50% Rule & Summer Baseball

BBC

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Mar 23 2007 - 10:43 PM) 826421363[/snapback]Yeah. For the simple reason that the travel leagues had to distribute the talent to A, AA, AAA and Majors. What's that all about? Well, it's about finding the niche' where you can compete. Alot of these teams are playing the same 5 or 6 teams on a regular basis in tournaments. Same as a rec league, only with travel.........and expenses. I'm a rec league guy on the 60' bases. I don't think 12 and under have the desire for more competition so much as their Dads do. I see the attraction. Personalized bat bags, 3 or 4 uniforms. I get it from a kid's perspective. From a parent's point of view, I like the new pitch count regulation that Little League is implementing. Who's taking care of the travel ball arms? When I was a LL prez, I liked to say that a successful coach was the one who had the most players sign up to play the next season. It's a marathon, not a race. The kids will sort themselves out when they get on the big diamond. Just let 'em play!

All this being said, my oldest plays travel ball. He waited until he was 13 though and the rec league was having a hard time fielding a team to boot. Plus....they were traveling. What's the difference? He could play, so I thought he should have the opportunity to play on a more competitive team that played a more challenging schedule. Still, I don't think you do that at 10 for the most part.

I am glad to see their are others with this opion. I tell dads everyday that until a child begins to show some God given ability it is a waste of time to try and develop that talent. Many times in the younger ages the best players are the ones who are shving by the time they are 12. I have been around this game for a good number of years. Trust me, when your son is 17 - 18 coaches are looking for athletes with the unteachables (how fast you run, how hard you throw, how quick are your hands), no amount of lessons or 100 game season will alter these factors. The players that were mentioined that played rec ball and are now in the big leagues had these factors and maybe not until they were 15, 16, 17 years old. Let them be kids, let them learn to love this game and they like us will love it for a lifetime.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BBC @ Mar 28 2007 - 07:57 AM) 826424636[/snapback]I am glad to see their are others with this opion. I tell dads everyday that until a child begins to show some God given ability it is a waste of time to try and develop that talent. Many times in the younger ages the best players are the ones who are shving by the time they are 12. I have been around this game for a good number of years. Trust me, when your son is 17 - 18 coaches are looking for athletes with the unteachables (how fast you run, how hard you throw, how quick are your hands), no amount of lessons or 100 game season will alter these factors. The players that were mentioined that played rec ball and are now in the big leagues had these factors and maybe not until they were 15, 16, 17 years old. Let them be kids, let them learn to love this game and they like us will love it for a lifetime.

AMEN to that.

QUOTE(LSMFT @ Mar 28 2007 - 06:10 AM) 826424593[/snapback]BBC,

One last time - SUMMER BASEBALL IS NOT AFFECTED BY THE 50% RULE.

riverdaleman,

Don't understand the comment about 6th period. My understanding of the rule is you can have an athletic period BUT you can't do anything sports specific when your sport is not in season. EXAMPLE - you can't practice hitting during 6th period in Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec.

You can practice during the school day in the fall if you are earning a credit for the class is my understanding. However, most schools don't have 6th period sports out of their season do they. I know in Columbia, the kids don't have 4th block baseball until Jan. so it doesn't matter to them anyway.

QUOTE(columbiaguy @ Mar 28 2007 - 08:37 AM) 826424679[/snapback]You can practice during the school day in the fall if you are earning a credit for the class is my understanding. However, most schools don't have 6th period sports out of their season do they. I know in Columbia, the kids don't have 4th block baseball until Jan. so it doesn't matter to them anyway.

The new rule will prohibit sport-specific practice during the school day, CREDIT OR NOT, at any time other than "in-season". All of these schools that have 4th block basketball practice before practice begins in Nov. or during the spring will have to change or face the hangman. Also, schools will not be able to start spring football practice until after the school day is completed, not 4th block or 6th period or whatever. They can go out early during the season in the fall, however.

QUOTE(bigchief @ Mar 28 2007 - 08:16 AM) 826424732[/snapback]The new rule will prohibit sport-specific practice during the school day, CREDIT OR NOT, at any time other than "in-season". All of these schools that have 4th block basketball practice before practice begins in Nov. or during the spring will have to change or face the hangman. Also, schools will not be able to start spring football practice until after the school day is completed, not 4th block or 6th period or whatever. They can go out early during the season in the fall, however.

here is why i disagree with that rule...in my opinion it gets the kids home 1 hour later becasue the teams still need whatever practice they have also if they have a gmae and have to leave during 6th period they are not missing any class time like english or whatever these kids are graduating with a lot of credits and it does not hurt them to have "pe" all year in fact in my opinion EVERY student should have some sort of pe all year every year but that is just me

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Mar 28 2007 - 01:38 PM) 826424980[/snapback]here is why i disagree with that rule...in my opinion it gets the kids home 1 hour later becasue the teams still need whatever practice they have also if they have a gmae and have to leave during 6th period they are not missing any class time like english or whatever these kids are graduating with a lot of credits and it does not hurt them to have "pe" all year in fact in my opinion EVERY student should have some sort of pe all year every year but that is just me

Amen to that! We keep hearing about how there is too much obesity, and they have taken snack machines out of the schools, but only the kids who play sports have any kind of pe, and more than likely these kids are not the ones with obesity problems. Obesity issue aside, physical activity is GOOD FOR THEM!!!

QUOTE(BBC @ Mar 23 2007 - 02:33 PM) 826421120[/snapback]I noticed that there was a load out cry against TSSAA on the 50% rule. Many of you expressed concern that only the wealthy kids or priviledged few will be able to play. I have worked in the recruiting and scouting field for many years. First let me state that really what brought this on for Baseball was the High School Coaches who were demanding that there players play for them in the summer. The summer High School Leagues are pitiful when it comes to level of pooled talent. Most College coaches or pro scouts will gladly tell you that they will not drive 5 minutes to see a high school summer league game, unless they know a kid is pitching who is upper 80's plus. The top players need to play for top teams against other top players. Scouts want to see how your son matches up against the best and against other talent who will play at the collge level. The last thing I want to see is a stud junior facing a average or below average Soph or Fresh. It tells me absolutely nothing about his ability to deal with high level talent It has always been my experience that, if it is not financial posible for your son to play for an elite team and he actually has the talent to play, the team will make accomidations for that player. I have NEVER and I mean NEVER seen a kid tunred away because his family absolutely can't afford for him to play.

Every kid should not play on travel teams. Most players are well suited playing in a local recreational league. This brings me to another issue, the status of saying your child plays travel ball. There are way to many travel teams. I have seen many travel teams who could not compete against low level red teams, but there is always a dad somewhere with enough green to pay somebody to caoach a team so his son can be the shortstop.

My suggestion to all would be seek out the good travel teams if you think your son is capable of playing at that level. Most of the top teams are coached by well qualified coaches who are good talent evaluators. MOst of these guys are constantly looking ofr talent. If they don't need your soon they will gladly steer you in the direction of another coach. I can assure that if your son has the talent the financial issues can be worked out.

I Another tip would be to go to an open pro tryout. These camps are held every summer all around. The scouts who conduct these camps are excellent at giving you good feed back, just be willing to hear the truth.

I am all for this rule because it frees up the talented players to play against other talentd players and will no longer allow the high school coaches to mandate your son play for there summer team.

BBC

I find your post BBC disturbing and absolutely what is wrong with Tennessee baseball. Without a doubt i can tell you first hand that the extra work hs coaches are putting in the summer and demanding more from their players year round are not keeping players from getting seen but actually doing the opposite in that they are preparing more players for the next level. Scouts go where the talent is, it does not matter where they or who the talent is playing. I coach hs in central florida and down here everyone plays hs summer ball. There are scout teams that play on some weekends but everyone plays hs summer. The typical tennessee "travel team" does not exist down here. I can tell you I saw more scouts last summer on the hs summer circuit than i ever saw in tennessee when i ran elite summer tournaments. Case in point, Pat McMahon (uf head coach) watched 11 innings of a double header of my school and another this summer. both schools have less that 700 students and mcmahon wrote 4 pages of legal pad notes on the players he was there to see. We have 2 sophmores ( one is mine ) and one senior ranked in the top 50 of their classes according to perfect game in our local high school summer league. The scouts are at every game and some games we dont have umpires or turn on the schoreboard, it is all about instruction.

Anyone who thinks high school summer ball is not the same quality, I would like to pursade you to go watch the murfreesboro schools in the summer. they have raised the bar. They play every top team around and they travel all over the place. OH did i mention they always finish the summer with winning records and they have great spring programs.

The problem with summer baseball teams is there are always parents involved in some capacity. I have never spoken to a college or pro scout who wants speak with any parent. They want to speak to professionals like the players high school coach. You mention on this topic that scouts are looking for physical skills from 17-18 year olds, and i agree. But scouts can see physcial ability of a player regardless of the competition he is playing. What they dont know from summer baseball is the students academic ability, character and work ethic those are things scouts ALWAYS speak to the high school coaches about.

I mean this as no personal attack on you BBC. I dont know you or what you do. But I think high school coaches have accomplished great things through the hard work in the summer. Tennessee baseball needs that work to continue to close the gap between itself and other states. I dont feel like someone is discredited that.

Instead of "travel ball" Tennessee needs more scout teams that only travel to these elite showcase tournaments and promote the best players. Those dont interfere with other summer plans.

QUOTE(tkeballer @ Mar 28 2007 - 08:56 PM) 826425302[/snapback]I find your post BBC disturbing and absolutely what is wrong with Tennessee baseball. Without a doubt i can tell you first hand that the extra work hs coaches are putting in the summer and demanding more from their players year round are not keeping players from getting seen but actually doing the opposite in that they are preparing more players for the next level. Scouts go where the talent is, it does not matter where they or who the talent is playing. I coach hs in central florida and down here everyone plays hs summer ball. There are scout teams that play on some weekends but everyone plays hs summer. The typical tennessee "travel team" does not exist down here. I can tell you I saw more scouts last summer on the hs summer circuit than i ever saw in tennessee when i ran elite summer tournaments. Case in point, Pat McMahon (uf head coach) watched 11 innings of a double header of my school and another this summer. both schools have less that 700 students and mcmahon wrote 4 pages of legal pad notes on the players he was there to see. We have 2 sophmores ( one is mine ) and one senior ranked in the top 50 of their classes according to perfect game in our local high school summer league. The scouts are at every game and some games we dont have umpires or turn on the schoreboard, it is all about instruction.

Anyone who thinks high school summer ball is not the same quality, I would like to pursade you to go watch the murfreesboro schools in the summer. they have raised the bar. They play every top team around and they travel all over the place. OH did i mention they always finish the summer with winning records and they have great spring programs.

The problem with summer baseball teams is there are always parents involved in some capacity. I have never spoken to a college or pro scout who wants speak with any parent. They want to speak to professionals like the players high school coach. You mention on this topic that scouts are looking for physical skills from 17-18 year olds, and i agree. But scouts can see physcial ability of a player regardless of the competition he is playing. What they dont know from summer baseball is the students academic ability, character and work ethic those are things scouts ALWAYS speak to the high school coaches about.

I mean this as no personal attack on you BBC. I dont know you or what you do. But I think high school coaches have accomplished great things through the hard work in the summer. Tennessee baseball needs that work to continue to close the gap between itself and other states. I dont feel like someone is discredited that.

Instead of "travel ball" Tennessee needs more scout teams that only travel to these elite showcase tournaments and promote the best players. Those dont interfere with other summer plans.

great point!!!!!!!!

The more a team can play together the better they will get!!!!!!!!!

Ask anyone from the 99-00 oakland teams. almost all of us played summer ball together each year!!!!!!!!!

we did not shy away from the mega teams with players from all over. In fact we beat many of them!! Ask the East Cobb GA teams about Oakland Baseball!!!!!!!!!!

I feel that this rule was designed to stop coaches who don't like their players to play other sports.

I think it depends on the dedication of the hs coach. Not all of them are willing to spend the extra time with a summer program and it falls to a Dad or some other dedicated volunteer. The old American Legion program was good. Teams like the Shoetiques in Nashville that played GNABA ball and the Twitty City teams and the old Huffines Electric. The biggest problem that I see is the fragmentation of all these summer programs. My Legion team in the olden days would play Legion teams, Sr. Babe Ruth teams, GNABA teams. They played alot of baseball, but not necessarily in a 'league' format. It used to be that the high school coaches had no contact during the summer season. What did the scouts do then? I might agree that forming elite teams makes in easier on the scouts, but they'll find the ones that can play.