50% rule

jackass

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey...I am just moving here from MI, and I picked a school for my kids based on.....get this....ACADEMICS!!!!!!

Academics, student to teacher ratio, proximity to my employment. BAM, school was picked.

Then I moved down here, (while kids are still back home finishing up the school year) and I find out that HOLY CRAP, my kids my never play basketball again!!!! They might not be good enough to play at the school I picked. I should have picked some slug school that my kids could have played sports at!!! haahahaha...KIDDING on that last part only. They may not be good enough to play.....oh well. Life goes on.

as far as the rest of these rules....the only one I can comment on is the home/away jerseys. The home jerseys should always be white. Away should be your alternate color. And be glad you dont have to alternate odd and even #s for home and away jerseys. Example: Earvin Johnsons Home jersey in HS was white...#32. His away jersey, Red # 33. All home and away jerseys have been like that up there since..............as long as I can remember. 70s is about as far back as I go...that is why I used this example!!!

QUOTE(bigchief @ Mar 2 2007 - 08:18 AM) 826396571[/snapback]No, it is not official. It will have no bearing on middle school anyway because the TSSAA only governs sports at the high school level. Not being a member of the TMSAA is no big deal at all. Many are not members.

Questions: What if your middle school is a member of the TMSAA? Does the rule (if passed) apply to only the middle schools that are members....or does the rule not apply to any and or all middle school teams?

I've heard the vote is March 12th. Is this correct?

Boy, I remember back in the good ole days when you played ball because it was FUN !! Too many coaches and parents make youth and school ball seem more like a job than a game. Used to when one season ended you changed out your bag and added the equipment necessary for the next sport that was starting. In my opinion, which doesn't count for much, bring back the GOOD OLE DAYS !! Whoever says that AAU is not just legal recruiting is blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. In our little corner of southeast TN I can name about 5 or 6 cases of girls who played AAU out of their county and when their freshman year rolled around they were suddenly driving 25 miles to school instead of just down the road.

QUOTE(knight2 @ Mar 5 2007 - 01:20 AM) 826400130[/snapback]I would like this rule because kids needs a break. Most coaches have 2 weeks during the summer and then they have camps so I believe that is the only way to do it for them. Plus this way you can go on a real vaction not a vaction to watch your kid play ball.

In what way would this rule stop a player who wants to play ball from playing? It wouldn't.

And we take vacation during "dead weeks".

QUOTE(bucdaddio @ Mar 5 2007 - 08:54 PM) 826401081[/snapback]In what way would this rule stop a player who wants to play ball from playing? It wouldn't.

And we take vacation during "dead weeks".

Do we really need another rule? There are standards already in place about HS coaches being involved with AAU. Shouldn't that be enough?

I wouldn't think that most high school parents are forcing their daughters to play summer ball. It has been my experience that the girls who play in 15-under as well as older divisions are doing it because they love to play the game. I know that many of our girls who play summer ball also participate in either soccer or volleyball will school starts back up. So they ARE playing other sports too.

QUOTE(McMinn Central Maniac @ Mar 7 2007 - 05:59 AM) 826403134[/snapback]Do we really need another rule? There are standards already in place about HS coaches being involved with AAU. Shouldn't that be enough?

I wouldn't think that most high school parents are forcing their daughters to play summer ball. It has been my experience that the girls who play in 15-under as well as older divisions are doing it because they love to play the game. I know that many of our girls who play summer ball also participate in either soccer or volleyball will school starts back up. So they ARE playing other sports too.

I really think the rule is trying to cut down on recruiting.

I think the ideas that, "We've created a monster" and "The kids need a break" should be left up to the child and their family. I can assure you that there are kids out there that were ready to roll as soon as their season ended. The mentality of my kids was, "When can we start AAU." If a kid needs a break, then the high school coach should be an adult about it and give that child a break, but the other kids that are "go-getters" should not be penalized because several individuals need a break. Why would we tell a child that wants to improve that they can't because they need a break? To me that is a total contradiction to what society is telling the kids, "Be all that you can be."

I didnt think I would ever say this but I truly like the way we handle this back home. In Michigan the HS coach can have ZERO contact with the AAU or Jr Pro teams.

If you coach Jr. Pro, your days as a middle school coach are DONE. Same with AAU. HS coaches coach HS. AAU Coaches coach AAU. They cannot communicate back and forth. If they do, they are suspended, and the HS team forfeits its season.

I don't see a problem with a kid playing year round as long as it is what the kid wants to do. There are many situations that I know of where the kid is wanting out, and the parent is still pushing. There are no where near as many scholarships as there are kids(parents) wanting them.

I also dont see a problem with a kid playing just one sport, or a kid playing 3 sports. I see the advantage in both.

One Sport, year round: the kid plays better, has a better feel for the game, and the parents dont have to worry about outfitting a kid in several sports

Two or more sports: Maybe the kid is a little more well rounded. One sport helps with strength and conditioning for another sport. I had several football players that only played football to improve something they were lacking in their main sport. I had a 6'10" defensive tackle, who's basketball coach told me to "toughen him up". I had him for 2 years, he never started a game, and barely played, but went to college on a basketball scholarship. (Big 10) Variety can be the spice of life.

Parents: If you want to push your kid to get a college scholarship, push them to get an academic scholarship. Push them hard. If they love the game, and the game loves them, the scholarships will come. I know of one very high profile kid in TN that will get a scholarship, but will spend her college career on the bench, because she just doesnt like to play ball that badly. It is a shame.

PUSH THEM TO LEARN SOMETHING IN SCHOOL. SPORTS ARE SECONDARY!!

and oh by the way: my kid..... my kid asked me to push her harder in basketball, because she doesnt think she will be good enough to play in HS if I dont. I told her that as long as her grades stay where they are, I will push her. She may be too much like her dad to play in HS, but we are getting there. hahaha

QUOTE(coach15 @ Mar 2 2007 - 03:57 PM) 826397214[/snapback]This is rule is just crazy...also the idea of making home teams have to wear white is crazy. They did that in KY this season, majority of teams wore silver. I agree with coach in article you hardly ever have two teams show up with the same color jerseys on.

I actually worked a game this year where both teams -- boys and girls -- wore white uniforms. It's a good rule to guarantee that there will be contrasting colors.