Big 9 teams

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOUND ON TRICITIESSPORTS.COM

Girls' All-Big 9

Player of the Year -- Danielle Montgomery, Tennessee High Sophomore (Averaged 17 ppg, 6 rbs, 3 apg, 3 spg while leading team to second straight title).

Brandy Barton, Volunteer Senior (13 ppg, 5 rbs)

Erica Blizard, Sullivan Central Freshman (10 ppg, 5 rbs, 3 apg)

Jordan Douglas, Science Hill Junior (12 ppg, 73 percent on free throws)

Blaine Frohlich, Dobyns-Bennett Freshman (12 ppg, 11 rbs, 94 blocked shots. First Lady Indian to average a double-double as a freshman ).

Johnesia Good, Science Hill Sophomore (11 ppg, 55 percent from field, 76 percent on FTs)

Nikita Jones, Tennessee High Junior (10 ppg, 5 rbs, 3 steals per game)

Jessica Keck, Sullivan East Senior (9 ppg, 7 rbs)

Ashton Kaylor, Tennessee High Senior (8 ppg, 6 rbs. Will play at Emory & Henry)

Sabra Lawson, Dobyns-Bennett Senior (15 ppg, 8 rbs. D-B's second all-time leading scorer with 1,524 points)

Whitney Moody, Sullivan Central Sophomore (15 ppg, 8 rbs)

Lauren Murr, David Crockett Sophomore (15 ppg, 3 steals)

Holly Nickels, Daniel Boone Senior (11 ppg, 7 rbs, 4 apgs)

Natalie Pickwell, Sullivan South Junior (14 ppg, 6 rbs)

Tara Tranum, Tennessee High Senior (9 ppg, 4 rbs. Signed with South Carolina Upstate, which joins A-Sun next season).

Samantha Williams, Sullivan South Junior (16 ppg, 8 rbs, 3 apg).

Coach of the Year -- Kim Bright, Tennessee High (led team to 15-1 record and regular-season title. Also won District I title).

Girls' All-Underclass Team

Grace Collins, Sullivan South

Jasmine Foster, Science Hill

Laiken Gilliam, Volunteer

Tori Head, Dobyns-Bennett

Jaimee Hill, Science Hill

Ashley Johnson, Sullivan South

Ashley Kelly, Volunteer (Honorary)

Lindsay Loudermilk, Sullivan East

Shanque Price, Volunteer

Kelsey Trivett, Sullivan East

Honorable Mention

Daniel Boone -- Megan Caldwell, Autumn Gillis, Caroline Deakins

David Crockett -- Allison Chaney

Dobyns-Bennett -- Jill Childress

Science Hill -- Emma MacMillan, Ashley Scott

Sullivan Central -- Shauna Haga, Christina Howard, Andrea Johnson

Sullivan East -- Kaycee Roberts, Samantha Starnes, Megan Vannoy

Sullivan South -- Bridgette Coates

Tennessee High -- Lindsey Bowers, Kendra Snapp

Volunteer -- Chanoa Bledsoe, Jessi Drinnon

It is the coaches. An individual coach can nominate their athletes or someone from another team(I think) but when it comes to voting on the team you cannot vote for your own athletes. I lost all faith several years ago in the ability to pick the most appropriate team. Too many politics involved. A lot of times the the higher your team finishes the more players that will make the team though that is not always the case. There is also someone from every team picked and that should not need to be the case.

This year's picks by school

Regular season finish

1 - Tennessee High (4)

2 -Science Hill (2)

3 - Dobyns-Bennett (2)

4 - Sullivan Central (2)

5 - Sullivan South (2)

6 - Daniel Boone (1)

7 - Sullivan East (1)

8 - Volunteer (1)

9 - David Crockett (1)

Do you see a pattern here? You would have a must better chance to make the All-Conference team from a weaker team if you have a high scoring average than a top team with balanced scoring. Just looking at this year's team I would think that maybe SH deserved another pick rather than TH getting 4. Maybe Head from D-B or Caldwell from Boone deserves it. No question that there are players on the HM list that belong on the All-Conference list ahead of some that are on it because they are their school's representative. Like I said I quit putting stock in these teams a long time ago in any sport.

