Webb vs CAK

PinballWizard

QUOTE(BigG @ Apr 10 2007 - 09:32 PM) 826434284[/snapback]VERY physical game on both parts, hard fought, bodies flying everywhere. I'm not usually one to complain, but boy, those refs didn't help much. It is pretty sad when both coaches look at each other with raised hands on some of the calls. CAK had about 2 good looks at goal and Webb had one that went just over the crossbar. Back and forth possession. Webb has a good counter attack.

Webb played a great game. I don't know how in the world they tied Karns.

We have tied Webb now 3 out of 5 times. Glad to see that Stein (sp?) was back in it.

It was quite a game. Indeed, bodies and body parts strewn on the field. Both teams had quality chances and one had the feeling that the first team to make an error would end up losing. In the end, each defense came up with a big play just when it looked like an opportunity was opening up.

Man for man, I've not seen a team that plays as hard as CAK. I'm exhausted and didn't get hit once.

Now both teams turn their attention to the region/district rivals on Friday. What a week.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game, too.

I agree with the assessment that it was a fast paced game, enjoyable to watch.

It was physical at times, too, but I'm not qualified to criticize the refereeing on some of the closer calls. One general comment (and complement) about the center ref. From where I was sitting he seemed to keep his composure in this emotional rivalry match, even though he gave Mr. Tarr two yellows and the CAK bench one.

Another comment on Mr. Tarr. This was the first time I'd seen him play. He is truly a dangerous player with almost magical skills around the net. He had a couple of deep runs where he held the ball much longer than most you'd see (almost "Gretzkyesque") then he'd center the ball back to a teammate. Webb was ultimately able to defend these thrusts, but you held your breath as you watched him work.

It was interesting to me to see how CAK responded at the very end when Mr. Tarr left the field. It seemed they elevated their collective energy level and they pressed Webb very hard for a couple of minutes. This was when CAK made a great shot and Mr. Baird made his terrific save.

Overall the play was a tribute to both teams coaches and players. Personnally, I love CAK's skill and organization when attacking--very fun to see it unfold.

QUOTE(shims4 @ Apr 10 2007 - 07:43 PM) 826434302[/snapback]Also a CAK player had what looked like a fairly serious head injury; anyone have any updates?

Update on the CAK player...

Unfortunately, it is much worse than we thought. I normally wouldn't put this on a thread (especially before a big game like Catholic) but there are times like this when I need to be reminded that there are more important things than the game itself.

David has suffered a facial fracture beneath his eye. Right now they are waiting until Monday to see if it will start healing on its own, so that they will not have to do surgery. We have no idea how long he will be out. I am a strong believer in the power of prayer, and while this might not be the forum for it, we would really appreciate your prayers for this young man. "Where two or more are gathered..." Specifically for supernatural healing, and no complications to his sight or his ability to play soccer.

Thank you...

QUOTE(BigG @ Apr 11 2007 - 02:03 PM) 826434950[/snapback]Update on the CAK player...

Unfortunately, it is much worse than we thought. I normally wouldn't put this on a thread (especially before a big game like Catholic) but there are times like this when I need to be reminded that there are more important things than the game itself.

David has suffered a facial fracture beneath his eye. Right now they are waiting until Monday to see if it will start healing on its own, so that they will not have to do surgery. We have no idea how long he will be out. I am a strong believer in the power of prayer, and while this might not be the forum for it, we would really appreciate your prayers for this young man. "Where two or more are gathered..." Specifically for supernatural healing, and no complications to his sight or his ability to play soccer.

Thank you...

Coach,

I will request healing prayers at my house of worship this Sunday for your injured player. As to the comments on this strand about the style of play exhibited by CAK, I would like to add my thoughts. When CAK beat us in the State semifinal last year, my players commented on the polite nature of the CAK players. One of my players said, "You couldn't get mad at them because they were so nice." And another chimed in with, "Yeah, everytime we did something well they would say 'hey, good ball, etc.'" In one of my pregame talks this season I reminded my players of that game and the more important aspects of athletics, namely character and integrity coupled with effort, execution, and passion. Although Brandon Tarr was not playing in that game, I suspect that he conducts himself in the manner that my team and I saw all of the CAK players conduct themselves in last season's tournament. That type of conduct comes from coaches, programs, schools, parents, and players who know how to prioritize the game and its many aspects.

Ron Nance

CSAS Soccer

QUOTE(BigG @ Apr 11 2007 - 02:03 PM) 826434950[/snapback]Update on the CAK player...

Thank you...

