Only one Ref starts game!

cchssoccer

Does anyone know the rules through TSSAA about district matches and the referees?

Tonight, we played 2 hours away and the assigned ref's went to the wrong school. Well, one HOUR after the game was to start, a ref showed up and started the game. 20 minutes later, another ref shows up to finish the half with a two-man system.. blowing the whistle early after a 3-4 min. injury time NOT ADDED. Then the other team, who represented there school poorly, persistantly took cheap shots to the opponents on almost every 50/50 ball...only to get "Direct kicks". I think 4 cards were given in the last 10-15 minutes of the game....one for wasting time, the others physically earned...But by this time, our team had been literally beaten up. I walked out of there feeling like "the spirit of the game" is gone! What happened to real soccer, great moves, beautiful vision....... Knock the crap out of the opponent repeatedly and still have the privilage of playing? This really stinks! Sooo disappionted........

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cchssoccer @ Mar 29 2007 - 11:07 PM) 826426313[/snapback]Does anyone know the rules through TSSAA about district matches and the referees?

Tonight, we played 2 hours away and the assigned ref's went to the wrong school. Well, one HOUR after the game was to start, a ref showed up and started the game. 20 minutes later, another ref shows up to finish the half with a two-man system.. blowing the whistle early after a 3-4 min. injury time NOT ADDED. Then the other team, who represented there school poorly, persistantly took cheap shots to the opponents on almost every 50/50 ball...only to get "Direct kicks". I think 4 cards were given in the last 10-15 minutes of the game....one for wasting time, the others physically earned...But by this time, our team had been literally beaten up. I walked out of there feeling like "the spirit of the game" is gone! What happened to real soccer, great moves, beautiful vision....... Knock the crap out of the opponent repeatedly and still have the privilage of playing? This really stinks! Sooo disappionted........

Where did you play at? What school do you play for? The issue here is as usual TSSAA has NO handle on officials in TN at all. To their defense though a lot of them are doing it just to help out for the sortage we are having with refs since a lot of them do not want to be screamed on from coaches, parents and players. They had enough of that but still that is not an excuse. I still hold TSSAA responsible for not penalizing the refs for being late, and for poor performance in games. If there was a system in place refs would think twice about trying to "beat" the system. Just my thoughts on that subject, of course BigG will probably delete my response since he does not like any of my comments...

Problems with the two-ref system have been pretty thoroughly covered in other threads. To answer one of your questions, there is no rule against starting a match with one referee and two club linesmen. If the other referee shows up you switch to the two man (or a three man if the third ref was late). Also, in TSSAA you never add time to a game; you stop the clock for certain events like goals, injuries or cards but you never play for more than the 40 minutes.

[Also, in TSSAA you never add time to a game; you stop the clock for certain events like goals, injuries or cards but you never play for more than the 40 minutes.

I did not realize a TSSAA ref does not add time...they have stoppage time. Apparently, the ref never stopped the clock when 2 diff. injuries occured because the first half was 40...so 36-37 minutes of actual game time. Also, Only one ref and NO clublinesmen.

I better get over this game...no need to vent anymore. Life is not fair and soccer is never fair! So, we move on and do our best.

QUOTE(cchssoccer @ Mar 30 2007 - 10:49 AM) 826426549[/snapback][Also, in TSSAA you never add time to a game; you stop the clock for certain events like goals, injuries or cards but you never play for more than the 40 minutes.

I did not realize a TSSAA ref does not add time...they have stoppage time. Apparently, the ref never stopped the clock when 2 diff. injuries occured because the first half was 40...so 36-37 minutes of actual game time. Also, Only one ref and NO clublinesmen.

I better get over this game...no need to vent anymore. Life is not fair and soccer is never fair! So, we move on and do our best.

The problem, cchs is that some of the refs do add time and they are not supposed to, or don't stop the clock when they are. They are only supposed to stop the clock after goals, a bad injury or a card. There is no added time.

My biggest beef is consistency. Call the same fouls the same way for each team.

QUOTE(Cheamilion @ Mar 30 2007 - 10:22 AM) 826426480[/snapback]Last year we had a game, where one ref got stuck in traffic, and was a little late. But the other ref moved to Brazil, and didn't feel the need in telling any of us...

I'm just wondering. Is this a common problem?

Monday we played at Stratford and one official was 25 minutes late. We started the game without him. He showed up about 20 minutes into the game. Our coach told him after the game he was going to turn him in for being late as this has happened before with him. The official refused to give the coach his name. Our coach just asked the other coach and got it( it was their home game) The funniest part was the official turned the coach into TSSAA for " yelling at him and coming at him in an aggresive manner and said the coach yelled at him until he finally had to leave". All the players on both teams and the other coaches were around as this was at mid field and this never happened. He basically lied to the TSSAA probably because he knew our coach was turning him in. I have heard its hard to get enough officials but guys like him that show up late like this and then make up wild stories should not be officiating. I think our coach was getting witness statements to send into TSSAA that prove the ref was lieing. By the way I know there are some good refs out there but TSSAA really needs to find a system to control the bad ones. We won easily by the way so it wasnt a sour grapes thing for losing.

