No More Spring Practice

COACHHARD

QUOTE(twhoops @ Mar 16 2007 - 03:24 PM) 826414319[/snapback]The problem that I see for the rural areas of the state is this; Large cities have rec centers for their kids to go play ball just about any time that they want to. Most of those kids will continue to improve at the same level that they always have. The rural areas of the state that are not privied to those rec centers only have opportunities to improve at their local gyms. By closing those gyms you destroy any chance for parody in this state. Dyer County has probably the best following in the entire state at the state tournament. Would they be there if these rules had been implemented two years ago? Probably not. T$$AA may be completely destroying their income without even considering the long term effects of this proposal. As mentioned before by another poster rural kids that play in fall leagues and spring leagues are being penalized by the 50% rule. Innercity schools will dominate the sport even more and the little man will fall off the basketball scene even further. I too can see many law suites filed and probably won by parents whose children who want to play year around and the TSSAA steps and and tries to regulate this. I do see the need for some coaches to back off, but if these coaches aren't working then they don't have a chance. I think more coaches will hang it up as a result of these rules than any one realizes. After all that is one of the reasons, that TSSAA used in implementing these rules in the first place.

Any thoughts?

I grew up in a small town where all we did was play ball. We didnt have any spring practice or summer camps in july that told us to do so. Our team consisted of guys that simply played the game together all the time because we liked to play and had nothing else to do. We would get into a gym, church, etc. At the same time our high school teams were very successful. Today, the closer to a shopping mall you are, the bigger disadvantage you have. Instead of going to the park or gym for a pick up game, kids are going to the mall, movies, clubs, and getting on my space and coacht. Instead of working on their game they are sending text messages listening to thier I pods. I believe the closer to big towns you get, the more distractions you have. . Just my thoughts. I could and probably am wrong but I am challenging todays players at the same time.

QUOTE(StationCampHoops @ Mar 16 2007 - 06:34 PM) 826414511[/snapback]I grew up in a small town where all we did was play ball. We didnt have any spring practice or summer camps in july that told us to do so. Our team consisted of guys that simply played the game together all the time because we liked to play and had nothing else to do. We would get into a gym, church, etc. At the same time our high school teams were very successful. Today, the closer to a shopping mall you are, the bigger disadvantage you have. Instead of going to the park or gym for a pick up game, kids are going to the mall, movies, clubs, and getting on my space and coacht. Instead of working on their game they are sending text messages listening to thier I pods. I believe the closer to big towns you get, the more distractions you have. . Just my thoughts. I could and probably am wrong but I am challenging todays players at the same time.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jim Harrick @ Mar 16 2007 - 07:59 AM) 826413907[/snapback]tssaa is a joke,,,,,,these new guidelines or RULES are terrible and make no sense. They should have let the coaches vote, not 8 principals!

NOW COACHES HAVE TO TRACK each player over the AAU season and make sure they don't play on an illegal team, with 3 or more players. This makes a bunch of sense. It's created more work for the coaches.

TSSAA IS GOVERNING what kids do in the off season,,,can you say "LAW TIME" Get ready TSSAA

This is a crock of crap. TSSAA is garbage. They need to do something about the state tournament, because the girls had a crappy crowd. I will say what other people will not say, this is aimed at inner city kids. Nothing suprises me in Tennesse, everything is culturally biased in Tennessee. I wonder what would happen if this were golf. If a coach dosen't mind coaching, what's the problem? Kids are not forced to play sports. The TSSAA board is a bunch jerks, starting at the top.

While i dont agree with the rules i dont think that it will impact the sport that greatly. It is important to play together as a team, to get used to each others style of play and the type of offense that your team runs , however the players that care and have that love for the game will find a way to get into the gym. I just think that everyone has gotten used to practicing year round, and i doubt that when a team gets eliminated from the district tournaments next year that their coach is going to say "Guys the main reason we lost is because TSSAA didnt let us practice in June"... and im sorry but i just cant see that sentence appearing in a coaches "end of the season speech".

Coaches are there own worst enemies, many times. They refuse to look at their sport and put it and the time kids spend into some kind of perspective.

I listened in on a conversation Thursday which involved a girl involved in high school sports. Her mom was on the phone asking for advice because her daughter is miserable. She played soccer in the fall while forced to participate in all of the basketball workouts, including making up the ones she missed for matches. She then played basketball. Now she is playing softball while working out with the basketball team and making up any workouts she is missing for games. It is obvious that the basketball coach is the dominant coach in this situation. There is little time left for homework.

This is one of the things that the TSSAA is trying to prevent. Any of you who played multiple sports in high school, like I did, are very thankful that none of the coaches forced us to choose which sports we wanted to play. The summers were regulated by our parents, as it should be.

