she is wanting to do this. But we all know that it is possible. I believe we have some assistant coaches in other sports at our school that are non-faculty.

Maybe this will help clarify this topic. Thanks again to Coach Binkley, Coach Russell and the girls mostly that worked so hard to make this season a success. What the girls did and how they responded is really the key to the whole thing. Not necessarily what any coach did. They were just there to lead and encourage.

The more thought I put into this and the more I read I am sure that it won't matter what the community wants to happen or what the players want to happen, rest assured they will do what they want to do and more than likely it won't be the decision that most of us would think they should do. Bottom line if they want something to happen they can make it happen, it has been done before and will continue to be done. From what I understand Coach Russell isn't even from the mountain so she probably has no intention of being with this program forever. It is sad that they aren't going to ask her back though.

QUOTE(TNBBallFan15 @ Mar 2 2007 - 11:44 AM) 826396937[/snapback]The more thought I put into this and the more I read I am sure that it won't matter what the community wants to happen or what the players want to happen, rest assured they will do what they want to do and more than likely it won't be the decision that most of us would think they should do. Bottom line if they want something to happen they can make it happen, it has been done before and will continue to be done. From what I understand Coach Russell isn't even from the mountain so she probably has no intention of being with this program forever. It is sad that they aren't going to ask her back though.

Who has said "they" are not going to ask her back? Who has said that the coach has a friend to give the job to?? Where did all this come from?? Not only does the TSSAA have rules but the Board of Education has their on policies and procedures. Has anyone researched this?? We all have our on personal opinions but to get worked up when you have the facts straight. I say way to go to our Eagle Teams for the awsome job they have done this season and their committment and dedication to their sport. The athletic department has grown and now there is so much more to offer than just basket ball and baseball... HOW WONDERFUL!! Support these activities, support the players, support the coaches, support the SCHOOL. As for the rumors.. please give it UP !!

A wise person once told me, "Believe non of what you hear and only half of what you see"

-----------------------------------------------------------

You and I will meet again, When we're least expecting it, One day in some far off place, I will recognize your face, I won't say goodbye my friend, For you and I will meet again.

Tom Petty

I agree if the director and board want to do something they can make it happen. They have in the past. I agree our Athletic program as grown a great deal and EVERYONE in the system should recieve credit for this, but the support is coming from the community which wants to see our programs to continue growing and if Coach Russell has a plan to be a head coach then it should be here. She would be great for the program for years to come. As far as her being from the Mountain, I think you are right she is not but I believe her husbands family was born and raised here. If she does desire to be a head coach then our school system should do whatever they can to make it happen. If not she will move on to another nearby school. Who else would or should replace our current coach if he didn't return besides her?

Their is alot more people feel the same that we do. Thank u VB Basketball Fan yes we do need to make her the next head coach. The School Board can make it happen if it wants to. No she is not from here does she have't to be no she does not. What is the difference from someone coaching the Elementary School without a degree and coaching the High School. If they want it to happen they will make it happen. They cannot pass a basketball their out of shape and a couple have behavior promblems. It is time that we make a change. If we don't do something now it will never get done. TO ALL PARENTS TALK TO THESCHOOL BOARD . IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE. I am not the only one that feels this way.

QUOTE(VBHoopster @ Mar 2 2007 - 04:34 PM) 826397304[/snapback]I guess this all could be answered if someone would make it official..........

Is Coach Binkley Returning?

Is Coach Russell Returning?

If someone would just say for sure what is going on, this whole forum would go away.

Coach Binkley isn't going anywhere. This is his where he went to school and where he wants to be. Coach Russell is a volunteer and is welcome back as long as she wants to be. It is Van Buren policy that a coach be employed by the school system. In the past, when others have coached teams, be it elementary or high school, there was an employee listed as head coach and outside volunteers helped them. Name one coach who has been paid that wasn't an employee of the school system. I don't want to sound like I don't like coach Russell or think that she didn't do a great job. I know she knows how much everyone appreciated her help and the job she did. I'm just stating the facts as they have been presented to me. In order for her to have a head coaching job by TSSAA requirements, she needs 4 more years of volunteering as an assistant. In order for her to be a paid coach at Spencer, she must have a position with the Van Buren County Board of Education. No she doesn't have to be a teacher, she could be a secretary, janitor, teacher, substitute, cook, bus driver, or one of the administrative positions. Except for principal, the principal can not be head coach, it is also against board policy. Once again, I'm for supporting both coaches and all the players that are back next season. As for coach Binkley hiring a friend, I know he doesn't have the authority or desire to hire anyone. That is the job of the Superintendent. Now instead of griping and complaining, lets be appreciative of what the school has accomplished this year. The Elementary Girls finished second in their league. The Elementary boys finished second in the White County tournament. The junior high girls finished with just 2 or 3 losses and won a game in the state tournament for the first time ever. Our junior high boys had the best record they have had in a long time. The high school boys won about twenty games and made it to region and the high school girls won 20 games and made it to the second round of regions. Not a bad record overall. Plenty to be excited about. Now if you want to contact the superintendent and complain about something, why not complain about a new gym. It is a shame that both of our junior high teams and both of our high school teams have to share time in one gym. Another gym, with possibly a weight room, would sure help all of our teams alot more than a new high school girls coach.