Temple's New Players for 07-08...Who Are They?

global98

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(THELEGEND @ Apr 3 2007 - 08:19 AM) 826428750[/snapback]Are athletes allowed to get financial aid in D-1?

Temple University isn't D1. I'm not sure how this would affect any athletes in the University NCAA wise. It is a pretty good incentive to go to HS there and if I was another private school in Chattanooga I would view it as an advantage for Temple.

QUOTE(zonepirate @ Apr 3 2007 - 07:27 AM) 826428761[/snapback]Temple University isn't D1. I'm not sure how this would affect any athletes in the University NCAA wise. It is a pretty good incentive to go to HS there and if I was another private school in Chattanooga I would view it as an advantage for Temple.

I'm talking about TSSAA D-1 High School.

Does anyone from Temple know anything about what I posted about the high school student who is publicly stating that he is going to attend Temple Academy for FREE next year through a scholarship at his church.....which seems to be a violation of TSSAA rules? Please help clear this up for us someone from Temple!

QUOTE(global98 @ Apr 3 2007 - 09:33 AM) 826428771[/snapback]Does anyone from Temple know anything about what I posted about the high school student who is publicly stating that he is going to attend Temple Academy for FREE next year through a scholarship at his church.....which seems to be a violation of TSSAA rules? Please help clear this up for us someone from Temple!

I, as well as many others, would love some help getting the answer to this question!

The University is not DI. They are NAIA and NCCAA which is the Christian College association.

Doesn't matter really.

Yes, Temple High School is DI which means the students that play varsity athletics must be the ones that pay their bill. They may not recieve scholarship.

Also, don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I did not read about someone getting a scholarship to Temple Academy on the internet. The person told me to my face. He said his mom was sending him to Temple next year and that he would not have to pay because he was getting a scholarship to attend free. He is an athlete who will play both football and basketball. He said the scholarship would be through his church. I checked the TSSAA website and it says that tuition can only be paid by the parents if you are an athlete participating in a D-I school. If this person is telling the truth, then it is looks to be a "violation" on Temple's part. If he is not telling the truth, then my question is how did it get started and someone from Temple (whoever he has been dealing with) had better set him straight!

I have no reason to call TSSAA to get an answer to my question. I am sure that the answer is available from some of the posters from Temple. Either they can confirm or deny the information. The point is a high school student is stating this as a fact and I don't know if he is misinformed or not. I thought someone from Temple could say "yes" this is how it is done, or the the guy is lying. TSSAA would not listen to someone not associated with a school.

QUOTE(mtnman @ Apr 3 2007 - 12:22 PM) 826429016[/snapback]The University is not DI. They are NAIA and NCCAA which is the Christian College association.

TTU is not NAIA, they cant get in until they become accredited (which may never happen.) I have heard tons and tons of people talking about temple recruiting.

Who knows, I dont see how kids can live in the dorms. That gives them advantages over every other D-1 school.

I dont see how the can offer any sort of discount to TTU to any Temple Academy graduate. I mean if the kid makes a certain grade on the ACT and has a certain GPA give them a scholorship but it seems like that would have to be availble to any student. This is something else that gives them an advantage over other D-1 schools.

Here is my main problem. I dont have a problem with the stuff as far as cheating. I dont really believe Temple purposely cheats. I believe the Church and school are better than to let that go on. (Now if Temple has 5 brand new transfers on their roster next year that should raise some eyebrows.) But here is my main problem. I am afraid it is going to be something like the kids in the dorms or free tuition to TTU that makes all private schools go DII. You know all the public schools are just looking for a reason to have a total split and it is going to be something like this that does it.

call TSSAA to report it.

call Temple to see if it is true.

The kid probably doesn't know what he is talking about.

Again, if it is true, it needs to be reported. Otherwise this kind of stuff will never stop.

A church is not allowed to give scholarship. (if the student wants to play varsity athletics) Money has to come from their parents, or I believe it even says a family member.

Whos to say a church is not giving the family $$ to pay tuition. This COULD be happening at other DI schools.

Temple's success should attract some transfers. The recruting typically happens by players and parents. I cannot image a coach at Temple is contacting players.

Ooltewah has about five tranfers on their baseball team, doesn't mean the recruited them.