No More Spring Practice

COACHHARD

I know it is going against the norm, but I think that it is good. My kid played 3 sports in high school and it was really tough. He got a baseball scholarship and probably could have gotten a football scholarship had he not quit to concentrate on the others. You guys that are complaining won't realize now, but life is short. Take time to be kids. Very few athletes are going to compete at the next level and I don't think that playing all those extra games are helping that much. Enjoy life guys. Life is more than sports.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(papatiger @ Mar 16 2007 - 11:39 AM) 826414131[/snapback]I know it is going against the norm, but I think that it is good. My kid played 3 sports in high school and it was really tough. He got a baseball scholarship and probably could have gotten a football scholarship had he not quit to concentrate on the others. You guys that are complaining won't realize now, but life is short. Take time to be kids. Very few athletes are going to compete at the next level and I don't think that playing all those extra games are helping that much. Enjoy life guys. Life is more than sports.

BINGO !

QUOTE(papatiger @ Mar 16 2007 - 11:39 AM) 826414131[/snapback]I know it is going against the norm, but I think that it is good. My kid played 3 sports in high school and it was really tough. He got a baseball scholarship and probably could have gotten a football scholarship had he not quit to concentrate on the others. You guys that are complaining won't realize now, but life is short. Take time to be kids. Very few athletes are going to compete at the next level and I don't think that playing all those extra games are helping that much. Enjoy life guys. Life is more than sports.

AMEN! Good posting PapaTiger

PFDad or MRJD07, I don't know if you are old enough, probably are especially PFDad, but I'm sure you wish you could go back and relive what these guys are doing now?

The only thing I see wrong with the proposal is I wish they had cut back on football too! Especially the hot time of the year. Really dangerous.

I think its good. I say that any am ducking to dodge the guns now pointed @ me.

Kids need to be kids. Too much emphasis is place on sports and that puts a lot of pressure on kids.

I really like the cutting out July from the schedule. I remember missing LYNYRD SKYNYRD @ Riverbend my junior year because we practiced till 11:00 in preparation for basketball camp. Obviously, I'm all for going to practice, but it still pains me that I missed out on rockin' with Skynyrd. If anyone knows of somebody with reasonably priced tickets for the Hank Williams Jr.-Lynyrd Skynyrd concert in Nashville or Atlanta let me know, I still haven't seen them live!

All those in fovor of these rules are crazy.

Sports provide discipline an they also give kids something to do, asopposd to getting in trouble.

My big beef with TSSAA is governing who kids play AAU basketball with. How ca they legally do that?

Why cut 2 basketball games during the season? You'll just be practicing instead, YOU DON'T GAIN ANY TIME!!!

Coming from a future basketball coach. these rules are going to make it hard for kids in this state. I am from upper west TN (go DC) If DC kids hadnt of had time to play together this summer they wouldnt be in the state semis. Rural towns will be hurt bad because AAU isnt right there in their town. Some kids and parents go to great lenghts to play AAU, I know some drive 2-4 hours on the weekends for AAU. Personally as a coach I don't really practice during the summer untill it's time to prepare for camp, then as a team we need to put things together. But the summer should be spent working on fundamentals and individual improvement. I played for Coach Hopkins we where in the gym alot and I was still able to be a teenager and hang out with my friends. The only thing I can remotely agree with would be some date changes with football, it does get to hot sometimes and it a matter of safety, but hey they need to practice too.

QUOTE(warmachine7954 @ Mar 16 2007 - 02:04 PM) 826414196[/snapback]Coming from a future basketball coach. these rules are going to make it hard for kids in this state. I am from upper west TN (go DC) If DC kids hadnt of had time to play together this summer they wouldnt be in the state semis. Rural towns will be hurt bad because AAU isnt right there in their town. Some kids and parents go to great lenghts to play AAU, I know some drive 2-4 hours on the weekends for AAU. Personally as a coach I don't really practice during the summer untill it's time to prepare for camp, then as a team we need to put things together. But the summer should be spent working on fundamentals and individual improvement. I played for Coach Hopkins we where in the gym alot and I was still able to be a teenager and hang out with my friends. The only thing I can remotely agree with would be some date changes with football, it does get to hot sometimes and it a matter of safety, but hey they need to practice too.

