WARTBURG HIGH SCHOOL

Deerhunter44

It's kinda early for this question isn't it? I mean, don't get me wrong I can't wait until the high school season starts, but there's still a lot of questions to answer between now and then. Like all of you all are saying; Wartburg has to find a coach first and try to rebuild their program. Then there's spring practice, summer workouts and such for both squads. I'm sure that Scott already has somewhat of an idea what their team will be like, but for the dogs at this point I think it's still a total mystery. But having a new coach, WHOEVER that happens to be has got to be getting the folks in the Burg exited! I mean hey, after the last two seasons I'd be exited if I saw Martha Stewart on Wartburg's sideline. Honest!!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(caesar @ Apr 7 2007 - 01:22 PM) 826431906[/snapback]I have sat back and read all these posts about what a school can and cannot do with regard to coaching supplements and I find it hard to believe that any member of a county commission or school board would try to prevent a booster club from increasing the coaches supplement and here's why:

1. The football program at most schools brings in 50-60% of the total athletic revenue for the high school. At successful programs the numbers are even more. If you hire the right man, he will more than triple his pay in one or two years with EACH HOME FOOTBALL GAME. That means if you pay him an extra $1500 extra (minimum) he will bring in that much every single home game if his program is growing and improving. Great football coaches are worth so much more than they are paid through either booster or school board allocations.

2. If you have a successful football program that success will translate into more athletic and academic success throughout your school. There is a lot of sound education research that supports this claim and I have seen it throughout my years in education.

3. As long as you think small, you will not find success! If you think big, you have a chance to be successful.

I have been involved in education for twenty-five years and before I left the profession I can honestly say I never heard anyone suggest that a football coach should earn only $1500. As a lifelong assistant coach I never earned less than that amount and I can't imagine a good head coach wanting to work for that amount. $3000 is a small amount for a head coach but at least it is better than $1500! Mr. Commissioner, I suggest you check around at the other schools in your part of the state and you will find that the average head coach in the Plateau earns about $4200 a year and the average assistant coach earns between $1500-2300 a year. These are the facts.

If you bring in a good head coach and pay him what he is worth, I PROMISE YOU HE WILL EARN EVERY DIME HE MAKES AND PUT MONEY IN YOUR COFFERS! If you don’t, well it doesn’t matter if who you hire, you will have more of the same!

Success begins with the state of mind and then the hard work of young men and coaches turn it into reality on the field. If the people of WARTBURG want success they are going to have to go to their elected officials and make their voices heard. Don't let one so-called commissioner from Coalfield tell you what you can or cannot do.

Well I've preached enough for one beautiful Saturday afternoon, it's time for me to go back to the lake! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I agree totally, if Wartburg wants a good football program they need to raise the price that they are going to pay coaches. That in return will get better coaches and then more WINS which means more $$ for academics, and other sports.

QUOTE(bamadude @ Apr 10 2007 - 09:02 AM) 826433754[/snapback]Why am I not surprised that you would want Martha Stewert to coach your team. Maybe you girls can bake cookies instead of practice football. I think this game will end in 0 - 0 tie, both teams stink.

how do you get a 0-0 tie, i mean shs is a steadily improving program, and who knows what wartburg has. i mean knew coach new system. from a stand point of a player for shs who'll see the game upclose the winner will be who wants it more and whose prepared to take it. only thing that i have to see is we'll find out when season starts. and to wartburg good luck we'll see u in wk 0.

QUOTE(bamadude @ Apr 3 2007 - 06:45 AM) 826428731[/snapback]Hate to break it to you, but you are not going to have a ton of people clammering for this job. Believe it or not Morgan Co is not a talent rich community, and you treat your coaches like dirt. According to most Wartburg fans on here, now that Davis is gone - you guys should be competing with Alcoa for championships (We'll see about that)

well i will be playing next year and we might not compete for championships this year, we will surprise alot of people. We have all kinds of talent it's spread out through the county. Coalfield has turned out 4 consecutive college players and Steven Hensley is over at UT.

QUOTE(superdaveosborne @ Apr 10 2007 - 09:52 AM) 826433898[/snapback]I still think they should hire the middleschooler! The way he teaches his girls to thug it up, he might make the move to football pretty well!

well his b-ball team is usually one of the best teams in the region and they dont have players fighting during games so they must not be thugs u just hatin

bamadude is from Harriman.....which by the way makes him an expert in sports! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Now academically speaking......well the jury is still out about that one. To answer the title question, there is no way Scott Co. should lose this one. They have been consistently working out with the present coaching staff, while Wartburg is kinda in "limbo". Sure the Bulldogs have probably been working out, but its anybodies quess as to how hard or consistantly they have been stacking the iron. Scott Co. should take this one by several scores: 26 - 7

yea i just love bamadude harrassing everyone else when all he does is prolly stand on the sidelines. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />