Sunday Tennessean - Front Page Article

BDURHAM

In the spirit of keeping as many threads as possible going

in this forum, here is a link to the front page article:

Tennessean Front Page Article - April 15

There are three related articles.

You can hit these articles in the right margin of the webpage.

There are bios on the lawyers in this section.

It is very interesting who is supporting the TSSAA.

Everyone from the NFHS and the NCAA.

Case has U.S. audience

Treating private sports groups as government bodies worries several organizations such as the National Collegiate Athletic Association. It filed legal briefs arguing that such a definition would allow courts to meddle in its affairs.

On Brentwood Academy's side are 22 women's rights groups, led by the National Women's Law Center.

How does BA feel about being on the other side of the NFHS

and the NCAA is this battle? 22 women’s groups siding with a

private, evangelical high school! Maybe Billie Jean King will

testify for BA.

I hope the Tennessean will cover the case in D.C.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFS and NCAA both support the TSSAA as they can see how the same ruling may apply to them ... basically nullifying there kingdoms. I don't blame them either. It will be interesting to see what the ruling is ... and if this is it or if they send it back to the appellate courts for even more tomfoolery.

QUOTE(StanTrott @ Apr 15 2007 - 05:32 PM) 826438056[/snapback]In the spirit of keeping as many threads as possible going

Case has U.S. audience

Treating private sports groups as government bodies worries several organizations such as the National Collegiate Athletic Association. It filed legal briefs arguing that such a definition would allow courts to meddle in its affairs.

On Brentwood Academy's side are 22 women's rights groups, led by the National Women's Law Center.

testify for BA.

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ Apr 16 2007 - 10:55 AM) 826438540[/snapback]Is there a scenario in which the Supreme Court doesn't really declare a "winner" but basically says to the parties "go back home and work this out among yourselves?" Is that even possible?

There are a couple of options as explained to me by an attorney friend. The first is that they could just flat out issue a ruling one way or the other. The second could be that they rule a procedural error or ruling occurred in an appellate court - meaning they could issue a guideline ruling asking the appellate court to re-hear the case and rule again (which is why we've had this 10 year cycle of lawsuits now). Or your scenario, they could rule and ask the groups to work out their differences through mediation ... which is VERY highly unlikely with the case reaching the SC.

Stan,

I am interested. Why do you call BA "a private, evangelical high school"? I am NOT trying to argue with you. I am just interested.

I too thought it was interesting which groups have supported either the BA side or the TSSAA side. This suit has resulted in some interesting bedfellows.

My one hope the Court does send this case back down an appellate court again.

Bighurt,

My impression is that BA would consider themselves evangelical,

as do most of the students/families who support the school.

There are different descriptions, for lack of a better word, used

by Christians to identify themselves. In my experience, evangelicals

use the term to describe themselves.

Evangelical groups are not known to support broad-based women

rights groups. I found it interesting that the twist and turns of the

BA lawsuit brought these two groups together.

I do not think we would see BA supporting a lawsuit spearheaded

by 26 women's groups. Moreover, it would probably be just the

opposite. In reality, the TSSAA has more to do with women's

rights than BA, but the law creates strange bedfellows.

Remove the term "evangelical" and the union is not necessarily

unusual -- on the surface. I used the term to underscore the

weird alliance.

QUOTE(Bighurt @ Apr 16 2007 - 12:44 PM) 826438676[/snapback]Stan,

I am interested. Why do you call BA "a private, evangelical high school"? I am NOT trying to argue with you. I am just interested.

I too thought it was interesting which groups have supported either the BA side or the TSSAA side. This suit has resulted in some interesting bedfellows.

My one hope the Court does send this case back down an appellate court again.

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ Apr 16 2007 - 10:04 PM) 826439043[/snapback]I always thought BA was a prep school, not a religious one. Am I wrong? It happens more frequently every day it seems...

The following is from their website.

About Our Program

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Brentwood Academy believes that spiritual growth is fundamental to the broader development of each member of the Brentwood Academy family. However, the school is not under the direction, influence, or support of any particular church, and the Brentwood Academy family represents various denominations and beliefs. Spiritual life at Brentwood Academy involves the classroom, the playing field, and the halls everyday in addition to the programs and classes that are available.

Fundamental to the development of this type of atmosphere are the Christian values presented by the character and conduct of the headmaster, the faculty, and the leadership of the school. While the religious beliefs of each individual will be respected, the school will continuously seek to encourage a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Each student must take required Bible classes and attend devotionals. We encourage voluntary participation in other spiritual activities such as Bible studies and retreats. "

QUOTE(StanTrott @ Apr 15 2007 - 04:32 PM) 826438056[/snapback]In the spirit of keeping as many threads as possible going

Case has U.S. audience

testify for BA.

And speaking of Billie Jean King, her last sponsor was Snap-on-Tool.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Apr 17 2007 - 10:32 AM) 826439350[/snapback]I have heard that if BA wins there will be a public private split, then I hear if is TSSAA who wins there will be a public private split. Will someone clear it up so I know who to cheer for.

Just some questions for both sides that would help if we knew the answers too...

For the TSSAA...

Does the TSSAA consider all privates just like BA??

Would the TSSAA be happy just sending a message with a W in the courts to all other private schools about trying to cheat and then sueing about it??

Big Questions for TSSAA

How far can the TSSAA legally go to try and remove the private schools??? The state of tennessee can only sponser ONE high schools sports assosiation that i know of. It is possible for others to exist that are not sanctioned by the state, but all teams in these decided to not be in the TSSAA. Could a state institution deny the right to join of any school that wanted to, public or private??

For BA....

Would BA want to "punish" TSSAA for the lengthy court battle??

Would BA just be happy to prove the TSSAA wrong on the matter??

Big Question for BA

How much power could they actually get?? assuming that BA wants to do as much damage as possible, how much power could they even possibly get. Could it legally happen that BA can change the multiplier, or classifications, leaders of the TSSAA. Possibly even change the TSSAA headquarters to 4001 Harding Road.... /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />