Postseason Split

CoachT

The following option will be discussed this summer, I believe, and has been mentioned on here before but Icould find no recent discussion:

Every man for himself in the regular season. Play anyone you choose. Then, split for the playoffs. Rank the teams and have at it.

Discussion will be (1) how to rank them and (2) whether to let all private schools play each other in the playoffs or leave that as it is now with the non-financial aid schools playing with the public schools.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 21 2007 - 09:36 PM) 826419953[/snapback]The following option will be discussed this summer, I believe, and has been mentioned on here before but Icould find no recent discussion:

Every man for himself in the regular season. Play anyone you choose. Then, split for the playoffs. Rank the teams and have at it.

Discussion will be (1) how to rank them and (2) whether to let all private schools play each other in the playoffs or leave that as it is now with the non-financial aid schools playing with the public schools.

The question i have is are they going to be discussing to change it to that or not, or has the decission to change it to that been made and simple going to decide how to rank them.

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ Mar 21 2007 - 10:42 PM) 826419959[/snapback]The question i have is are they going to be discussing to change it to that or not, or has the decission to change it to that been made and simple going to decide how to rank them.

As far as I know it is just in the discussion stage. Several media members were discussing it last week at the state tournament but I didn't try to pin down the source since it is just a possibility for discussion. Seemed like the biggest incentive for this was to cut down travel in the regular season. A lot of questions come to mind, though, such as once you figure out how to rank the teams then how do you pair them for the first round? Do you do it regionally in order to cut travel or not?

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 21 2007 - 11:09 PM) 826419981[/snapback]As far as I know it is just in the discussion stage. Several media members were discussing it last week at the state tournament but I didn't try to pin down the source since it is just a possibility for discussion. Seemed like the biggest incentive for this was to cut down travel in the regular season. A lot of questions come to mind, though, such as once you figure out how to rank the teams then how do you pair them for the first round? Do you do it regionally in order to cut travel or not?

I can't really see how this could be done without some type of area or geographical region alignment. It sounds like a good idea from some standpoints. I just don't see the "how" of it yet.

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 21 2007 - 09:36 PM) 826419953[/snapback]The following option will be discussed this summer, I believe, and has been mentioned on here before but Icould find no recent discussion:

That sounds like a merit system plus a split. Or did I misread?

The way i interpret this is that there is a ten game season. FCS will be able to play any ten teams they wish to play regardless of classification or public/private. Meaning that if Gordonsville was ok with it we could keep up that rivally, same goes for Watertown. just for competition we could play say south pitt, Mt. Pleasant, Jo byrns ... ect. And then at the end of the season there will be some type of way to rank all teams both public and private based on their wins and the strengths of their wins and this rank will be used to put them into a tournament to decide the state championship for both public and private. Sound about right???

Well i will try to look at this totally non-biased.

On the plus side it does make a more level playing field which has a lump or two right now.

On the negative side there is no real goal for the good but not great teams because they will be able to consistently make the playoffs but without regions there is one less possible goal. (lets face it region championships are just fun to have)

Then of course are the questions that need to be answered.....

1. How many teams make the playoffs for both public and private leagues???

2. How will it help travel time at all if say Gordonsville is ranked #1 public, and their first round game is hampton??

3. Will the classifications stay the same, arguably you could lump all the privates back together in one all private league but could this be done without downgrading the public classifications down to only 2 or 3 classes???

It is a very interesting idea, i just honestly think that until someone can find an answer to some hard questions that there is more con's than pro's.

I'm not necesarily against the plan ... however, there are a few wrinkles that may make it difficult for privates to accept.

The first is the "choose to play" opponents. I think without set regions, the VAST majority of publics would never play a private. That leaves the privates to a "split" league pretty much with tons of travel for all privates. In addition, I don't think they would accept TSSAA oversight if they are virtually split anyway. Why would they?

The second is the outcome of the BA v. TSSAA lawsuit. BA has NOT won anything yet and either side may come out on top. If BA wins, they will hold a ton of power within TN high school athletics. If the TSSAA wins, I believe a complete split is unevitable. We all have to remember that the Supreme Court landscape has changed the last time the case made its way in front of them.

I don't understand what situation this proposal is meant to resolve. I would have 2 questions -

1. Are private schools going to be willing to schedule public schools and vice versa? If not, what does this proposal accomplish? A classic example is Brentwood Academy and Brentwood not playing each other.

2. How do you rank or seed teams for the playoffs? If this is done by a committee, no one can be expected to evaluate teams from different areas of the state that they have not seen play. Computer rankings are only as good as the data and logic that are built into them.

I may be a naysayer here but I don't see the point.

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ Mar 21 2007 - 11:43 PM) 826420009[/snapback]The way i interpret this is that there is a ten game season. FCS will be able to play any ten teams they wish to play regardless of classification or public/private. Meaning that if Gordonsville was ok with it we could keep up that rivally, same goes for Watertown. just for competition we could play say south pitt, Mt. Pleasant, Jo byrns ... ect. And then at the end of the season there will be some type of way to rank all teams both public and private based on their wins and the strengths of their wins and this rank will be used to put them into a tournament to decide the state championship for both public and private. Sound about right???

You could put the teams back into the regions, or whatever you choose to call that grouping, and then seed them but that could still lead to not having the best teams in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Bighurt @ Mar 22 2007 - 09:49 AM) 826420192[/snapback]1. Are private schools going to be willing to schedule public schools and vice versa? If not, what does this proposal accomplish? A classic example is Brentwood Academy and Brentwood not playing each other.

I think publics and privates would play. We never had a problem with that prior to the advent of playoffs. The method for deciding who goes to the playoffs could impact that, though. Schools like BA and Brentwood might not want to play but that would be for many reasons, wouldn't it?

Shorter travel to regular season games would be a plus, for private schools.

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ Mar 21 2007 - 11:43 PM) 826420009[/snapback]1. How many teams make the playoffs for both public and private leagues???

2. How will it help travel time at all if say Gordonsville is ranked #1 public, and their first round game is hampton??

3. Will the classifications stay the same, arguably you could lump all the privates back together in one all private league but could this be done without downgrading the public classifications down to only 2 or 3 classes???

It is a very interesting idea, i just honestly think that until someone can find an answer to some hard questions that there is more con's than pro's.

I would think that the number of teams would stay the same as it is now. Personally, I would like to see it cut in half.

The travel at playoff time could be bad but it would be that way for everyone and you would think that there is a way to pair teams where that could be minimal in rounds one and two.

There is talk of going to four classes. You could do that since without regions you don't have to play every team in your region.

Nothing is going to happen until the legal war between Brentwood Academy and the TSSAA is finished. If BA wins look for everyone to placed back together and you will have few choices other that opening your check book and starting to write.

I have said this before and I will say it again: Place everyone in 4 classificatons for football, basketball, softball, baseball and volleyball and use the merit system.