TEMPLE

Green_Acres

i go to central and i dont kno to much on this topic all i kno is that temple will no doubt win the gold ball in 09 and maybe repeat becauz my friend name valonta is leaving central (hes a strarter) to go to play with his AAU teammate jeremy and brandon and he says another one of their teammates from huntsville, al thats about 6'6 maybe b transfering there too

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(global98 @ Mar 28 2007 - 09:57 AM) 826424708[/snapback]Why do you say you support the decision to hire the coach and the coach at the beginning of your post, but then you obviously have a less than positive opinion of his experience and ability to do the job. I have no interest in who they hire, I am just a little confused as to the tone of your post. Do you think he will be successful next year and what is the success that he will achieve? The district? Region? Substate? State? Championships? Will he see the program go back to when he played?

I appreciate your honest questions. It just goes back to what I said about not checking my brain at the door. I am a very loyal person but it is not an unquestioning loyalty. My comments and opinions are just honest evaluations. I realize that making those kinds of decisions are/should be difficult and I respect the decision and the administration's right to make it, whether I understand it or not. After I have had my say, I will keep paying my gate fees, cheering for the team, and supporting the school.

Can Caleb do the job? Who knows? He does not have a real history for us to evaluate. We will find out pretty soon what he is capable of. He may be incredible. Maybe, he has some really strong leadership qualities. There have been plenty of unknowns who surprised people. Look at King David coming from the field shepherding sheep with no apparent experience to becoming Israel's greatest king.

I am worried about the quote in the paper though. Temple just won a state championship with probably the best defense of any team around and Caleb's statement seemed to say that he wanted to return to a previous defensive posture? A defensive posture that never won any titles? Looks a strike against you coming in to the batter's box.

"Bedhead," just so you know it is not pastor but "Pasture," like cattle, barns, and grass. I have never taken the time to correct it before because I like the misdirection but hey, enough is enough (giggle).

QUOTE(basketballman741 @ Mar 28 2007 - 09:55 AM) 826424771[/snapback]i go to central and i dont kno to much on this topic all i kno is that temple will no doubt win the gold ball in 09 and maybe repeat becauz my friend name valonta is leaving central (hes a strarter) to go to play with his AAU teammate jeremy and brandon and he says another one of their teammates from huntsville, al thats about 6'6 maybe b transfering there too

If someone is coming from Central and played last year, he will be ineligible for a year. If he is receiving financial aid (I don't know if Temple offers this or not) he would not be able to play varsity at all. Someone coming from out of town is a different matter.

Pasture,

At the risk of you going into another page-long rant, I've got to respond to you. Yes, I do want to know the list of more qualified candidates who wanted the job. And before you answer, read the question carefully. There may be people out there who would have been better, but did they actually want the job? And, did Scott Chastain want to be A.D.? And who all on the girls bench really wanted to be head coach? I've got the feeling you're making alot of assumptions and stating them as fact. Please don't condemn the school you claim to support about decisions on which you don't know the whole story. Who got you started on Rob Eldridge? His name hadn't been mentioned. And since you seem to know Marcum and Wadley's salaries, please share them with us.

QUOTE(dadoffour @ Mar 28 2007 - 11:56 AM) 826424828[/snapback]Pasture,

At the risk of you going into another page-long rant, I've got to respond to you. Yes, I do want to know the list of more qualified candidates who wanted the job. And before you answer, read the question carefully. There may be people out there who would have been better, but did they actually want the job? And, did Scott Chastain want to be A.D.? And who all on the girls bench really wanted to be head coach? I've got the feeling you're making alot of assumptions and stating them as fact. Please don't condemn the school you claim to support about decisions on which you don't know the whole story. Who got you started on Rob Eldridge? His name hadn't been mentioned. And since you seem to know Marcum and Wadley's salaries, please share them with us.

Hey dad, trusting your feelings is not very wise, in fact, it can be very dangerous. When I have feelings like yours, I normally go to the bathroom.

