Elizabethton vs Stone Memorial

pantherdad

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CycloneFan, screenandroll, Both very good, and very classy posts. All I can add is, as a father, I've been there. It hurts. Gosh, it still hurts when I think back. But Fan, you're absolutely right, Only One Team will Not feel this way this time next week.

Screen, I agree with your observation that it appeared much too early to play stall ball, but like both of you said, Stone Memorial is a very good, and just as importantly, a Very Confident team.

The Elizabethton guards have been criticized; but they've also been asked to do a lot. Three seasons ago, it was Whitney Bishop and Tanya Dykes; the year before last - - Valneesha Redd and Cameron Crapps; and of course, Cameron was still here last year. But again, CycloneFan is right; they were playing against some very good ones. I didn't see the Nationally Ranked Stephenson, Georgia team, but Lyndsay Smith and Chelsea Brown were, by far, the best pair I got to see play this season. Oh, and they're only Juniors!

But it's more than that. Everybody that entered the game for the Lady Panthers was very good with, and away from the basketball. And though Elizabethton also managed to cause a few turnovers, we just got the feeling the game's pace seemed to favor the Lady Panthers.

We could go on and on about Stone Memorial, and deservedly so, but just a word about the Elizabethton Seniors: AWESOME! Michaela was, as always, Unstoppable; Marti Bush and Victoria Hopson saved their best for the last quarter, of their last game. Brianne Gouge and Casey Crockett join them in sharing what, 111 Victories?!

Finally, Elizabethton could've played better. But nothing any of us are trying to say should be misunderstood as making excuses, or to take anything away from a very good group of Lady Panthers.

QUOTE(CycloneFan @ Mar 3 2007 - 08:31 PM) 826398696[/snapback]Hats off to Stone--they are a very good team. Maybe the best guards EHS has seen this year this side of Stephenson GA.

Difference in the game was foul shots----Stone made 16 in a row from the end of the third till the last minute, 20-25 overall; EHS was 6-15 on FTs overall, 3-11 in the first half with several of the misses in both halves being front ends of 1+1s. Also turnovers---EHS had 31. But with that said, it was a one point game at 39-38 with about 3 minutes to go. Stone just made the plays to win the game. Great crowd tonight.

EHS stats were: Bush 12 points, 6 rebounds; Pietrowski 10 points 17 rebounds; Hopson 11 points; Treadway, Jones and Fritz 3 each; Culler 2.

I am so proud of these girls and coaches. Only one team will not feel this way in AA by this time next week.

Coachh17 we left it on the court tonight. Coulda played better and smarter. Oh well thats the breaks of the game.

class post

QUOTE(screenandroll @ Mar 3 2007 - 03:05 PM) 826398353[/snapback]Don't look for Coach Kemp to show much interest. I've have know numerous players that could have played for them and they were not even talked too. It's a shame that not many area players are looked at by ETSU. If their program was on another level I might understand them looking in another direction, but with the seasons and success (or lack of) they have had over the past fifteen years our area players could have helped them. Michaela could play on the level of ETSU and be one of their better players.

Again, I've accidentally stumbled across one of my favorite subjects on this thread. ETSU is famous among Tri Cities area coaches of all different sports for lack of interest in local athletes. (and they wonder why football - or any other sport for that matter, can't draw a crowd there - THERE ARE NO LOCAL ATHLETES PLAYING THERE!!!) I actually did some research on this last year. There were 14 athletic programs altogether at ETSU for men & women & 17 local athletes (from Greene Co. east) playing on these teams. Baseball however had 9 of those players. Take those away and you have 8 local athletes playing on 13 teams. ETSU complains because they can't get local support and guess what, with a record like that THEY DON'T DESERVE LOCAL SUPPORT!! You'll never convince me that there aren't quite a few local athletes that could help ETSU in a lot of different sports but I guess they'll keep looking in other states for their athletes. I could go on & on about this one.

QUOTE(betsyfballfan60 @ Mar 3 2007 - 10:54 PM) 826398866[/snapback]Congrats to the Lady Panthers. They Had Great Spirit, However the Silly String was over kill. As for the game. the team that makes its FT's and Lay-ups wins. The Cyclones didn't do either well.

Betsyffan, have to disagree with the silly string. A trip to the state tournament for a new school. The celebration was probably mild. Did you notice their fans picking up the silly string after the game. Thought that was a class move on their part. Not many schools would have done that. True statement about the lay ups and free throws.

