Tri-County Seven - Regional Tournament Time!

krichunaka

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Feb 25 2007 - 04:06 PM) 826388630[/snapback]1) Unicoi County

2) Elizabethton

3) Cloudland

4) Unaka

5) Hampton

6) Happy Valley

7) Johnson County

And we're off to AFTON! The top two, or even the top four could change by as early as tomorrow night. Or, the 2006 - 07 Tri-County Seven could end just as it is now. Either way, we hope it ends in Murfreesboro. One thing's for certain: The biggest losers will be those not fortunate enough to see all Four Semi-Final Games.

I like Elizabethton's chances, if for no other reason than the Lady Cyclones have won nine of ten, and they have four seniors who will be most difficult to eliminate. Victoria Hopson, Marti Bush, Brianne Gouge and Michaela Pietrowski always come out fighting in these Classics. No reason to expect anything different Monday.

Which leads to the Elizabethton Junior class of Hannah Fritz, Kelli Culler, Kyla Jones and Jasmine Treadway. Will one of these four be the difference between winning or elimination? If any of these match Kelli Culler's double-digit scoring effort of last Friday night, Elizabethton will be nearly impossible to defeat.

However, if Alicia Engle goes off like she did against Rugledge, if Lynz Canady hits a few shots, and if Alisha Mainer and Jennifer Edwards manage a stastitical standoff with Marti and Michaela - things like that - this UCHS - EHS matchup could end in overtime.

Unicoi County also has a few juniors - seven of them, including Barnett and Mainer. And a couple very good sophomores - Edwards and Ali Gardner. So, looking at this potential, foul-plagued, ten-deep affair, and especially considering the Mariah Pietrowski injury, Unicoi County appears to have a slight depth advantage.

The Keys?

1) FOUL TROUBLE! Great Matchups throughout the lineups - - Michaela and Alisha; Marti and Jennifer; Victoria and Payge. Who'll get whistled the most?

2) Free Throws. * You had to be there for Unaka and Hampton in last season's District Semi-Finals. Megan Johnson is fouled. At the Buzzer! Unaka trails by two. Megan hits both! Unaka wins in overtime. Free throws are often the final points scored in such games.

I wouldn't bet a nickel either way in this one. I only hope to get to watch the entire game. NOBODY should have to miss this one.

In Single A, Cloudland is a considerable favorite to advance to the Final by defeating North Greene. However, it might get frightfully close. The Lady Huskies demonstrated their potential in the District Consolation game against Hampton, but the Lady Highlanders almost always find their way to the Championship game.

Unaka versus Washburn is anybody's guess. The sickly Lady Rangers survived the Friday Night scare from the promising Hancock County Lady Indians. Hopefully, the seventy-two hours have healed the sick, and they'll be ready to play a great game Monday night.

Goodbye to the Lady Warriors, Lady Longhorns, and Lady Bulldogs. It's been fun. Great job by Coaches Ben Godsey, Stacey Street and Leon Tolley.

Krich,

Looks like the game lived up to its billing as 'game of the year'. Must have been an exciting one down the stretch. A 9-0 run for the Lady 'clones down the stretch? I'm anxious to hear the replay on wcypsports.com

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the tape of the last two minutes and I still am in awe. EHS scored 8 points in a 20 second span to make a nine point game a one point game. And from there Unicoi was pretty much done. EHS made it interesting by missing some FTs, but it was just meant to be a Cyclone kinda night!

South Greene lost by one. And they too sorta lost it at the end.

Claiborne vs Elizabethton in the Region 1AA Championship. Sounds pretty good to me.

Cyclone152, It was as advertised. And it did, indeed, come down to Fouls and Free-throw shooting. As CycloneFan stated, Elizabethton missed a few at the line down the stretch; and as well, so did Unicoi County. In fact, the Lady Blue Devils missed two just after Elizabethton had either tied, or taken a one-point lead. UN-officially, Unicoi County was five of nine in the fourth; Elizabethton was nine of sixteen. After the Elizabethton onslaught, Unicoi County rimmed a three that would've given the Lady Blue Devils the lead. It was that close.

Jennifer Edwards had a great start, scoring six of her eight points in the first quarter. She fouled out in the third. Alisha Mainer and Lynz Canady also fouled out for Unicoi County. I don't think Elizabethton had a player foul out.

Michaela Pietrowski led Elizabethton with 17; Victoria Hopson - 11; Kyla Jones - 4; Kelli Culler - 1; Marti Bush, Brianne Gouge, and Jasmine Treadway each scored 3. Gouge's Bomb nearly blew the roof off!

Alisha Mainer scored 14 for Unicoi County; Payge Barnett - 10; Alicia Engle and Lynz Canady each scored 4, and Jennifer Edwards had 8.

Unaka's defense smothered Washburn into a 12 - 29 halftime deficit. It was 14 - 2 after one. The Lady Pirates have a good six-footer, Tasha Hopson, but their other post player, Erin Hyde, also six-feet, was unable to play after injuring her knee while helping eliminate Hampton, Friday night. With Hopson playing with three fouls, Unaka dominated inside; Brittany Scott and Kayla Winters scored most of their points on short bankers (Scott hit seven free-throws, Winters, three.

