The Best Choice for Hampton?

DekeRivers

QUOTE(old44 @ Mar 28 2007 - 02:03 PM) 826425001[/snapback]Len Dugger helped a lot of kids in Carter County develop basketball skills, and not just kids from Elizabethton. I know he took many kids to camp at Gardner-Webb that would not have had a chance to go otherwise.

Amen: Len Dugger has helped or tried to help more kids from Carter County than all they other Coaches put together. And I know this for a fact, proud to have played for him.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon is a great coach does a good job scouting opponents and his record speaks for itself, but it's different in highschool when you are going against better coaches. Leon will adjust and be very successful. Kids that play for him are not always fundamentally sound, but he is a lot like JC if he has the best talent he wins.

QUOTE(oleagle @ Mar 28 2007 - 04:36 PM) 826425098[/snapback]Amen: Len Dugger has helped or tried to help more kids from Carter County than all they other Coaches put together. And I know this for a fact, proud to have played for him.

QUOTE(twilightbark @ Mar 28 2007 - 06:27 PM) 826425143[/snapback]Leon is a great coach does a good job scouting opponents and his record speaks for itself, but it's different in highschool when you are going against better coaches. Leon will adjust and be very successful. Kids that play for him are not always fundamentally sound, but he is a lot like JC if he has the best talent he wins.

I don't really understand where you are coming from when you say that the kids that play for LT are not always fundamentally sound. That is about all they do is drill, drill, drill, fundamentals. I have seen hin take talent and win and I have seen him take no or little talent and win bigger. Just look at this past season. The girls were not supposed to win 2-3 games and they won 16, but I guess that based on your hypothesis that he "outtalented" all those teams they beat. I think not.

QUOTE(bouncepass @ Mar 28 2007 - 07:41 PM) 826425194[/snapback]Tough to please some people. No wonder he doesn't go over to the boys.

They lost there last 6 or 7 games and honestly looked horrible in doing so.A 3rd or 4th place finish in girl bball in probably the weakest conference in the state dosen't warrant getting the head basketball job at any school much less Hampton. Matt Birchfield has done a much better job over a much longer period of time. Also heard Lunsford turned the job down because he doesn't want to be a head coach while his son is playing. Same reason he isn't already the head football coach.

Maybe that was worded wrong, when leon got them he had a lot of bad habits to break, I didn't see his girls play this year but I heard they overachieved with a 5'5" center. I did see his elementary teams play seems like he always played great after christmas break. I would be happy to see Leon take the boys, he will be loyal to the girls.

QUOTE(bouncepass @ Mar 28 2007 - 06:41 PM) 826425194[/snapback]Tough to please some people. No wonder he doesn't go over to the boys.

Here is a big stat to think about. Coach Jerry White in most years had five or six seniors on each of his teams. Out of those five or six most years two or three have graduated from college. I know college isn't for everyone. But this is a better stat than W or L. Good luck and best wishes.

QUOTE(oleagle @ Mar 29 2007 - 05:32 AM) 826425532[/snapback]Here is a big stat to think about. Coach Jerry White in most years had five or six seniors on each of his teams. Out of those five or six most years two or three have graduated from college. I know college isn't for everyone. But this is a better stat than W or L. Good luck and best wishes.

AS stated by someone earlier, bo you want a babby sitter or a coach. I agree with benchwarmer, hire the football guy!

QUOTE(goalline08 @ Mar 28 2007 - 11:37 AM) 826424901[/snapback]I can't see that happening. J.R. is a great man, and a good coach, but did he every really win the big one. Did he ever win conference, district, or regional titles? and if he did, was it enough to consider it a trend or a fluke? not sure that he would be the best choice. if he were to get hired, it probably be unaka @ cloudland for the conference. Lunsford, seems to be the logical choice. he was pretty successful when he was with cloudlands girls.

Did he ever win the big one??? Only two men alive in Carter County has ever won the BIG one. Charlie Bayless in 74 and Donald Ensor is 2004. Campbell went through the middle school ranks fast taking a team that was beaten by the second worst team 54-18 to winning the regional Championship in one year. He then advance to Johnson County and took a team that moved up in ranks and played their best ball in thirty years... There is no doubt in my mind He is the best man for the job. Why would Cloudland's coach leave when he defeated Hampton in both the District and Regional.. As for Betsy, Dugger is the only logical choice for the job, if Wilson steps down. Wilson had several underclassman and had a pretty good season, I look for him to return... As for Alexander making decesion, he is only an intern at this point and has not been appointed yet, policitics may surprise everyone

QUOTE(DekeRivers @ Mar 29 2007 - 07:44 PM) 826426131[/snapback]Did he ever win the big one??? Only two men alive in Carter County has ever won the BIG one. Charlie Bayless in 74 and Donald Ensor is 2004. Campbell went through the middle school ranks fast taking a team that was beaten by the second worst team 54-18 to winning the regional Championship in one year. He then advance to Johnson County and took a team that moved up in ranks and played their best ball in thirty years... There is no doubt in my mind He is the best man for the job. Why would Cloudland's coach leave when he defeated Hampton in both the District and Regional.. As for Betsy, Dugger is the only logical choice for the job, if Wilson steps down. Wilson had several underclassman and had a pretty good season, I look for him to return... As for Alexander making decesion, he is only an intern at this point and has not been appointed yet, policitics may surprise everyone

Great Statements by you, Deke Rivers! However, here's how it's going to go:

JERRY WHITE is the new coach at Hampton High School. Well, he's actually the new, old coach . . . .or, uh, the Old, New Coach, or something like that. Either way, Jerry White is now the Basketball Coach at Hampton high School.