Dobyns-Bennett Football

DBTeepee

William Blount and Oak Ridge are great non-conference rivals, but why TN High & Elizabethton? Why can't the AD arrange matchups with R2 5A teams or teams such as Maryville? WB is a great addition but this AD needs to be fired if he doesn't do better next year. I had certainty hoped for a better schedule.

Prediction: 8-3 for the season

Probably the reason you see TN High and Elizabethton on the schedule is because . . . you guessed it . . . $$less travel time & mo money$$

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the reason you see TN High and Elizabethton on the schedule is because . . . you guessed it . . . $$less travel time & mo money$$

Hey you need to worry about gilligan and what he is doing with the ship on the Hill.It seems you and some of your pals over there are blowing alot of smoke.The Hill plays alot of local games too!DB has dominated The Hill in the past,we are down this year so take your best shot!

Sounds like most db fans are already getting the ground work down for their excuses.

No excuses here.You have been on this DB thread all spring beating your drum about The Hill.Fact is we don't give excuses.Just stating if you are ever going to dominate us like we have The almighty Hill,bring it on.We are down this year no excuses or I would be beating my drum.Just because you got a new coach does not make a team.Alot of heart like DB has goes a long way.

Or is it about the AD and the coaches shooting for a better regular season record?

Money? Do you really think that if Riverdale came calling at the Fred that the place wouldn't be packed? Same for the big successful R2 5A teams. You max the ticket take by playing the big guys and making sure everyone knows its a big game. I'm tired of seeing blowouts with teams that are temporarily down on their luck like Betsy is right now. Its not good for either team.

Relative to travel expense, the drive to Murfreesboro is just not that much more $$$. Anyway, I haven't heard of any problems with cash flow in the football program.

If what you say is true and that is the thinking of those scheduling the games, its just more fodder to fuel a new AD fire that I would like to see lit.

DB and Tennessee High have had great games in the past. Not sure how old some of you are, but it hasn't been that long ago that they were considered rivals.

I've been out of DB for over 30 years. It will be that way again some day. Just not right now. TN High and DB both need to be playing teams that will prepare them for playoffs in their own class. Actually I don't object to the TN High game as much as the Elizabethton game. But I would like to see DB play Maryville rather than TN High and Riverdale rather than Betsy. That would be the perfect schedule, IMO.

Sounds like most db fans are already getting the ground work down for their excuses.

Your plow will likely be cleaned by DB - as usual, so I wouldn't stick my neck out too far.

You know, SH would be wise to look outside the area for tougher opponents too. If Region 1 5 A is going to be able to compete against region 2, all the Region 1 teams need to be doing this. Of course you're too busy bashing DB to consider that, aren't you bub.

Who the heck from SHHS is bashing D-B?? Looks to me like some of you guys are way to sensitive! Sure we play the locals too. People like to go watch their (local) team play, whether you’re from TN High, Betsy or wherever. More people, more money. I don't think to many locals want to go see a team from Murfreesboro play much less travel 4+ hours down the road to watch a high school game. "Just my opinion."

plowboy2, just relax . . . deep breath . . . don't you worry about Gilligan taking care of the ship over here, he is quit capable and when we meet on week #10, we will see who is still standing when the smoke clears. We will come out swinging!

Good luck with your first 9 games.

Who the heck from SHHS is bashing D-B?? Looks to me like some of you guys are way to sensitive! Sure we play the locals too. People like to go watch their (local) team play, whether you’re from TN High, Betsy or wherever. More people more money. I don't think to many locals want to go see a team from Murfreesboro play much less travel 4+ hours down the road to watch a high school game. Just my opinion.

plowboy2, just relax . . . deep breath . . . don't you worry about Gilligan taking care of the ship over here, he is quit capable and when we meet on week #10, we will see who is still standing when the smoke clears. We will come out swinging!

Good luck with your first 9 games.

so, what is it you guys are smoking? could explain the last few years.

as far as getting your jollies from beating a smaller team in a lower classification, to each his own. I would drive to Riverdale.

Economics drive who each school plays. You should know this. It's a regional thing also...i.e. our local brethern playing each other. I mean, other than a game or two, we should be playing our local competition. Now if you want to play Riverdale or Maryville then fine but I have a better idea. When the coach performs on a grand scale then buy him a car give him some perks...whatever...to show appreciation. When he can't get the job...is mediocre'...or is just .500 then cut him loose and hire someone with a vision. Don't just talk about how terrible it is on CoachT but instead raise a little Hades. Make demands...band together and get something accomplished. I'm proud of Science Hill for attempting to do just this. Will they be successful? Time will tell. But even they waited too long! Eight years...give me a break. Look, we all have the athletes! Not just DB...or Morristown...or South every 10 years. Even Central...especially Central has athletes. Look at Johnson County. It's the coaches that is the problem! A school has a winning program it is because of the coaches...they have a losing program it's because of the coaches. Period! So go play Riverdale...but if you got something to say then say it here and make it happen here. Because here is where we live and if you have any gumption then you should band together to demand better from our area. Oh but I forgot...don't want to be politically incorrect. BS! Excellence demands excellence...complacency allows complacency. Make your decision. This is a DB thread so I will give it back but DB should have won the state in '06 and that is at the hands of Mr. Clark. Should he get the Ax? Absolutely not, but it was not because of a lack of athletes or a lack of competition. Coaching is everything...everything!

Economics drive who each school plays. You should know this. It's a regional thing also...i.e. our local brethern playing each other. I mean, other than a game or two, we should be playing our local competition. Now if you want to play Riverdale or Maryville then fine but I have a better idea. When the coach performs on a grand scale then buy him a car give him some perks...whatever...to show appreciation. When he can't get the job...is mediocre'...or is just .500 then cut him loose and hire someone with a vision. Don't just talk about how terrible it is on CoachT but instead raise a little Hades. Make demands...band together and get something accomplished. I'm proud of Science Hill for attempting to do just this. Will they be successful? Time will tell. But even they waited too long! Eight years...give me a break. Look, we all have the athletes! Not just DB...or Morristown...or South every 10 years. Even Central...especially Central has athletes. Look at Johnson County. It's the coaches that is the problem! A school has a winning program it is because of the coaches...they have a losing program it's because of the coaches. Period! So go play Riverdale...but if you got something to say then say it here and make it happen here. Because here is where we live and if you have any gumption then you should band together to demand better from our area. Oh but I forgot...don't want to be politically incorrect. BS! Excellence demands excellence...complacency allows complacency. Make your decision. This is a DB thread so I will give it back but DB should have won the state in '06 and that is at the hands of Mr. Clark. Should he get the Ax? Absolutely not, but it was not because of a lack of athletes or a lack of competition. Coaching is everything...everything!

Good post, compusatman . . . I feel like South is a very formidable and challenging out of conference match up. I can assure you South will have The Hill's full attention come Aug. 23rd . . . I can't wait . . . The sky will be full of footballs!

Well said.I agree 100%.We still need local play to hone basic skills at positions and for what else(the gate).We don't have a new coach this year and probably won't get one for years,but people in general are tired of losing in the first round of playoffs in Kingsport.So I think coach Clark will be trying a lot harder in the future to win the big games.Power plus it would not matter to coach Gilligan(Steve Smith) if he lost all the other games(9) as long as he beat DB.After all that's why he was hired.Good luck to The Hill too.

Steve Smith has "1" win over a 5A team with a winning record for his entire life. He might turn out to be the greatest coach in the history of High School Football but he hasn't proved anything yet. I can't believe the Hill couldn't find a proven coach for the job. But I guess when your top two choices turn you down then you 'gotta take what you can get.