Tom

On behalf of the entire Webb team, I offer our support and prayers. He seems like a fine young man who played fearlessly. I know the player who collided with David was concerned for him as well.

Please keep us updated on his progress.

QUOTE(CSAS Soccer @ Apr 11 2007 - 12:28 PM) 826434999[/snapback]Coach,

I will request healing prayers at my house of worship this Sunday for your injured player. As to the comments on this strand about the style of play exhibited by CAK, I would like to add my thoughts. When CAK beat us in the State semifinal last year, my players commented on the polite nature of the CAK players. One of my players said, "You couldn't get mad at them because they were so nice." And another chimed in with, "Yeah, everytime we did something well they would say 'hey, good ball, etc.'" In one of my pregame talks this season I reminded my players of that game and the more important aspects of athletics, namely character and integrity coupled with effort, execution, and passion. Although Brandon Tarr was not playing in that game, I suspect that he conducts himself in the manner that my team and I saw all of the CAK players conduct themselves in last season's tournament. That type of conduct comes from coaches, programs, schools, parents, and players who know how to prioritize the game and its many aspects.

Ron Nance

CSAS Soccer

Coach,

Our goal as a CAK soccer program is to demonstrate this type of soccer in all of our games. Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen... coaching included. What I look for, though, is that it is the exception and not the mean. Usually, Brandon does not get the benefit of the doubt, usually because of who he is and how he plays. He will always be under a microscope and held to a higher standard. This is a hard lesson for a young man to learn (even for an old man to learn) but he is striving to become a better man, as we all are.

On behalf of the entire Webb team, I offer our support and prayers. He seems like a fine young man who played fearlessly. I know the player who collided with David was concerned for him as well.

Please keep us updated on his progress.

Thank you. I'll keep you all posted.

"On a disappointing note, I lost a lot of respect for Brandon Tarr after this game. He had a very late challenge that took out Webb's sweeper for a good portion of the game and employed tactics that seemed dirty and extremely childish. While he was very dangerous on the ball and made plays, they were overshadowed by his dirty and cheap play." -shims4

Shims4 this comment seems childish to me, but that is just my opinion. Calling out a player like that when he made a play is just classless. Tarr's first yellow card was just a good play on both sides of the ball, but unfortunately one player came down hurt. I thought it was a great game for both teams. Good luck to both teams the rest of the season. Pifer you will be in our prayers.

I didn't mean to offend this many people with my initial post. I have only see Brandon play a handful of times and almost always plays in very classy fashion. I was commenting on the single game where it seemed he was a little reckless in some of his challenges and while injuries always make bad tackles look worse it seemed that he did not conduct himself to the high standard he has set for himself.

David's injury is absolutely terrible to hear about. I wish him the best in healing and hope that the injury doesn't carry any lasting effects other than a scar. Also, good luck to the CAK team in the rest of the season.

Game was very evenly matched with the refs somewhat ruining for coaches, players, and fans. About Brandon's first card, not only was it not a card, I didn't think it was even a foul. He was obviously airborne when the webb player swung for the ball and I dont know how you could card that. But it was a close game and I think the score was a fairly good reprsentation of the game (Although 2-2 or 3-3 but have been more fun)

QUOTE(FrankSnickers @ Apr 11 2007 - 08:43 PM) 826435313[/snapback]Game was very evenly matched with the refs somewhat ruining for coaches, players, and fans. About Brandon's first card, not only was it not a card, I didn't think it was even a foul. He was obviously airborne when the webb player swung for the ball and I dont know how you could card that. But it was a close game and I think the score was a fairly good reprsentation of the game (Although 2-2 or 3-3 but have been more fun)

Reffing is difficult to begin with, and at the high level of a game like this it is even more difficult, I know the refs are spread very thin, but this game should have had some established officials that could have allowed the game to be played in a manner it deserves. Not a knock on the officials that were there, b/c I didn't see it. We have some great refs in the area and they cannot do all the games, but maybe one of those is the center who controls the game and helps mentor the others on how games should be run.

QUOTE(akula21 @ Apr 11 2007 - 08:10 PM) 826435423[/snapback]Reffing is difficult to begin with, and at the high level of a game like this it is even more difficult, I know the refs are spread very thin, but this game should have had some established officials that could have allowed the game to be played in a manner it deserves. Not a knock on the officials that were there, b/c I didn't see it. We have some great refs in the area and they cannot do all the games, but maybe one of those is the center who controls the game and helps mentor the others on how games should be run.

I agree with this however one of the line judges was a referee during the basketball season that I had seen at some of the games, and frankly she looked completely cluesss out on the soccer field.