No condemnation, just honest opinions, observations, evaluations, etc. They are not always easy to hear but they are true.

QUOTE(dadoffour @ Mar 28 2007 - 11:56 AM) 826424828[/snapback]Pasture,

As much as it pains me to admit it everything "Pasture" said is true and factual.

If you are in doubt ask the parties whose names were mentioned. If you want

to know the salaries I suggest you ask. Coach Wadley will gladly share his Temple

salary with you.

I've never agreed with Pasture but on this one thing he has done his research

and knows what he is talking about.

QUOTE(Pasture @ Mar 28 2007 - 11:36 AM) 826424853[/snapback]Hey dad, trusting your feelings is not very wise, in fact, it can be very dangerous. When I have feelings like yours, I normally go to the bathroom.

No condemnation, just honest opinions, observations, evaluations, etc. They are not always easy to hear but they are true.

Thanks for being brief, but you're still not backing up your statements with any names or salary figures.

QUOTE(bedhead @ Mar 28 2007 - 12:13 PM) 826424881[/snapback]As much as it pains me to admit it everything "Pasture" said is true and factual.

If you are in doubt ask the parties whose names were mentioned. If you want

to know the salaries I suggest you ask. Coach Wadley will gladly share his Temple

salary with you.

I've never agreed with Pasture but on this one thing he has done his research

and knows what he is talking about.

I really don't need to know the salaries. I just want Pasture to back up his statements with numbers and names. If he can do this I'll leave him alone and thank him for enlightening us.

QUOTE(dadoffour @ Mar 28 2007 - 01:30 PM) 826424895[/snapback]Thanks for being brief, but you're still not backing up your statements with any names or salary figures.

Go back and read my post again. I did give you names. How did you miss them? Exact figures I do not know but I do understand "greater than" and "less than" symbols and terminology.

Go take a hot bath, get your wife to give you a good shoulder and neck massage, take a power nap and then come back on here and take another stab at understanding my and other's posts.

Catch you back here in say, thirty?

Or, you could just say "thank you" for enlightening you, and then leave me alone.

QUOTE(Pasture @ Mar 28 2007 - 07:32 AM) 826424673[/snapback]First, let me just be clear and say that I support the adminstration's decision to hire Caleb and I support Caleb but I am not going to check my brain at the door. My comments are just honest opinions seasoned with honest questions and I want to make sure that they do not come across as being anti-Temple, etc. When I post I tend to be a little more (too?) direct.

As far as more qualified people for the job (Do I really have to tell anybody who they were), it seems to me that it would have been better to have had two people, one AD and one head basketball coach. Greg Brown is unquestionably better qualified to coach the basketball team than anyone else I have seen. Good players do not always make good coaches, so Caleb having played under Templeton and Wadley is not necessarily a qualification. Whereas, Greg actually sat on the bench as an assistant coach with Skogen and Wadley for three years. He head coached the varsity girls team and impressed EVERYONE with his abilities. Even Wadley said he thought Greg was probably the best up and coming coach in the area. Greg proved himself as the girls' coach last year and was selected as the boys' coach last year by people who actually knew something about what was going on. Caleb has not coached high school basketball, ever! Greg was intricately involved with the boys' success this year and was an obvious asset in winning the state title this year. So, Greg Brown, hands down, was a better pick for a boys basketball coach.

In my opinion, Scott Chastain was a better choice for the AD. He would not have been a good choice as a basketball coach. Scott pastored several churches over the course of 8-10 years or so. He has had tested experience leading people, familiarity with the nuances of setting and accomplishing goals, dealing with difficult people, navigating the different flavors of politics, fund-raising, managing a business, etc. Look at what he has already accomplished leading the football program, a program that many said was going to become defunct now has enough kids working out in the weight room to have a JV team next year. He has proven himself capable. However, he does have a few debilitating character flaws but they are minor in comparison to all the other positive assets he brings to the table.

