Which sport got banged the most?

davidlimbaugh

QUOTE(coacht @ Apr 22 2007 - 07:48 PM) 826443004[/snapback]David- isn't 8 months a year enough? You have 10 weeks January - March to get ready for the season and then play until August. I loved baseball, turned down a contract with the Pirates when I was 15 because in those days it made you a pro in all sports, but I don't think I could have played the game 12 months a year with any intensity.

For those of us that are trying to get our kids ready to play college ball and have invested in facilities to do that, NO THAT IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(coacht @ Apr 22 2007 - 06:48 PM) 826443004[/snapback]David- isn't 8 months a year enough? You have 10 weeks January - March to get ready for the season and then play until August. I loved baseball, turned down a contract with the Pirates when I was 15 because in those days it made you a pro in all sports, but I don't think I could have played the game 12 months a year with any intensity.

O.K. coacht i understand the thought of being YEAR ROUND seems like a lot but as i have stated on here before what are the kids going to do with that much more spare time...they are not going to stay home none of did when we were that age..how much to they really work maybe 1-2 hours a day? If they have 6th period baseball or whatever sport...they are done by 4:00 or 5:00 at the latest...if my son is willing to do the EXTRA WORK on their own then what is the harm in that? coaches dont make them stay that late during the off season most of that is purley up to the kids ...like i have said before i KNOW MY son wont be playing in college i know he is not that good of a bseball player but the only reason he is on the feild was because he worked his butt off and put forth a strong work ethic that he didnt have to go to HARDEES to develop he did it by playing ahigh school sport that he wont EVER get to do again because a majority of the kids that play high school sports WILL NOT play past high school

Well once again, the people who have kids that are not near as good as the kids who work at baseball win again. This is the stupidest rule I have ever heard due to the fact a player should be allowed to TRY and get better whenever he/she wants to. I play college baseball now and if I didn't work more than the other guy, I would be workin at Mcdonald's instead of getttin my education paid for through baseball. No arguments about that cuz it is the TRUTH!!!!!!!! Parents that act like it is a job(baseball) need to take their kid to play golf, a fair weather sport that is "all for fun". Go hard or go home!!!!

It's not like no one has ever told kids that when facilities are closed you can't play baseball.

What about sandlot games at the park? If the players want to play baseball no one is stopping them to play baseball. What the TSSAA has done is said to your coaching staff is you are not going to make a requirement of that athlete to play baseball year round.

Same with other sports... Football coaches have ranted about not being able to do anything in June. There is nothing to say a group of athletes can't get together and hold their own 7-on-7 workouts.

If kids want to do these sports year round they will.

QUOTE(putboobieincoach @ Apr 23 2007 - 08:06 AM) 826443274[/snapback]this is just stupid!!! did you see the open facility days for baseball compared to the rest of the sports??? this is crazy!!! it isnt fair at all!!!

The kids and coaches that want to work at it are going to work at it anyway. The good coaches are not going to tell a kid who wants to hit or work on his game in general that they cannot do that. These rules they have imposed cannot possibly be inforced. Are they going to go to each and every school and make sure. These are ridiculous rules. If I want to hit for 365 days I will and the state cannot stop me.

I was reading an article from the Daily News Journal in Murfreesboro that is on tbca.org this morning about the rule changes brought on by the TSSAA. It is sick. I heard football caoches say they were getting hurt by the new rule but doing a little math will tell otherwise. Baseball has 113 days of NO OPEN FACILITIES & NO PRACTICE. Football and Basketball have only 21 days of NO OPEN FACILITIES & NO PRACTICE. Uh...........That is a difference of 92 days. Baseball now will have only 41 days of open facilities.............football will have 196..................basketball will have 110. How do small schools supposed to teach the game to their kids? The quality of play is on a major decline. It may run the small schools out of being able to be competitive, but I hope that kid gets to go to the mall a 113 extra days or has 113 extra chances to kiss a girl. As a society that is what is the problem with our children. This is why teenage crime, pregnancy, and troubled youth are on the rise. We don't want our children to be involved in groups or clubs. Kids need to be involved in instruction or supervision year-around. I don't care if it is drama, baseball, or the band. I know what TSSAA says........"There are coaches out there that make kids work 365 days." Then TSSAA should handle those people. Taking something away from kids is crazy. Telling a kid that likes baseball or softball that they can't hit on their own during the month of October in a school facility is wrong. Maybe that is something the Supreme Court should look into. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

QUOTE(worthyone @ Apr 23 2007 - 09:19 AM) 826443283[/snapback]It's not like no one has ever told kids that when facilities are closed you can't play baseball.

What about sandlot games at the park? If the players want to play baseball no one is stopping them to play baseball. What the TSSAA has done is said to your coaching staff is you are not going to make a requirement of that athlete to play baseball year round.

Same with other sports... Football coaches have ranted about not being able to do anything in June. There is nothing to say a group of athletes can't get together and hold their own 7-on-7 workouts.

I think that it is more of a question of the facilities being open and being able to use them. I know at my kids school, that the school did not give any money to open the facilities. The parents have worked hundreds of hours to raise money for our kids to use these facilities, and now someone who has not talked with the people that are using them have made a decision to stop us from using something that we built.

As far as fall ball goes my kids play and played at Riverdale and I do not remember when either the baseball or softball coach made it mandatory to play fall ball. The kids who want to play footbal play football. The ones who want to play volleyball or basketball play those as well. Now, however the ones who want to play baseball/softball have been told go find someplace else to play. Sometimes, fall ball is the only place where a marginal player can get noticed by the coach, or get in the extra practice that they want. When a kid wants to get better the adults should not take away that opportunity from them.

QUOTE(coacht @ Apr 22 2007 - 07:48 PM) 826443004[/snapback]David- isn't 8 months a year enough? You have 10 weeks January - March to get ready for the season and then play until August. I loved baseball, turned down a contract with the Pirates when I was 15 because in those days it made you a pro in all sports, but I don't think I could have played the game 12 months a year with any intensity.

Good question - The problem is the limited scrimmages in March - like I was telling a basketball fan the other day - in football the QB plays everyday - in basketball the point guard plays every game - in baseball the pitcher can only play every 4th or 5th day. HUGE difference. So you will have teams playing their first district game with a pitcher that has pitched in two or at the most three live games before that start....

And at Riverdale we didn't play 12 months out of the year - just 9 - we took November December and January off

And someone is forgetting another group of folks this hurts - umpires. They need those scrimmages and the fall season to get young ones up and running and the veterans some practice as well....

Personally I think summer AAU basketball hurts potentially good baseball players as much as anything and I agree about the short amount of time for pitchers to get ready before the season starts in March. They need several bullpens and some live work to get ready or risk injury. I think those that want to work will get around the open facility rule. They'll go to the private instructors and there will be private facilities open up if there is a demand. Those that are hurt the most are the small, rural communities that don't have facilities outside of the school's to work on pitching and hitting in the winter months.

QUOTE(worthyone @ Apr 23 2007 - 09:19 AM) 826443283[/snapback]It's not like no one has ever told kids that when facilities are closed you can't play baseball.

I am sure they will get a lot better coaching themselves or work out just as hard without the coach watching them.

Isn't 11 months long enough for foootball? You don't HAVE to work out year round and I would say that most kids don't, but why would you take away something from a kid that doesn't have the money to go a gym or private instructor every week? Does the TSSAA have the money to give to the kids that are not privileged enough to pay somebody?

Has anybody got any suggestions on what to do about it? Can we start a petition, are the TSSAA leaders voted on? Let's stop complaining and try to do something about it.