Which sport got banged the most?

davidlimbaugh

QUOTE(coacht @ Apr 24 2007 - 09:21 AM) 826444040[/snapback]Because baseball continues from the high school season through the summer when school is out whereas following the football season is 7 more months of school.

This answer puzzles me. A team that goes 0-10 in football finishes play the last week of Octber, so they have Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, and May left in school. Many schools have a two week spring practice in May, so knock off May from the list. If your team makes the playoffs, they play through November, so knock that month off. You are down to 5 months.

Now look at baseball. Summer leagues finish in July. You have Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb until you start. That looks like 7 months as well during the school year. The difference is this: Football waits three weeks to start weights, then can open the facilities to condition. Baseball can not open a facility until January to condition.

Lets get into this a little more. How many schools have a class dedicated to lifting weights? If you were to look at these classes, I would bet you that at least if not more then 90% of the students in these classes are football players and the class is taught by a football coach or one of the assistants who is instructed to do football wieght lifting which hurts the other sports. How many football teams do 7 on 7 passing leagues during the summer? This is time the put in but baseball is not allowed to do this in the fall, which is their offseason.

Many people on this topic have mentioned building that were paid for by parents and fundrasing that the kids want to use to hit and throw. One thing we forget about these facilties we work so hard to build is the reason we have to get them built. We asked to put an indoor cage in our gym that we could raise and lower and were told no. We can;t get in the weight room because the football teams are always working out when their season is over. We have built these building out of necessity to have a place to work in most cases. We can say what we want, but this is true for most of us.

Is baseball really that much harder on your body then football? Football players take a pounding when they play and practice. If we were worried about the health of our kids, we would limit football more then anything due the violent nature of football. Most kids are so banged up from football season that they never recover fully because they are constantly working out or practicing.

Traveling to high school baseball game sthis year, i lost count of the number of schools i go past that have kids on the football field doing drills and running plays. Is this not against the rules, or does no one care. But noe one cares because it is football and they need 100+ more days to wear out these kids so they can't play anything else.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately Mr. Tribue has forgotten that the school where he is the principal is best known for what sport --- baseball. Mel Brown put McGavock on the map in athletics. For him to say that any sport takes more heart to play than the other is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard come out of such a smart man's mouth.

These new rules are designed so that they help a couple of people....football coaches who have run kids off from

their sport and lazy people who don't believe in working with their kids to help give them the best

chance they can have to compete at the highest level of baseball they can get to without having to go a

hitting school or hiring private lessons. While AAU basketball was 'supposedly' a target of the %50 rule it has not been touched. Soccer somehow got a free pass as well. There is a sport where kids quit basketball and football for all the time because they are told that they have to travel all over the country to get a scholarship so they can end up playing at a local university on an academic scholarship. The T$$AA seems to be under the false impression that Tennessee

is a football state. How many football teams from this state are playing on National stages like

Vanderbilt Baseball, Tennessee Baseball, Cumberland Baseball, Walters State Baseball, Farragut Baseball, Oakland Baseball

Women's Basketball, Men's Basketball etc. You can put Tennessee High School baseball up against any state in

the United States with our kids. You can probably put Tennessee right behind California, Florida, Texas and

about even with Georgia when it comes to prospects and turning out successfull college and pro players. You talk to any high school baseball player and they will tell you that they love playing in the fall. It is a great time of year for the kids, parents and everyone involved. It is an even better time of year for college coaches to come out and see kids that they would never get a chance to see. These same kids will also tell you that if they wanted to be playing another sport they would be playing golf, soccer, football etc. These are kids who love playing, who love playing with each other and love getting better at the greatest game ever invented. The do not feel pressured, they do not feel tired, they LOVE THE GAME. If they wanted to play other sports they would and many do. They do not want to get together with five people from their arch rival school and play in the fall, they want to play with each other. We can only hope that baseball coaches voices will be heard at the next December meeting and these rules will only be in place for one year. I would be willing to bet that if Ronnie Carter would get out of his little box in Nashville and go meet with baseball coaches in this state he would understand why people are so upset. It is sad to see a sport that has garnered so much respect all over the nation for a state being disrespected by an organization that has reaped the benefits of the hard work of players and coaches.