QUOTE(Slipstream1 @ Mar 6 2007 - 09:33 AM) 826401874[/snapback]It is the coaches. An individual coach can nominate their athletes or someone from another team(I think) but when it comes to voting on the team you cannot vote for your own athletes. I lost all faith several years ago in the ability to pick the most appropriate team. Too many politics involved. A lot of times the the higher your team finishes the more players that will make the team though that is not always the case. There is also someone from every team picked and that should not need to be the case.

This year's picks by school

Regular season finish

1 - Tennessee High (4)

2 -Science Hill (2)

3 - Dobyns-Bennett (2)

4 - Sullivan Central (2)

5 - Sullivan South (2)

6 - Daniel Boone (1)

7 - Sullivan East (1)

8 - Volunteer (1)

9 - David Crockett (1)

Do you see a pattern here? You would have a must better chance to make the All-Conference team from a weaker team if you have a high scoring average than a top team with balanced scoring. Just looking at this year's team I would think that maybe SH deserved another pick rather than TH getting 4. Maybe Head from D-B or Caldwell from Boone deserves it. No question that there are players on the HM list that belong on the All-Conference list ahead of some that are on it because they are their school's representative. Like I said I quit putting stock in these teams a long time ago in any sport.

I would definately not put Head on the all conference team. Gillis from Boone is a much better point guard than her. Head was unable to handle pressure and turned the ball over too many times.

I agree with that assesment. Gillis and Caldwell. Science Hill's point guard handled pressure fairly well too, before her knee injury took her out. Gillis can be amazing sometimes, though. Although she still swears it was an accident (probably to keep her coach from killing her), I saw her dribble the ball between the South Greene point guard's legs, then drive for a layup.

You can't tell me that Tranum is a better post than Caldwell or Frolich. Anybody that believes that, I'll bring the basketball and we'll watch them go 1 on 1.

Also, I am the first person to say that Kim Bright is one of the best coaches in the Big 9, I said it before the season started, but my vote would go to Barnwell from Science Hill. Let's face it, until the last couple of seasons, a game against SH was considered a breather for the top teams. Now they are one of the big dogs, he has turned that program completely around in a short time.

Or how about Tim Campbell finally reining in a wild up and down team that struggled to stay at .500, and shaping them up, and going 2 games deep into the Regional before falling by 1 pt. to Greeneville?

I know the coaches are going to try to get their players on there, and that's why, if you want it to be based on performance, you would have to let the media decide or something.

Buc saw Boone 3 times against the greenies. could not believe their improvement every time. I don't know why but early in the year they just did not seem to be able to give their individualism to Coach Campbell (A Dandy) But he seem to pull them together. I said all year that Boone was very athletic.

QUOTE(noonesfool @ Mar 6 2007 - 04:51 PM) 826402495[/snapback]Buc saw Boone 3 times against the greenies. could not believe their improvement every time. I don't know why but early in the year they just did not seem to be able to give their individualism to Coach Campbell (A Dandy) But he seem to pull them together. I said all year that Boone was very athletic.

Campbell is a great coach. I have watched his teams for years and they are always there at the end. Nothing against the coach at Greenevile now but I wish Campbell was here in Greene County and if the trueth be told he should have been down here a few years back.

Congratulations to everyone in the Big Nine for what they accomplished this year.

QUOTE(CycloneFan @ Mar 6 2007 - 08:59 PM) 826402895[/snapback]The Lady Cyclones marquee wins this year included two over Boone, one over Science Hill and one over Tennessee High. Gillis over Head anyday. Frolich and Caldwell over either or both of TN Highs posts. Just my opinion. Wonder when the Watauga will release their all conference team?

agree

QUOTE(CycloneFan @ Mar 6 2007 - 09:59 PM) 826402895[/snapback]The Lady Cyclones marquee wins this year included two over Boone, one over Science Hill and one over Tennessee High. Gillis over Head anyday. Frolich and Caldwell over either or both of TN Highs posts. Just my opinion. Wonder when the Watauga will release their all conference team?

I guess if anyone of the other high schools had placed 1st this outcome might be different. THS was predicted to be about fifth in the Big 9 and because they lost five seniors last year everyone thought this would be a weaker team. As we have seen, THS came back and placed 1st in the Big 9 and 1st in the District. Both of the post players you are speaking about have commitments to play in colleges. Evidently those college coaches see something in these girls you have not. If we took the time to re-look at each player from every team, it would be hard to pick just a few 15 or so for this team. There are several young ladies with talent and some have more than others. Just like watching the refs, we might not like the call but we have to live with the outcome.

Congrats to all the girls on a season well played and honors earned.