Brittany Scott scored 21; Kayla Winters - 15; Natalie Jonson - 3; Sallee Taylor - 9; Chelsea Anderson - 4.

Emily Hyde led Washburn with 11; Hollie Colllins and Tasha Hopson each scored nine, and Sasha Winkler had four.

Each team hit two threes. Johnson and Taylor each with one for Unaka; Hyde with two for Washburn.

Krich:

just a minor correction--it was Hannah Fritz who hit the three off a Hopson FT miss at the fifty second mark to make it 40-39. Also my stats had Mainer with 17 points and 11 rebounds; Edwards with six points. I think overall EHS won the battle of the boards-Bush had 10 and Pietrowski had 9.

It was a great game from a Cyclone perspective. As for the officials, these guys were from downstate, so there was no advantage.

Great job Lady Rangers and Highlanders!!

Go Carter County!!!!

QUOTE(CycloneFan @ Feb 27 2007 - 01:02 AM) 826391231[/snapback]Krich:

just a minor correction--it was Hannah Fritz who hit the three off a Hopson FT miss at the fifty second mark to make it 40-39. Also my stats had Mainer with 17 points and 11 rebounds; Edwards with six points. I think overall EHS won the battle of the boards-Bush had 10 and Pietrowski had 9.

It was a great game from a Cyclone perspective. As for the officials, these guys were from downstate, so there was no advantage.

Great job Lady Rangers and Highlanders!!

Go Carter County!!!!

Thanks for the correction. I couldn't see that part of the court from where I sat. Besides, by then, everyone in the gym was standing. (You think Hannah's dad is proud, or what?)

It was indeed a Great Game, from any perspective. I'm sure the Lady Blue Devils don't see it that way now, but time heals, and they sure have a very promising group returning next season. But they'll really miss the seniors.

Incidentally, for those who haven't heard, Alicia Engle has already signed a Softball Scholarship with Milligan College. Congratulations, Alicia! No doubt, Lnyz Canady will sign soon. Lynz was cool as ice at the free-throw line midway through the fourth quarter, going four for four.

Did I post anything about the officiating?

And you're probably right, but please re-check, because I have Jennifer Edwards fouling out in the Third Quarter.

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Feb 27 2007 - 12:52 AM) 826391224[/snapback]Cyclone152, It was as advertised. And it did, indeed, come down to Fouls and Free-throw shooting. As CycloneFan stated, Elizabethton missed a few at the line down the stretch; and as well, so did Unicoi County. In fact, the Lady Blue Devils missed two just after Elizabethton had either tied, or taken a one-point lead. UN-officially, Unicoi County was five of nine in the fourth; Elizabethton was nine of sixteen. After the Elizabethton onslaught, Unicoi County rimmed a three that would've given the Lady Blue Devils the lead. It was that close.

Jennifer Edwards had a great start, scoring six of her eight points in the first quarter. She fouled out in the third. Alisha Mainer and Lynz Canady also fouled out for Unicoi County. I don't think Elizabethton had a player foul out.

Michaela Pietrowski led Elizabethton with 17; Victoria Hopson - 11; Kyla Jones - 4; Kelli Culler - 1; Marti Bush, Brianne Gouge, and Jasmine Treadway each scored 3. Gouge's Bomb nearly blew the roof off!

Alisha Mainer scored 14 for Unicoi County; Payge Barnett - 10; Alicia Engle and Lynz Canady each scored 4, and Jennifer Edwards had 8.

Unaka's defense smothered Washburn into a 12 - 29 halftime deficit. It was 14 - 2 after one. The Lady Pirates have a good six-footer, Tasha Hopson, but their other post player, Erin Hyde, also six-feet, was unable to play after injuring her knee while helping eliminate Hampton, Friday night. With Hopson playing with three fouls, Unaka dominated inside; Brittany Scott and Kayla Winters scored most of their points on short bankers (Scott hit seven free-throws, Winters, three.

Brittany Scott scored 21; Kayla Winters - 15; Natalie Jonson - 3; Sallee Taylor - 9; Chelsea Anderson - 4.

Emily Hyde led Washburn with 11; Hollie Colllins and Tasha Hopson each scored nine, and Sasha Winkler had four.

Each team hit two threes. Johnson and Taylor each with one for Unaka; Hyde with two for Washburn.

Thanks Krich,

I've been anxiously awaiting the re-cap while listening to some Jethro Tull. Go 'Betsy. Now I'm anxiously awaiting the Krich- Rangers / Landers regional title preview.

Krich, my "officials" comment was not directed at anyone, it was just an observation. Sorry if it seemed otherwise.

Rebounds were EHS 31-Unicoi 29.

In the post-season, Unicoi became the team everyone thought they could be. A District Championship and strong Regional showing is nothing to be ashamed of. Elizabethton was very fortunate to beat them last night.

Go Lady Cyclones!