As far as Dr. Pearson's ability to make good athletic decisions, I would really like for "IOWNYOU" to interrupt me here and insult you. Be honest with yourself. This year's success was the fruit of many years of sowing by Wadley, Beard, and Skogen. Pearson had nothing to do with it. It would have happened regardless of who the headmaster was. But let's look at the wonderful decisions she has made thus far (I already mentioned Greg and Scott). She handpicked Joe McCormick (who I like very much, by the way) to be the varsity girls' basketball coach and had two assistant coaches sitting on the bench that were more qualified and capable to the job, not to mention Greg Brown's dad who coached with Greg the previous year, who, by the way, worked with the girls all last summer and thought that he was going to be the coach by default (I guess) and was never even seriously interviewed. You had Jeff Rector (Danielle's dad) who has been an AD (He also may have been a very qualified candidate for the AD job) before and a basketball coach sitting on the bench, twiddling this thumbs (Did you happen to notice at district how much better the girls played when he led the team during Joe's absence?). Miss Gardner worked with the girls in the pre-season with some tough conditioning getting them ready to play, all for naught. Once Joe stepped in there was no more real conditioning and practice looked more like a class room lecture, the girls could not even play four quarters without looking like they were tired. They should have at least made it to the "show" this year but instead they moved on to softball a week early.

Do not even get me started on the whole Rob Eldridge thing. I know that plenty of Temple fans did not like Rob but he did a lot to promote the programs and tried to help every way he could. And he did not do a bad job at running with the flag at the Trousdale game /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> The rumor from the kids around school is that he was fired, the leadership is saying it was for financial reasons, but Pearson really just buckled under the pressure from the "Let's Go Back to Egypt" committee. There were a lot of things that Rob did that I did not like and some things he did that honestly scared me, theologically, but he loved the school and the sports programs. When the football team went 10-0 in the region, he made sure people knew about it. He was great with things like that, putting Temple on the map, like with the website. Our basketball team just won the state championship. Where is our champion to promote the school.

If Rob was let go for financial reasons (It was not like they were really paying him much anyway), then why did they hire in Caleb for a significantly larger amount of money then the teachers are making? He is making more coming in as a snot nosed punk then Wadley left making after 20+ years.

Yeah. I agree with you. We should not be too hard on the administration. After all, they are making some incredibly great decisions.

By the way, there is an incredible amount of pressure on a wet behind the ears kid who has no credible coaching experience, jumps from job to job, takes on probably the second most important role at the school, and is making a ton of money. I would say that he better be able to prove himself worthy, quickly, or daddy may be embarassed. Let us pray that he does not get on the "Let's Go Back to Egypt" committee's bad side.

Alright well first before I take a potshot at Pearson (in honor of my agreement with some of what pasture has to say recently); I need to go off on Pasture...

alright....Scott Chastain as AD??? have you lost it man??? He hides the truth, he tells people one thing is going to happen, or that things are a certain way that he wishes they woule be BUT IN REALITY they are not....he would have been a terrible AD, especially given his bias with the entire football thing...he so badly wants to be right, and actually have a team...and a good one (which will never happen) he would spend all the money in athletics on football. You say he has proven himself capable????? After ONE YEAR of jumping on the banwagon of an extremely talented team....what did he do??? nothing...ask the players...the team would have done the exact same thing with or without chastain...

The fact is Pearson wouldn't know a good athletic decision if it slapped her twice and jumped on her back!! She proved that in the McCormick coaching decision, Not trying to get Greg (at least not tyring hard enough), hiring chastain to be the head football coach(this will be proven with the success of the football team next year), and hiring rob eldridge at all (obviously a mistake b/c then she turns around and "fires" him, and she should have known that Hunt refused to hire him 3 years in a row!!)

Could temple have done better....sure but something you need to understand about that place is that the CHURCH controls what goes on...Pearson is just a bad-decision-making-puppet..... The people above chose who will do what...if you are apart of that place you get first dibs....

I think Caleb could do a good job(I guess he better if they are paying him so much)....I do agree he has one strike in the batter's box for that ignorant comment....