Sullivan South as a host location

B-Ball Fan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DarkHorse @ Mar 1 2007 - 06:42 PM) 826395585[/snapback]Hold the districts in a Central location ( Big 9 = South, Central, DB, or Boone )

It makes little sense to send everybody to one end of the area unless they have an awesome place to play.

Why should those schools get the advantage of playing the district on their home floor. Not only that but hosting a District is a great fundraiser for the host school (concessions sales). Spread the wealth or have it at a neutral site. Freedom Hall would be great. However, last year they began rotating the District site and when they had it at South they set a record for attendance. This year it was THS turn and they drew significantly less. I think 07-08 is at Volunteer and 08-09 is at Crockett. Crockett has been hosting District 1 AA's tourny the last two year and everything went great. They also hosted the D-1 AAA baseball tourny.

South did a fine job...a little bit too much heat and I understand they ran out of food at times...but they did a fine job...

However, a tournament should be for the teams and the spectators...(and no district record was set last year...try 1972-73 and 1975-76 and 1992-93 and a few others)...there are three facilities that can truly handle a district and/or regional tournament and they are Viking Hall, the Buck Van Huss Dome, and Freedom Hall...Freedom Hall should be the host site, as it is a neutral site and thus no one could complain about home court advantage...conference wide split of profits...it is, of course, property of the City of Johnson City and not the school system...but it is the best place east of Knoxville.

Congratulations to the Toppers and good luck to them on Monday. Also congratulations to the Indians and good luck to them, as well.

Roll Tribe Roll

QUOTE(Skunk@home @ Mar 1 2007 - 10:10 PM) 826396026[/snapback]South did a fine job...a little bit too much heat and I understand they ran out of food at times...but they did a fine job...

However, a tournament should be for the teams and the spectators...(and no district record was set last year...try 1972-73 and 1975-76 and 1992-93 and a few others)...there are three facilities that can truly handle a district and/or regional tournament and they are Viking Hall, the Buck Van Huss Dome, and Freedom Hall...Freedom Hall should be the host site, as it is a neutral site and thus no one could complain about home court advantage...conference wide split of profits...it is, of course, property of the City of Johnson City and not the school system...but it is the best place east of Knoxville.

Congratulations to the Toppers and good luck to them on Monday. Also congratulations to the Indians and good luck to them, as well.

Roll Tribe Roll

Who played when it was 72-73? Was that they year that Dan Moody hit the half-court shot against DB at Central? Coach Warren had a picture in the locker room from that game and there was literally people hanging from the rafters.

Also, who was 92-93? I am sure it was SH and somebody. Was Jamichael Mills at DB at that time?

QUOTE(Skunk@home @ Mar 1 2007 - 10:10 PM) 826396026[/snapback]South did a fine job...a little bit too much heat and I understand they ran out of food at times...but they did a fine job...

Roll Tribe Roll

I respectfully disagree with you that THS and the Dome are better places to host a tourny than any other school. You put 2,500 people in those places and it still has a lot of empty seats. It makes for a great atmosphere for the players when the place is packed. That is why I like having it rotated. You can create that atmosphere in the smaller venues. Freedom Hall is a great location and neutral which makes it a logical site. Profits from the tournament now is split after expenses. Each school gets a equal cut however, concessions sales are not and that usually is in the neighborhood of $10000 for the host school.

Record or no record, where ever it is hosted, a city school will be playing for the championship. Look at the last 20 years. How many county teams have even played for the championship. Central about every ten years and who else? So I dont think it really gives anyone an advantage. Talent wins ball games no matter where they are played.

Good luck to District 1 in the Sub-State.

I hope the next time South host they get a better score keeper and scoreboard/clock operator. Accroding to the radio, they only have room for one official scorer and that led to a kid from Greeneville "fouling" out Tueday with only 4 fouls to the legitimate portest of his coach. And last night the scoreboard operator totally melted down by giving DB an extra point on a shot made by Jordan Edwards where he was fouled and then sounded the buzzer while he attempted the free throw (which he missed and DB got the rebound). They stopped play and spent an eternity trying to figure out what exactly was the score, time left in the qtr (somehow that got messed up trying to correct the score), and then how to give possession of the ball. They ended up calling a jump ball /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> situation and possession to the Toppers instead of just letting Jordan re-shoot the free throw. Add that to the block/charge call the other night and it wasn't a good tourney for the refs/score keepers.

Keep the PA announcer though...he has one of the best voices /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />