Tri-County Seven All-Stars

krichunaka

If we were having tryouts, several who are not on the top list would be invited. Cloudland has five such players; Elizabethton, four; but ultimately, the fulll-time starters get the nod here. Feel free to comment on individual players, and add players you like; but please keep it positive.

The 2006 - 2007 Tri-County Seven All-Stars

Center - Michaela Pietrowski - Alisha Mainer - Jessica Mathies

Power Forward - Kayla Winters - Marti Bush - Jennifer Edwards

Small Forward - Brittany Scott - Josie McKinney - Summer Ward - Mikki Oliver

Shooting Guard - Payge Barnett - Victoria Hopson - Santana Clawson

Point Guard - Alicia Engle - April McCloud - Andrea Tinsman - Brooke Johnson

Comeback Player of the Year - Sallee Taylor - As Unaka's only senior, she had already endured not one, but consecutive reconstructive surgeries, first, to her ankle, then her A C L. She led a youthful group of Lady Rangers to a very competitive substate game at Oliver Springs.

Honorary Member - Mariah Pietrowski - Mariah's injury probably cost Elizabethton a trip to

Murfreesboro.

Freshman of the Year - Natalie Johnson - As big sister, Megan, can attest, starting at the Point for Unaka High School is a tremendous challenge, made especially difficult this season by Unaka's youth. Natalie follows sophomore teammate, Kayla Winters, last season's Freshman of the Year.

Honorable Mention - Whitney Andrews - Andrea Lewis - Rebekah Tolley - Brianne Gouge - Kyla Jones - Jasmine Treadway - Kaleigh Elsea - Stephanie Keranen - Kelli Culler - Lynz Canady - Hannah Fritz - Tiffanie Harrald - Megan Holtsclaw - Jordan Miller - Katie Hyder - Sydnie Buchanan - Shellie McKinney - Chelsi Whitlock

Coach of the Year: Matt Birchfield - Cloudland had three seniors, and a very good sophomore class, and ended up right where they were expected to be. In Murfreesboro. Single-A Cloudland also thrashed Double-A Powers Unicoi County and South Greene at home, and won three-of-four against Unaka.

Kenneth Chambers - The second injury to Sallee Taylor, and the off-the-court distractions led to Unaka's 0 and 7 start. But in their final game of the season, the Lady Rangers fought back from a six to nineteen, first quarter deficit and took a late third quarter lead before losing to Tennessee's runner-up, and only after Unaka's leading scorer fouled out midway through the fourth quarter. Pretty amazing!

Larry Weems - The Lady Cyclones were very talented, and had the most dominant player in the Tri-Counties, but Larry Weems endured tremendous physical pain and emotional stress while leading the talented Lady Cyclones to Sub-state. And it can not be overstated, the affect of losing Mariah Pietrowski to injury just before tournament play started.

Leon Tolley - Though the lack of talent was often, and is still being overstated, Coach Tolley was outstanding. More than anything, he's won the unfettered confidence of his players. If he finds a post game this season, watch out!

Glenn Fisher - Just when many of us were writing off Unicoi County, Coach Fisher's team pulled off two amazing wins over Elizabethton and South Greene in District play; and except for the final minute-ten of the Region Semi-Finals at Afton, the Lady Blue Devils could have played in Murfreesboro.

Game(s) of the Season:

Elizabethton over Unicoi County - 42 - 40 Region One Semi-Final

Unaka's 39 - 35 win over Cloudland at Unaka.

Hampton's overtime win over Happy Valley

Final Tri-County Seven

1) Cloudland - Made it To Murfreesboro.

1) Elizabethton - So close.

3) Unicoi County - District Tournament Champs.

4) Unaka - Great game at Oliver Springs.

5) Hampton - Lost last four games.

6) Happy Valley - Finished season 2 and 8.

7) Johnson County - Young but promising.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(coachh17 @ Mar 12 2007 - 10:46 AM) 826408971[/snapback]Krich,

Good job. Since you are much closer than I, I'll go with yours and no arguments.

Actually (and I'll deny this /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" ), I took your post from the "Tri-County Seven - Wonderful Season" thread to heart; and you were right on the money. I didn't settle on the MVP or Coach of the Year choices, per se, but again, it's difficult to agrue with your selections, and especially your statement about MP-53. She was so dominant, and I'm still hoping to see her play the college game.

And, incidentally, my niece, Hollie, forwarded your words of condolence to the Fines. I'll get back to you on that, and other matters soon.

And, it wouldn't surprise me to see two, possibly three signings from good ole EHS very soon. Wouldn't that be the icing on the old H. F. coaching cake?

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Mar 12 2007 - 01:43 PM) 826409150[/snapback]Actually (and I'll deny this /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" ), I took your post from the "Tri-County Seven - Wonderful Season" thread to heart; and you were right on the money. I didn't settle on a MVP or Coach of the Year, per se, but again, it's difficult to agrue with your selections, and especially your statement about MP-53. She was so dominant, and I'm still hoping to see her play the college game.

And, incidentally, my niece, Hollie, forwarded your words of condolence to the Fines. I'll get back to you on that, and other matters soon.

And, it wouldn't surprise me to see two, possibly three signings from good ole EHS very soon. Wouldn't that be the icing on the old H. F. coaching cake?

Krich,

Have you ever noticed how everyone bails as soon as the state tournament is over? There is usually very little interest on the postseason awards on these boards. Thanks for forwarding the condolences. I would love to see Michaela, Marti, and Victoria sign if they want to play, but if not, it has been enough just to watch them develop into classy young ladies ready to make their mark in life. I'll be moving over to the softball boards now to see if the senior Lady Cyclones can finally get over the Unicoi Co. hump. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

QUOTE(coachh17 @ Mar 12 2007 - 01:27 PM) 826409194[/snapback]Krich,

Have you ever noticed how everyone bails as soon as the state tournament is over? There is usually very little interest on the postseason awards on these boards. Thanks for forwarding the condolences. I would love to see Michaela, Marti, and Victoria sign if they want to play, but if not, it has been enough just to watch them develop into classy young ladies ready to make their mark in life. I'll be moving over to the softball boards now to see if the senior Lady Cyclones can finally get over the Unicoi Co. hump. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

As a Plus Member, I'm expecting you to follow up with us on the baskeball happenings. And I'll certainly need your help with the Tri-County Seven Softball Weekly.

I havent jumped ship; I've just been out of town for a few days. I don't have alot to add or take away from Krich's very well thought out post. I do think the Lady Cyclone juniors deserve some mention; honorable of course!! Those four (Treadway, Culler, Jones and Fritz) all played key roles in the Lady Cyclone success this season. All came up big at various times in big games. They will proudly carry the Lady Cyclone Senior flag next year!

QUOTE(CycloneFan @ Mar 12 2007 - 02:53 PM) 826409295[/snapback]I havent jumped ship; I've just been out of town for a few days. I don't have alot to add or take away from Krich's very well thought out post. I do think the Lady Cyclone juniors deserve some mention; honorable of course!! Those four (Treadway, Culler, Jones and Fritz) all played key roles in the Lady Cyclone success this season. All came up big at various times in big games. They will proudly carry the Lady Cyclone Senior flag next year!

Some valid points. And, as you know, Jasmine is a personal favorite. But most embarrassing, I mistakenly left Hannah's name off completely. That part, I will immediately correct. Just her tournament play was worthy of at least High honorable mention; and the Bomb in Afton was one of the biggest shots of the season!

And, when we consider that Kyla Jones, like Andrea Lewis of Unaka, made All-Regional Tournament, it became even more difficult to choose. I actually wanted to settle on two point-guards, and add a shooter, but the versatility of these four is noteworthy.

Here's a closer look at the four who were chosen:

Alicia Engle - Three-year starter for Unicoi County. Great all-around, Scholarship-athlete (Milligan -Softball).

Andrea Tinsman - Played a lot as a freshman for former coach Leslie Campbell, and survived three coaching changes. At five-foot-none, Andrea was one of the Lady Bulldogs leading rebounders, and (IMO) Hampton's best defender.

April McCloud - Senior leader, and a very stout, athletic player, who, as EHS fans are very-well aware, is in the thousand-point club.

Brooke Johnson, won three MVPs and led her team to Murfreesboro.

You are right Screen, krich wont do that on a triple dog dare. And neither will I. The talent pool is just too deep across the classes. The coaches vote on the all conference teams, and they don't limit it to just five; seems like its more like a dozen.

It will be interesting to see if anyone takes a stab at a 'starting 5' for this years tri county seven.

QUOTE(CycloneFan @ Mar 12 2007 - 09:07 PM) 826409680[/snapback]You are right Screen, krich wont do that on a triple dog dare. And neither will I. The talent pool is just too deep across the classes. The coaches vote on the all conference teams, and they don't limit it to just five; seems like its more like a dozen.

It will be interesting to see if anyone takes a stab at a 'starting 5' for this years tri county seven.

Come on Fan. I will get this started. Maybe Krich will join in.

First Team Tri-County (will take the team from Krich's picks)

Post - Petrowski, most dominating inside player in our area. When the desire was there she could change and set the tone of any game.

Power Forward - Manier, believe she is more of a power forward than a true post player.

Small Forward - Oliver, can do most anything player. If she had some more size could be a dominating player.

Shooting Guard - Barnett, probably the most consistant of the bunch.

Point Guard- Johnson, maybe a better scorer than the others. Proven to be able to play big in big games.

My interest hasn't diminished guys...just been in The 'Boro!

And trying to catch up at the office, I should add.

No disagreements with your choices, I think all are quite capable. Obviously, I'm more familiar with Cloudland's team, and I see no reason to doubt we will be back in the state tournament next year. Our seniors are leaving, but will be replaced with a couple additional sophomores moving up from jv only last year to join the existing core group. May have a freshman on varsity, but I'm not sure about that.

And don't forget, our girls 8th grade team won their State (Sectional) Championship this year as well. I think our jv will be just fine next year also.

Pretty cool for Cloudland to put three of the four eliglible teams in the state tournament in one year. Girls and boys varsity, and the girls 8th grade. The boys 8th had a chance to go as well, but let it slip away. However, they did win the football sectional championship. Looking up for Cloudland athletics in the next couple of years.

Gotta get the kids off to school...

The Highlander

Screen, CycloneFan, et al,

Any of you could better me in picking a starting five, but I'll give-er-a-whirl. Sorta.

Because All-Stars can be exceedingly self-assured, the first challenge is Motivation. Finding and accepting roles is next on the list. So, rather than concentrate on Starters, per se, I'd work more on Combinations, on Chemistry, if that makes any sense.

With this much talent at post, and with shooters like Brittany, Santana, Payge and Victoria, point-guard play is critical. They would be expected to play more mid-range ball, with emphasis on distribution, defending the outlet, things like that. That's asking a lot from a "scoring" point guard. Great Emphasis on Fast Break Defense. No Easy Baskets!

I'd then work for the best-possible combinations of Michaela, Marti, Kayla and Alisha. Jessica, Summer, and Jennifer also figure prominently; and there are some great three guard combinations, especially with Payge, Victoria and Brittany. Brittany is a guard/forward type who can score from twenty-five feet, on in; and Payge, with that jumper, is best at hitting the outside shot, on the move.

Victoria and Santana are very good transition defensive players, which might allow for more "offensive" play by the point-guards. Just some thoughts.

P S Victoria Hopson - "Honorable Mention" All Watauga Conference? Are you kidding me?