This years Oakland vs last years Riverdale

Winners Inc

QUOTE(magoo043 @ Apr 16 2007 - 10:53 PM) 826439106[/snapback]EASY!!!!!!!!!!

Tommy Smith...went on to play at the Peay!!!!!!!

next

I have to say this for all the Columbia people out there: We would have been in two state tournaments if it weren't for having the best high school team ever assembled in our region. Talk about bad luck. I was a Senior in 2000 and that team Columbia had was probably better than any team they have had since and we lost 13-3. The year before we lost 22-1 to Oakland in the Region Championship game. Any other year and we have a shot at winning the state touenament with the team we had in 2000. There will never be another run like that and I am just glad I was able to see it up close. Sorry, I just had to vent a little about my bad luck at never going to a state tournament.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(columbiaguy @ Apr 17 2007 - 07:42 AM) 826439235[/snapback]I have to say this for all the Columbia people out there: We would have been in two state tournaments if it weren't for having the best high school team ever assembled in our region. Talk about bad luck. I was a Senior in 2000 and that team Columbia had was probably better than any team they have had since and we lost 13-3. The year before we lost 22-1 to Oakland in the Region Championship game. Any other year and we have a shot at winning the state touenament with the team we had in 2000. There will never be another run like that and I am just glad I was able to see it up close. Sorry, I just had to vent a little about my bad luck at never going to a state tournament.

which is why i like the new playoff format...under the current format you would be abel to advacne even if you lose in the region championship game you just have to turn around and win on friday or saturday cant remember which day they play the sub state on but today you would still have a chance

QUOTE(magoo043 @ Apr 17 2007 - 08:59 AM) 826439255[/snapback]I do like the new playoff format, but I also think it is set up for teams with a deep pitching staff. More teams=more games. You cannot win with only one or two good pitchers.

Fellows, the current playoff system in Tennessee, to quote Jack Jolley, is TERRIBLE! You only need one great pitcher to get to the state tournament and then once you get there you suddenly need a whole pitching staff!

Take Smyrna with Sonny Gray. All Smyrna has to do is finish first or second in the district and then have Sonny pitch on a Monday and a Friday and they are in the Spring Fling. A terrible playoff format!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 17 2007 - 11:09 AM) 826439393[/snapback]Fellows, the current playoff system in Tennessee, to quote Jack Jolley, is TERRIBLE! You only need one great pitcher to get to the state tournament and then once you get there you suddenly need a whole pitching staff!

Take Smyrna with Sonny Gray. All Smyrna has to do is finish first or second in the district and then have Sonny pitch on a Monday and a Friday and they are in the Spring Fling. A terrible playoff format!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just quoted jack jolley...i'm sorry /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I don't have a huge problem with it. good points though.

go patriots

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 17 2007 - 10:09 AM) 826439393[/snapback]Fellows, the current playoff system in Tennessee, to quote Jack Jolley, is TERRIBLE! You only need one great pitcher to get to the state tournament and then once you get there you suddenly need a whole pitching staff!

well under the old format how many pitchers did u need to get there? Didnt lavergne win theres with 1 pitcher? i agree you need the one pitcher (although our number 1 pitcher hasever gotten the win in the substate game) to get there but you need 2 pitchers to stay in the "right "brakcet to stay away from other teams number 1

QUOTE(magoo043 @ Apr 16 2007 - 10:53 PM) 826439106[/snapback]EASY!!!!!!!!!!

Tommy Smith...went on to play at the Peay!!!!!!!

next

Magoo, you dont count when it comes to Oakland trivia because your a part of it, its like asking me about Oakland Basketball

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 17 2007 - 11:09 AM) 826439393[/snapback]Fellows, the current playoff system in Tennessee, to quote Jack Jolley, is TERRIBLE! You only need one great pitcher to get to the state tournament and then once you get there you suddenly need a whole pitching staff!

Sounds all good and dandy, but as you've said before, nothing is certain is baseball, yeah their chances are good, but they could run into a team that could face a pitcher on just the right night. Do you think baseball should follow basketball in terms of the tournament format?

The region format does benefit a team with one real good pitcher, but lets think. What do you have to do to get there? Come first or second in the district tournament. It takes 3 or so games to get to the district final, so it takes more than one dominant pitcher to get into region. I think the system now is great.