DC wouldn't be disadvantaged by this rule... noone will be practicing then.

I dont really mind cutting the 2 regular season games, but no spring practice and the aau restrictions baffle me. Spring Practice is a chance for these kids to get their feet wet to replace the graduating seniors. I like everyone else, dont see how the TSSAA is going to be able to monitor how many kids from the same school on the same team and what worries me is that some with an agenda may try to cook up some false accusation against a school, which is going to be more of a headache for the TSSAA than anything

QUOTE(Grace Golden Eagles @ Mar 16 2007 - 12:10 PM) 826414158[/snapback]I think its good. I say that any am ducking to dodge the guns now pointed @ me.

Kids need to be kids. Too much emphasis is place on sports and that puts a lot of pressure on kids.

I really like the cutting out July from the schedule. I remember missing LYNYRD SKYNYRD @ Riverbend my junior year because we practiced till 11:00 in preparation for basketball camp. Obviously, I'm all for going to practice, but it still pains me that I missed out on rockin' with Skynyrd. If anyone knows of somebody with reasonably priced tickets for the Hank Williams Jr.-Lynyrd Skynyrd concert in Nashville or Atlanta let me know, I still haven't seen them live!

Was anyone FORCING you to play? Nobody is forcing these kids to play (except for the occasional crazy dad) so if they WANT to play and truly love the game then they need to be prepared to make sacrifices to make that happen. I guess it really doesn't matter anymore though. Now that these ludicrous rules are in affect, all it will do is lower the level of competition around the state (especially in the rural area) So lil Jim Bob will have a really hard time competing for that athletic scholarship against the big city kid or a big shot from another state who isn't handcuffed with these rules.

QUOTE(pedo_29 @ Mar 16 2007 - 03:21 PM) 826414275[/snapback]Was anyone FORCING you to play? Nobody is forcing these kids to play (except for the occasional crazy dad) so if they WANT to play and truly love the game then they need to be prepared to make sacrifices to make that happen. I guess it really doesn't matter anymore though. Now that these ludicrous rules are in affect, all it will do is lower the level of competition around the state (especially in the rural area) So lil Jim Bob will have a really hard time competing for that athletic scholarship against the big city kid or a big shot from another state who isn't handcuffed with these rules.

No, no one forced me to play, but I wanted to so I went to practice. I did and still do truly love the game. But as a kid, I wanted to go hear Skynyrd so bad I could taste it, but I missed out due to my dedication. I think that's what this is about. Letting kids do kid stuff.

How can y'all keep on saying that this hurts the rural areas? The big cities will have to play by the same rules... I'm lost.

The problem that I see for the rural areas of the state is this; Large cities have rec centers for their kids to go play ball just about any time that they want to. Most of those kids will continue to improve at the same level that they always have. The rural areas of the state that are not privied to those rec centers only have opportunities to improve at their local gyms. By closing those gyms you destroy any chance for parody in this state. Dyer County has probably the best following in the entire state at the state tournament. Would they be there if these rules had been implemented two years ago? Probably not. T$$AA may be completely destroying their income without even considering the long term effects of this proposal. As mentioned before by another poster rural kids that play in fall leagues and spring leagues are being penalized by the 50% rule. Innercity schools will dominate the sport even more and the little man will fall off the basketball scene even further. I too can see many law suites filed and probably won by parents whose children who want to play year around and the TSSAA steps and and tries to regulate this. I do see the need for some coaches to back off, but if these coaches aren't working then they don't have a chance. I think more coaches will hang it up as a result of these rules than any one realizes. After all that is one of the reasons, that TSSAA used in implementing these rules in the first place.

Any thoughts?