A question for Div. II fans

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 15 2007 - 08:42 AM) 826412642[/snapback]and the world is flat.

Coaches are able to draw students from all over if it is open zoneing. In MP there is a zone and MP cannot have kids from Columbia or SH. They have to have a permanet address change in the MP zone to be able to play ball for MP. If it were open zoning kids could just travel the 30- 45 minutes to play without any conflict. That is a problem with the publics, and we all know how open it is with the privates. They can have kids from 9 to 10 differerent counties attend with no conflict.

If some counties have "open zones" for schools and you feel that it is not fair then you need to speak with your county school board. Maybe Maury County should look at having an open zone school system. You are not going to convince the other counties or the TSSAA to have seperate classifications for all the different types of schools, so maybe you should work on the school system in your own backyard.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 15 2007 - 08:42 AM) 826412642[/snapback]Coaches are able to draw students from all over if it is open zoneing. In MP there is a zone and MP cannot have kids from Columbia or SH. They have to have a permanet address change in the MP zone to be able to play ball for MP. If it were open zoning kids could just travel the 30- 45 minutes to play without any conflict. That is a problem with the publics, and we all know how open it is with the privates. They can have kids from 9 to 10 differerent counties attend with no conflict.

Don't believe you are correct on part of this, sir. All anyone in Maury County has to do to attend any school in the county is to take a class that school offers that nobody else in the county offers. Every school has unique course offerings, so technically, anyone could go anywhere. I would be willing to bet that there are kids at Mt. Pleasant who do not live within its friendly confines.

Wait, wait, wait...so would that make it possible that one of those students could participate in football and even contributed to MPHS's team this year? My, oh my. Get 'em out of 1A! That is sooooooo unfair to the rural, public, small, poor, closed-zone schools. MP needs to start their own league with the rest of those no good rural, public, small, poor, open-zoned schools.

One thing is for sure, no private schools had out-of-zone players on roster last season. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ Mar 15 2007 - 11:43 PM) 826413780[/snapback]Don't believe you are correct on part of this, sir. All anyone in Maury County has to do to attend any school in the county is to take a class that school offers that nobody else in the county offers. Every school has unique course offerings, so technically, anyone could go anywhere. I would be willing to bet that there are kids at Mt. Pleasant who do not live within its friendly confines.

I'd guarantee that there are MP kids enrolled and playing sports that live outside the zone.

In addition ... here is a Tennessean story of a Maury county co-op player:

http://preps.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...54&game_id=

Yes, I understand Culleoka doesn't have football ... still is an open zone.

QUOTE(cbg @ Mar 15 2007 - 10:39 AM) 826412810[/snapback]If some counties have "open zones" for schools and you feel that it is not fair then you need to speak with your county school board. Maybe Maury County should look at having an open zone school system. You are not going to convince the other counties or the TSSAA to have seperate classifications for all the different types of schools, so maybe you should work on the school system in your own backyard.

We are talking about an even playing field. Open zoning needs to be addressed with publics and recruiting by privates.

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ Mar 15 2007 - 11:43 PM) 826413780[/snapback]Don't believe you are correct on part of this, sir. All anyone in Maury County has to do to attend any school in the county is to take a class that school offers that nobody else in the county offers. Every school has unique course offerings, so technically, anyone could go anywhere. I would be willing to bet that there are kids at Mt. Pleasant who do not live within its friendly confines.

I could see your point if MP was the biggest school in Maury Co. There isnt a class in MP that isnt offered in the bigger schools of Central and Spring Hill. If anything kids from MP would go there for different classes. And our confines are pretty friendly. LOL. I know CA fans love it down here.

QUOTE(KublahKD @ Mar 16 2007 - 01:32 AM) 826413837[/snapback]One thing is for sure, no private schools had out-of-zone players on roster last season. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I know there zone is the United States. LOL.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 16 2007 - 07:21 AM) 826413935[/snapback]I know there zone is the United States. LOL.