AAU Teams pick up players all the time. How can a HS coach regulate who plays with a who when a team leaves for the nationals in Orlando? TSSAA CANNOT Regulate offseason leagues. There is NO right in this situation. In California, they passed this 50% rule, and then parents threatened to sue, then the rule was changed back. WHO will regulate off-season games. How can people prove who played where, with who, when. Are tapes going to be turned in to TSSAA officilas and board members?

Congrats to TSSAA, You just created a bigger monster than before. Great thinking by great minds!!!!!!! Now coaches have to track evey game of every player in the off-season

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 17 2007 - 10:05 AM) 826415237[/snapback]Coaches are there own worst enemies, many times. They refuse to look at their sport and put it and the time kids spend into some kind of perspective.

I listened in on a conversation Thursday which involved a girl involved in high school sports. Her mom was on the phone asking for advice because her daughter is miserable. She played soccer in the fall while forced to participate in all of the basketball workouts, including making up the ones she missed for matches. She then played basketball. Now she is playing softball while working out with the basketball team and making up any workouts she is missing for games. It is obvious that the basketball coach is the dominant coach in this situation. There is little time left for homework.

This is one of the things that the TSSAA is trying to prevent. Any of you who played multiple sports in high school, like I did, are very thankful that none of the coaches forced us to choose which sports we wanted to play. The summers were regulated by our parents, as it should be.

AAU should be regulated by parents also. Again the students are not forced to play sports. If it becomes to much for a specific student, that's when the parent should regulate. TSSAA sounds like a bunch of dictators to me. The last time I checked high school sports are a democracy. Parents should regulate homework also. I truly believe this, if this were for the majority this would not happen. But again this the south and this is Tennessee, so nothing suprises me. Let the truth be told, this is a cultural issue. But the higher ups would never admit that, because that's not the "politically" correct thing to do. Just a new and improved 1800's.

Same old thing, but a different way of doing it.

QUOTE(nebuntyn @ Mar 17 2007 - 11:58 AM) 826415323[/snapback]AAU should be regulated by parents also. Again the students are not forced to play sports. If it becomes to much for a specific student, that's when the parent should regulate. TSSAA sounds like a bunch of dictators to me. The last time I checked high school sports are a democracy. Parents should regulate homework also. I truly believe this, if this were for the majority this would not happen. But again this the south and this is Tennessee, so nothing suprises me. Let the truth be told, this is a cultural issue. But the higher ups would never admit that, because that's not the "politically" correct thing to do. Just a new and improved 1800's.

The rules also apply to soccer, baseball, volleyball, and softball. Is it a cultural issue with those sports, too?

QUOTE(nebuntyn @ Mar 17 2007 - 11:58 AM) 826415323[/snapback]But again this the south and this is Tennessee, so nothing suprises me. Let the truth be told, this is a cultural issue. But the higher ups would never admit that, because that's not the "politically" correct thing to do. Just a new and improved 1800's.

it is the same for everyone.

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 17 2007 - 02:05 PM) 826415408[/snapback]The rules also apply to soccer, baseball, volleyball, and softball. Is it a cultural issue with those sports, too?

The new rule for 50% play only includes baseball, softball, & basketball. It doesn't mention any other sports. It also states that the 50% rule only applies to non-school teams DURING the school year. So summer baseball and basketball for non-school teams seem to be unaffected. It seems to really be pointed at school mandated practice during the off-season, but during the school year.

Here is the link from the TSSAA site -> http://www.tssaa.org/LCAction.pdf

Participation (includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the season by students who will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50 percent of the players required to play the game (three in basketball, five in baseball and softball).

If I read this right, I don't think it affect$ AAU. The "guideline" $ay$ prior to the $eason - not after. Although it appear$ that it could affect participation in some of the national level events if the application date is July 1 and not the start of achool. I toeume thi$ i$ targeting fall baseball and $occer.

I$ anyone on the board a T$$AA rep that could comment?

QUOTE(soccer891 @ Mar 17 2007 - 10:17 PM) 826415812[/snapback]The new rule for 50% play only includes baseball, softball, & basketball. It doesn't mention any other sports. It also states that the 50% rule only applies to non-school teams DURING the school year. So summer baseball and basketball for non-school teams seem to be unaffected. It seems to really be pointed at school mandated practice during the off-season, but during the school year.

Here is the link from the TSSAA site -> http://www.tssaa.org/LCAction.pdf

I was referring to all of the sports mentioned in the action but, as far as this section, you are right. So, I shall rephrase my comment:

The rules also apply to baseball and softball. Is it a cultural issue with those sports, too?