#12, could talk about ETSU's lack of area recruitment for our athletes forever. But it has gone on deaf ears in the past and will probably continue as long as Coach Kemp is there.

Bsktballfan, speed doesn't always win out in AA. It really comes down to who imposes their way of playing on the other. Which team controls the tempo. Was impressed with Stone's ability to pressure the ball and keep Elizabethton off balance. They hurt the Cyclones more with their half court pressure than full court. Elizabethton was unable to find the open person because of this pressure. Stone was even switching on defense and many times was guarding Pet with a much smaller player but the Cyclones were unable to get her the ball. A team with a little better guards (bigger, stronger) could take advantage of the mismatches. Stone made Elizabethton play quicker than they wanted too.

Cyclonefan, this group of seniors have had a great career. It will be something they will remember for the rest of their lives. They will look back at these times with fond memories and be proud of their accomplishments.

Krich, thanks for all the coverage and insights. Always a joy to get on here and try to match wits. Think sometimes you're just too nice but guess that's just you. Keep up the good work. Try not to let CY influence you too much.

We Stone Memorial fans are just now getting home so our posts are a bit later (by about four hours). That was an awesome game by two great teams! The Cyclones were without a doubt the classiest group of people we have been privileged to step on the floor with. Starting with the Principal and her opening remarks all the way to the congratulations after the game was over. You have a tradition of class there and it should be used as a role model for every school in the state. Of course my opinion is based on our one trip there. School spirit and student support were tremendous. Hats off to the administration for nurturing that. Your pride could be felt by all. The Lady Cyclones are a talented group of girls and this game could have went either way down to the last minute and a half. This is what HS ball is all about and it's a shame either team had to lose.

Great Job Coach's Smith, Miller, Egan and Buck, Alley and Davis. The girls were prepared and confident coming in. That's half the battle. Awesome job girls for giving it all you had down to the last second. Heart pulled you through and you have accomplished something that has never been done before in Cumberland County. We are so proud of you!!

Would really love to see this team get support from the entire county especially our friends from CCHS. I promise I and many other Stone fans would be there cheering you on if the tables were turned. We still pull for you in all games except for two and that's when we play each other.

Can't wait for the Boro! It will be an trip to remember for a lifetime!!

Gosh! I finally managed to fall asleep, then got a call from Tim Chambers. Incidentally, Substate Saturday has to be the most Sleepless night of the year for basketball fans, not to mention Parents, Players and Coaches.

As ya'll already know from a couple previous Sub-state games, Oliver Springs is the real deal. And according to Chambers, Kayla Christopher is "Even Better than advertised," obviously one of the key reasons the Lady Cats are headed to State.

#12fan, I knew it was bad; I had no idea it was that bad. Michaela has been swatting away Division One scholarships, and I'm told she's considering two local schools. It certainly appears ETSU could use a six-three, two-time all-state Center. I have to pull for Milligan in this one, but this 4.0 student-athlete has earned the opportunity to choose for herself.

Screen, You're much too kind, but as to matching wits, it's a mismatch, Totally in your favor. Like most fans, I can usually pick out the best players, but I'm often at a loss, tactically. I truly enjoy watching and pulling for our Local Ladies.

And you're certainly right in challenging the speed versus size argument. On any given night, that one could go either way. But, as a general rule, the odds favor the big guy, or gal, shooting from in the paint. The affect of Mariah's absence is very significant.

HSsportfan: Thanks for the kind words. Cyclone Pride isnt only shown in winning; although we do hate losing! One's true character shows clearly when facing adversity. This team overcame the loss of its leading scorer three weeks ago to win the Regional Championship and almost pull out a substate win.

I say again, Great Job Girls!

seminole:

You better have your track shoes on when playing Stone. "Quick" doesnt do them justice. At every position. Bench included. And all are good ballhanders. And did I mention they can shoot--either off the drive or spot up.

Getting here late because of the long drive, but I would just like to say CONGRATS to the Lady Panthers and HATS OFF to Elizabethton's welcoming and gracious administration and staff. As HS Sports fan said this is based on our one trip there but you guys are by far the classiest bunch we have had the privilege to encounter in AA.

It was a great game and I have to say my only prediction was that whomever could control the tempo would probably win it. I agree that SMHS was able to do that but it was no easy task!

Thanks again to the folks of Elizabethton for your hospitality and GO LADY PANTHERS!!!