Actually, I do believe there is a "zone" for private schools. Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind, I heard that there is a "so many" mile area that students are allowed to come from. Please correct me if I am wrong. (and that was not adressed to you, MPHS... I know what your response would be to that! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> )

MPHS, we are getting ready to head out for our Spring training in soccer. I have room on the bus! I am sure 3 a days would be a breeze for you! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

QUOTE(BigG @ Mar 16 2007 - 11:17 AM) 826414114[/snapback]Actually, I do believe there is a "zone" for private schools. Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind, I heard that there is a "so many" mile area that students are allowed to come from. Please correct me if I am wrong. (and that was not adressed to you, MPHS... I know what your response would be to that! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> )

MPHS, we are getting ready to head out for our Spring training in soccer. I have room on the bus! I am sure 3 a days would be a breeze for you! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

LOL. You are killin me BigG. I mean I'm going to have a heart attack having to watch all this basketball. For pete sake I they didnt even show Survivor. I was really mad. As far a "zone" mileage, do they have a limit on how many different counties you can draw kids from? LOL. That was a joke FCS. LOL. Good luck with soccer camp BigG.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 16 2007 - 12:16 PM) 826414205[/snapback]LOL. You are killin me BigG. I mean I'm going to have a heart attack having to watch all this basketball. For pete sake I they didnt even show Survivor. I was really mad. As far a "zone" mileage, do they have a limit on how many different counties you can draw kids from? LOL. That was a joke FCS. LOL. Good luck with soccer camp BigG.

Just for the record, FCS's Website proclaims the the school draws children from 9 different counties. After Mphstigers87 wouldn't stop bringing it up over and over and over again. I check into it a little bit, do you know how many different counties the football team consists of??? 2 not 9

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ Mar 16 2007 - 02:46 PM) 826414339[/snapback]Just for the record, FCS's Website proclaims the the school draws children from 9 different counties.

What?! I have never heard that on here before?! MPHS, did you know this? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

FCS, I wish I had a $ for each time he said it... I might be able to buy MPHS some new soccer cleats!

QUOTE(BigG @ Mar 16 2007 - 05:39 PM) 826414514[/snapback]What?! I have never heard that on here before?! MPHS, did you know this? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

FCS, I wish I had a $ for each time he said it... I might be able to buy MPHS some new soccer cleats!

Are you serious about the players not even having soccer cleats??? FCS students purchase thier own soccer cleats but it would be a real tragedy if Mt. Pleasant was trying to play soccer in football cleats or old school chuck taylors.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 16 2007 - 08:21 AM) 826413935[/snapback]I could see your point if MP was the biggest school in Maury Co. There isnt a class in MP that isnt offered in the bigger schools of Central and Spring Hill. If anything kids from MP would go there for different classes. And our confines are pretty friendly. LOL. I know CA fans love it down here.

I don't claim to be an expert on school choice in Maury County but I know that a few years ago, EVERY high school in the county offered a UNIQUE course so that ANYONE in the county could go to ANY school in the county. And why shouldn't they be able to? Every taxpayer should have that freedom like they do in Memphis and other areas of the state.

I wonder if Demario Williams lives in Culleoka's "zone?" I have it on pretty good authority that he does not. Does he have the right to go to Cully even if he lives in Spring Hill or Columbia? ABSOLUTELY! I imagine some kids from MP go to Central and I would be willing to bet, if I was a betting man, that MPHS has some kids from Mule Town. More power to them! Some kids would do better in a smaller school than they would at a larger school. They should have that choice!

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ Mar 17 2007 - 12:22 AM) 826415114[/snapback]Are you serious about the players not even having soccer cleats??? FCS students purchase thier own soccer cleats but it would be a real tragedy if Mt. Pleasant was trying to play soccer in football cleats or old school chuck taylors.

No... MPHS is a closet soccer fan. He just doesn't know it yet.