State-Wide STATS AAA AA/A D2

mjuhb

QUOTE(jr#16 @ Apr 18 2007 - 12:37 PM) 826440353[/snapback]very true and also who those teams have played and had shutouts against.

Agreed. Goalies tend to get stats, etc for well deserved hard fought games such as saves and shutouts. But goalies has get the stat for shut out when they maybe only touch the ball a couple of times a game. Much of the time the defense keeps the ball away and does such a great job that the goalie gets a shutout. Great for the team outcome and the goalie stats but can be misleading.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bluelion @ Apr 18 2007 - 12:52 PM) 826440373[/snapback]Agreed. Goalies tend to get stats, etc for well deserved hard fought games such as saves and shutouts. But goalies has get the stat for shut out when they maybe only touch the ball a couple of times a game. Much of the time the defense keeps the ball away and does such a great job that the goalie gets a shutout. Great for the team outcome and the goalie stats but can be misleading.

I agree that the stats can be misleading. Same reason I hate W/L/S stats in baseball for pitchers. There is no doubt that the back line often saves the keeper's bacon. That said though, if a keeper is doing his job in communicating and directing his defense, he/she should not touch the ball more than one or two times per game. There is also not a readily available stat on the number of free kicks or throw-ins that a team gives up in the defending third. About the only measure is # of corners. I have always argued that the ratio between throw-ins to corners in the defending third is the best measure of defense. (aside from the final score).

Heard of a keeper that had phenominal save numbers and decided to go see her play. She was a fairly impressive keeper. did a good job of directing her defense, setting up an attack etc, but I realized that they were recording everytime she picked up the ball /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> or intercepted a cross /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> as a shot on goal therefore a save /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> . You have to be careful in evaluating those save stats. Especially what a coach or designated party reports to the local papers.

GAA is by far the best stat to evaluate. My recommendation would be a minimum of 40% of minutes played. That way a good keeper is not penalized for being pulled early against weaker teams.

QUOTE(bluelion @ Apr 18 2007 - 11:16 AM) 826440331[/snapback]I know alot of goalies have alot of shutouts. Alot of it is because their defense is so strong it does not always get to the goalie. I wish there was a way to give the defenders credit for their work. Anyway,

I think it is interesting to see how many goals the goalie has allowed also. For instance the CCS goalie has 6 shutouts but has allowed 9 goals on the season so far.

Correction--- he has given up eight goals and five of those were against the #3 team in Georgia in A/AA so really you can say that he has given up three goals in nine games. They have already played the likes of CSAS and Notre Dame which are both strong teams.

QUOTE(CCSMAN @ Apr 18 2007 - 06:21 PM) 826440567[/snapback]Correction--- he has given up eight goals and five of those were against the #3 team in Georgia in A/AA so really you can say that he has given up three goals in nine games. They have already played the likes of CSAS and Notre Dame which are both strong teams.

I got the goal total from the schedule listed here....added up to 9 goals. But looking again someone listed the results for one game twice. I am sure that the team from GA is very good....but still 5 goals were given up in that game. So sorry that is not how it works when you say he really have given up 3 goals in 9 games. ALL games count. You can't pick and choose to not count one because they are supposed to be good. With that kind of thinking maybe you should not be allowed to count a shutout if the team is weak....whatever.

QUOTE(soccerplayr @ Apr 18 2007 - 08:09 PM) 826440705[/snapback]Chris Penn- CSAS has only allowed 3 goals one off an awful offside call the other two had the whole Defense subbed in with JV player which allowed a brake away. and hes had 1 goal. I mean hes basically the best keeper ever.

Who have they played? They have the weakiest schedule of any of the top ranked schools. They don't play Notre Dame

and they don't play any tournaments where they can meet some stiff competition.

QUOTE(Law-Five @ Apr 19 2007 - 12:37 PM) 826441184[/snapback]The majority of the CSAS schedule is against district teams which they are required to play (8 games total). The non-district teams include CCS, Ooltewah and Red Bank with remaining games against Baylor and Knox Webb.

I understand what you are saying with so many district games to play but I just wondered why CSAS doesn't play any tournaments or any out of state teams becuase when you do that you are going to have your hands full therefore

you are going to give up more goals because of the tougher competition. This weekend CCS will play Knox Catholic which

is the top A/AA team in the state, now that will put you on the spot but to try and be the best you have play those kind

of teams.

CSAS's schedule is not that bad. Knox Webb is a good team. So is Baylor. Red Bank's record doesn't look good, but after seeing them play, it won't be a show up and win game. Ooltewah is a decent team also, as they played good against Hendersonville and Gallatin in the tournament this past weekend only losing by one goal to both. No they don't have any out of state teams, but there non-district schedule is pretty solid.

QUOTE(CCSMAN @ Apr 19 2007 - 02:34 PM) 826441263[/snapback]I understand what you are saying with so many district games to play but I just wondered why CSAS doesn't play any tournaments or any out of state teams becuase when you do that you are going to have your hands full therefore

you are going to give up more goals because of the tougher competition. This weekend CCS will play Knox Catholic which

is the top A/AA team in the state, now that will put you on the spot but to try and be the best you have play those kind

of teams.

CSAS has historically not taken place in tournaments. Like I said earlier none of the goals scored were really spectacular goals. Regardless of this years games CSAS has played well for the last 5 years and there are many players who should be looked at.