QUOTE(YellowCardFever @ Mar 30 2007 - 01:08 PM) 826426621[/snapback]Monday we played at Stratford and one official was 25 minutes late. We started the game without him. He showed up about 20 minutes into the game. Our coach told him after the game he was going to turn him in for being late as this has happened before with him. The official refused to give the coach his name. Our coach just asked the other coach and got it( it was their home game) The funniest part was the official turned the coach into TSSAA for " yelling at him and coming at him in an aggresive manner and said the coach yelled at him until he finally had to leave". All the players on both teams and the other coaches were around as this was at mid field and this never happened. He basically lied to the TSSAA probably because he knew our coach was turning him in. I have heard its hard to get enough officials but guys like him that show up late like this and then make up wild stories should not be officiating. I think our coach was getting witness statements to send into TSSAA that prove the ref was lieing. By the way I know there are some good refs out there but TSSAA really needs to find a system to control the bad ones. We won easily by the way so it wasnt a sour grapes thing for losing.

I do not think your coach will win his case with TSSAA. They do not care about any statements. He will be "branded" for the rest of his career for standing up to this pathetic excuse of an official. Another thing is like BigG said in another post about a bad official your team might see him again and again during the regular season. That's when this official will vent towards the players and possibly the coach with bad calls. The flood gates have been open...Good Luck!

QUOTE(cchssoccer @ Mar 29 2007 - 11:07 PM) 826426313[/snapback]Does anyone know the rules through TSSAA about district matches and the referees?

I am assuming CCHS is Chester Co. TCA played a similar game in West Tn this past week. Actually, the refs started out calling the fouls, then got tired of blowing the whistle so much, and let everybody play. One of the refs apologized to our parents after the game, saying "yours is the better team, this is just a bunch of hoods". I have a question, though. In TSSAA rules, are both teams allowed to substitute, regardless of the posession? We have been, but at this game we were not allowed to. Cost us the game. Our keeper was run over, shaken up and had to leave the field because the coach was called out. A sub was put in, while the keeper waited for the next stoppage. But we were not allowed to sub through several throw ins. Our players were kicking the ball out of bounds, thinking the keeper would come in. He was not allowed back on the field until after the other team scored a goal.

QUOTE(tcamom @ Apr 1 2007 - 10:07 AM) 826427529[/snapback]I am assuming CCHS is Chester Co. TCA played a similar game in West Tn this past week. Actually, the refs started out calling the fouls, then got tired of blowing the whistle so much, and let everybody play. One of the refs apologized to our parents after the game, saying "yours is the better team, this is just a bunch of hoods". I have a question, though. In TSSAA rules, are both teams allowed to substitute, regardless of the posession? We have been, but at this game we were not allowed to. Cost us the game. Our keeper was run over, shaken up and had to leave the field because the coach was called out. A sub was put in, while the keeper waited for the next stoppage. But we were not allowed to sub through several throw ins. Our players were kicking the ball out of bounds, thinking the keeper would come in. He was not allowed back on the field until after the other team scored a goal.

You are only allowed to substitute for your own team after the following:

A goal kick

A goal being scored

An injury (1 for 1)

A yellow card (only for the player carded)

Possession gained by the ball going out of bounds by the other team

If the other teams choses to substitute on their own throw in, then you may substitute your player. I think this is the one that applies to your situation.

The key here is that unless the other team substitutes one of their players, you can't sub in on their throw in. It is not like the Fifa rules that say you can sub on any stoppage of play. Since you kicked the ball out, it was the other teams throw. I assume that they didn't substitute. If they did sub, then you should be allowed to put your player back in.

QUOTE(BigG @ Apr 1 2007 - 11:15 AM) 826427534[/snapback]You are only allowed to substitute for your own team after the following:

A goal kick

A goal being scored

An injury (1 for 1)

A yellow card (only for the player carded)

Possession gained by the ball going out of bounds by the other team

If the other teams choses to substitute on their own throw in, then you may substitute your player. I think this is the one that applies to your situation.

The key here is that unless the other team substitutes one of their players, you can't sub in on their throw in. It is not like the Fifa rules that say you can sub on any stoppage of play. Since you kicked the ball out, it was the other teams throw. I assume that they didn't substitute. If they did sub, then you should be allowed to put your player back in.

Thanks, that explains it clearly. I will spread the word.

I just love how ppl get on here and state things as if they are the "victims" of some sort of evil scheme. If you are going to be bold enough to post details of an event, you should probably make sure that you know what you are talking about first. Otherwise, you will just be known for fabricating stories to make another team look bad. Or just wanting to complain about what you think happened.... and WHY you think it happened!!! But in this case, you are dead wrong about what happened and why.

1. The refs did not go to the wrong school, the officials assignor made a mistake in the schedule and did not have any referees assigned to the game. He had to pull refs from other games to come and cover this game. He admitted to making the mistake, and BOTH teams had to endure the same wait!!!!

2. We did wait for the 2nd ref for 15 more minutes, but had to start the game due to lighting concerns. The first referee decided to start the match on his own.

3. There were only 3 yellow cards given, and 2 of them were to your team. Both of which were for physical play. And you were correct about the one for delay of game given to our team.

4. As far as representing our school poorly......... that is your opinion. And probably one you should have kept to yourself.