Region 2AAA Semifinals

Know Nothing

The other Region 2-AAA thread has been high-jacked by a Farragut student, so I thought I would start another one.

I got three out of four on my predictions for the first round, thinking that Halls would beat Bearden. Here's my take on the second round:

Karns vs. Powell -- These team split this year, with Powell winning an early season double overtime game and Karns winning in February by 1. Matchup-wise, this game should favor Powell. Powell's guards are quick enough and athletic enough to guard Booher and Roth, and Powell's front-line has a clear advantage in Conner and Seymore. In fact, Karns has no one on their team who can shut down Conner. However, Karns' "Air Force/Princeton"-style offense is very hard to guard man-to-man. Powell will have to find some way of guarding Karns that eliminates their transition three. I think it will be a great game for three quarters. Karns has been on a high for quite a while, and I just think that they have peaked. Look for Powell to break open a close game late and win going away. Powell by 11.

Bearden vs. Maryville -- I really thought Halls would beat Bearden, so that fact that they are here surprises me. Bearden's guard play has not been that good this year, but it has gotten significantly better lately. Their guards have good size, if not great athleticism, and it probably gave Halls fits. Moreover, Jenkins and Simpson are very good post players. Having said all that, Maryville is more physical and talented in the post than Halls was and my guess is that Maryville advances. They are playing good basketball and they will have to keep Douglas out of foul trouble or Jenkins and Simpson could make a difference. Another concern is that sometimes Maryville goes ice cold shooting the ball (first Oak Ridge game). They can't have any long dry spells, because Mark Blevins knows how to coach with a lead. Maryville by 7.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic