Have you ever seen this

YellowCardFever

Okay at end of game we play a thru ball. Our player gets it and is all alone. Nears top of box and keeper is coming out and then...ref blows whistle and says game over right as he is starting to shoot. Player makes shot but it was about 2 seconds after whitsle. Now the goal didnt matter, we were up 5-1 and had scrubs in but maybe I've just missed it but has anyone ever been in a game with a player going one on one with a goalie and the refs stopping it? Seems to me you let play continue in that situation..of course this ref was 20 minutes late to the game so why should expect him to stay an extra 10 seconds. Was very weird.

QUOTE(YellowCardFever @ Mar 26 2007 - 09:24 PM) 826423443[/snapback]Okay at end of game we play a thru ball. Our player gets it and is all alone. Nears top of box and keeper is coming out and then...ref blows whistle and says game over right as he is starting to shoot. Player makes shot but it was about 2 seconds after whitsle. Now the goal didnt matter, we were up 5-1 and had scrubs in but maybe I've just missed it but has anyone ever been in a game with a player going one on one with a goalie and the refs stopping it? Seems to me you let play continue in that situation..of course this ref was 20 minutes late to the game so why should expect him to stay an extra 10 seconds. Was very weird.

well i am a ref as many others are...and you are supposed to let the game go on if some1 has a clear opportunity as many of you are awarer of..so i say that was really stupid even though it doesnt matter...

i mean what if its like a state final game and some1 has a break away to tie it up and the ref blows the whistle..well it stinks to hear..

QUOTE(YellowCardFever @ Mar 26 2007 - 09:24 PM) 826423443[/snapback]Okay at end of game we play a thru ball. Our player gets it and is all alone. Nears top of box and keeper is coming out and then...ref blows whistle and says game over right as he is starting to shoot. Player makes shot but it was about 2 seconds after whitsle. Now the goal didnt matter, we were up 5-1 and had scrubs in but maybe I've just missed it but has anyone ever been in a game with a player going one on one with a goalie and the refs stopping it? Seems to me you let play continue in that situation..of course this ref was 20 minutes late to the game so why should expect him to stay an extra 10 seconds. Was very weird.

I was watching a game in the Atlanta Cup during club season and a TN team was playing GA state champs Atlanta Lightning, it was a hard fought match 0-0 all game, both teams had great attacks. It was in stoppage time I think and Atl brought their keeper up for a corner...no one on their own half. The Tn team cleared the ball and it went to there forward standing at halfline, he turned and dribbled to the other goal..no one from the other team in sight and then the ref blew the game over as he was about at the 18! These kids were not happy

yeah it was a stupid call, but i mean you guys were up by 4. if the game was gonna be decided on this call then i would hope he would let play continue. but, again, you were winning by 4 so its not a big deal.

QUOTE(ManU90 @ Mar 26 2007 - 08:39 PM) 826423471[/snapback]yeah it was a stupid call, but i mean you guys were up by 4. if the game was gonna be decided on this call then i would hope he would let play continue. but, again, you were winning by 4 so its not a big deal.

While I don't know the ref, this may have been the key point. Officially, when his watch goes off, it is over (there is no "stoppage time" in highschool soccer. He is supposed to stop his clock after a goal, and after injuries... it's not like in professional soccer; or so I have heard from our local refs...)

But usually, the refs let it go until the end of the possession or attack.

This is unusual....however, by rule, when the time is up- the game is over. As stupid as it seems, if the ball is kicked from 40 yds out and the time ends while the ball is in the air and then goes in, the goal doesn't count. That is the letter of the law, the spirit of the law would be to let play continue until the play is over. I guess at 5-1 the ref figured that ...down to the exact second he would end it- maybe he had not kept time and realized he was already over! It sure would make a lot of people mad. Sometimes common sense is better than anything else.

Correct - once time is expired the game is over.

FIFA - adds time for injuries, cards, etc. and never stops the clock.

Tn. High School - stops the clock for several reasons (goals, cards, injuries, etc.).

There's nothing in FIFA or TSSAA that provides for continuation just because a player has a goal scoring opportunity (being able to sell the call is another matter). With a 5-1 score I would have already decided to end the game exactly on time. Conversely, and you've seen it before when you know time has expired, if the next play is putting the ball back into play the referee will almost always let the kick or throw occur and then blow the whistle once the ball is in play.