What is the most popular formation in TN hs soccer and what are the pr

cchssoccer

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ThomasJ @ Mar 29 2007 - 09:10 PM) 826426244[/snapback]We do something different 3-5-2 A lot of flexability but most have three studs in the back.

yeah i prefer the 3-5-2

with a strong core midfield it is beastly

it seems to help keep from getting outnumbered anywhere on the field

and if the other team can't control the middle of the field it cuts down on their offensive opportunities

QUOTE(Hoya @ Mar 29 2007 - 04:44 PM) 826425983[/snapback]If played properly, through balls attempted against a good flat back are simply losses of possession. It is easy to beat a bad flat back but a properly trained flat back is a thing of beauty---especially when it transitions to the attack. There just isn't time or, usually, sufficient talent on most high school teams to get it right.

I dont know what ur talking about in a loss of possesion. Flat back fours get broken down all the time. Flat back four is the worst defense you can play. Any team with a forward with a little speed and skill would beat it easily.

QUOTE(itsaboutthegame @ Mar 30 2007 - 03:06 PM) 826426700[/snapback]I dont know what ur talking about in a loss of possesion. Flat back fours get broken down all the time. Flat back four is the worst defense you can play. Any team with a forward with a little speed and skill would beat it easily.

flat back 4 takes 2 things to succeed

#1 players ability to mark in a zone defense and thats not just the defenders but the midfielders have use the same principals also to help cover and support there defenders

plus it also helps your possession if your forwards are willing to chase down opposing midfielders in order to retain possession for you team

#2 you must have a goalie who can read the game

QUOTE(mjuhb @ Mar 30 2007 - 08:10 PM) 826426802[/snapback]anyways get the book EPL 4-4-2 from eurosport and learn the proper principals for running a flat back 4

a flat back four is the way to go if you are strong and smart enough in the back to where you mark up and dont let people in behind you and having a fast defense does help with a smary/good goalie to fill in behind on long balls

honestly better teams play with a flat back four becasue they are smart and teams without a lot fo experince(such as high school teams) play with a sweeper but having that system is very easy for a smart/fast forward with good ability to break

QUOTE(itsaboutthegame @ Mar 30 2007 - 04:06 PM) 826426700[/snapback]I dont know what ur talking about in a loss of possesion. Flat back fours get broken down all the time. Flat back four is the worst defense you can play. Any team with a forward with a little speed and skill would beat it easily.

Maybe if it is not played well, but the flat 4 is never really flat. I wouldn't use it if I was trapping someone. when played well, it is very strong. Most so, if you have outside backs who can get into the attack and have good service. It is just tough to teach if the players are not used to it.

QUOTE(mjuhb @ Mar 30 2007 - 08:06 PM) 826426797[/snapback]flat back 4 takes 2 things to succeed

#1 players ability to mark in a zone defense and thats not just the defenders but the midfielders have use the same principals also to help cover and support there defenders

plus it also helps your possession if your forwards are willing to chase down opposing midfielders in order to retain possession for you team

#2 you must have a goalie who can read the game

Yeah, but a FLAT BACK FOUR doesnt matter if you have forwards who chase midfielders or a smart keeper, one long ball plays your entire team out of the game...one well timed run beats your whole team, no matter how hard your forwards work or how well the keeper reads the game

QUOTE(akula21 @ Mar 30 2007 - 10:52 PM) 826426936[/snapback]Maybe if it is not played well, but the flat 4 is never really flat. I wouldn't use it if I was trapping someone. when played well, it is very strong. Most so, if you have outside backs who can get into the attack and have good service. It is just tough to teach if the players are not used to it.

I understand what you are saying, but a true flat back four is an offside trap defense, you have also have a four back where both centerbacks drop a few yards deeper than the wide defenders, not the same as a flat back four

Several ideas have been shared that are correct, while many have been totally off base.

The flat back 4 is truly never FLAT... there is always supposed to be a center back who is in control and allowed to be the deepest and in charge of keeping the others in line with him with they step up. It is not a intended to be a offside trap persay... it lends it self to making it easy to catch teams off, but the idea is to stay somewhat even and limit the amout of space you give the attackers. It is always better to have experienced players, but any GOOD coach can teach the 4-4-2 with a little exposure to the correst way of running it. The major ideal is keeping the defense connected with the mid field, if the D stays deep and dosen't step up the other team easly wins balls that get through the mid... with the D stepped up it gives you plenty of support through the middle. Also having skilled fullbacks always helps b/c they are able to help in switches in the attack, and that gives another attacker to help the offense.

So like others have said, it takes skill, but a good coach can teach it to anyone. Through balls do not beat the flat 4 b/c if its run right they are easly stopped by center backs coming across to cut them off or smart keepers knowing when to step up and win the ball.

When run as intended it is the most offensive/defensive formation b/c its allows for support to both attack and defense with completely sacrificing one or the other.

QUOTE(wai652231 @ Apr 1 2007 - 10:38 PM) 826427991[/snapback]Several ideas have been shared that are correct, while many have been totally off base.

So like others have said, it takes skill, but a good coach can teach it to anyone. Through balls do not beat the flat 4 b/c if its run right they are easly stopped by center backs coming across to cut them off or smart keepers knowing when to step up and win the ball.

Through balls are the main thing that beat a flat back four. That is how my highschool scored on flat back fours. I simple diagonal through ball beat the defense every time. If you play the way you are saying with one centerback behind the others, it allows for forwards to run behind the first line of defenders without being offsides. Throughballs are easily played behind a flat back four, that is why not many teams run it anymore. Look at any EPL team, they play with the two center backs deeper and the outside backs a step or two higher, its like a U shape in the back.