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 24 2007 - 10:44 AM) 826444102[/snapback]One reason baseball got banged the most?

"

College lure hurts sports

Well, my son played 4 years of high school baseball and he (and I) knew he had no chance of playing college ball but he loved every minute of it...

Oh boy, do I agree with Bill Curry on this! Mine is a 3 sport athlete through middle school. I'm encouraging him to play everything he can at the high school level. You only have the high school experience for those 4 years. When baseball season is over, he puts the bat and glove away for awhile. He played in around 75 baseball games last year from March through September, went to football and then on to basketball and picked up his glove again in February. He's athletic. He can help all 3 teams. Why not afford them that opportunity? Why do they have to specialize if they can play multiple sports?

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Apr 24 2007 - 10:49 AM) 826444152[/snapback]Oh boy, do I agree with Bill Curry on this! Mine is a 3 sport athlete through middle school. I'm encouraging him to play everything he can at the high school level. You only have the high school experience for those 4 years. When baseball season is over, he puts the bat and glove away for awhile. He played in around 75 baseball games last year from March through September, went to football and then on to basketball and picked up his glove again in February. He's athletic. He can help all 3 teams. Why not afford them that opportunity? Why do they have to specialize if they can play multiple sports?

i agree 100% if the child wants to play all three sports or 2 sports LET THEM...they are only in hgih school once enjoy it if you WANT to play then play...coaches that dont like kids playing more than 1 sport are still gonna want those kids playing their sport only no matter what the TSSAA rules are and coaches that dont care are still not gonna care these rules wont change a coaches feeling

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Apr 24 2007 - 11:49 AM) 826444152[/snapback]Oh boy, do I agree with Bill Curry on this! Mine is a 3 sport athlete through middle school. I'm encouraging him to play everything he can at the high school level. You only have the high school experience for those 4 years. When baseball season is over, he puts the bat and glove away for awhile. He played in around 75 baseball games last year from March through September, went to football and then on to basketball and picked up his glove again in February. He's athletic. He can help all 3 teams. Why not afford them that opportunity? Why do they have to specialize if they can play multiple sports?

Your child sounds like a great athlete, this rule didn't and won't hurt him....it will hurt the kids who are not the great athletes, the ones who already have to work harder than the rest just to get a chance. I'm all for playing multiple sports, I did it when I was in school; my child however is not any good at basketball for example so once football is over he is "free" so to speak. I will have to get him help, as much as I can afford, he's already behind as it is, so he can have a chance to compete in baseball...we couldn't afford the travel team route; which accounts for why he is so behind other players in his grade. This rule just made it even tougher.

I sure would like to know what family missed out on their vacation to bring all of this about.

QUOTE(coacht @ Apr 24 2007 - 06:41 PM) 826444353[/snapback]How many players are going to play in the fall using the 50% rule?

I think a lot of players will still play this fall in some fashion. You will still see Farragut have their intersquad series, you will have some teams divide up, some schools far away from Nashville will flat out cheat because they don't have to worry about people turning them in or checking on them. AND what I think you will see the most of especially around the west TN and middle TN area is an enormus number of kids going to play in high school fall leagues run by colleges. These can be a joke for the most part as it forces a kid/parents to spend around $200 to play one or two nights a week under the guise of getting "instructed" by college coaching staffs who are basically using the fall leagues to put money in their assistant coaches pockets. These guys should write a big "thank you" note to TSSAA.

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Apr 23 2007 - 11:15 AM) 826443377[/snapback]Personally I think summer AAU basketball hurts potentially good baseball players as much as anything and I agree about the short amount of time for pitchers to get ready before the season starts in March. They need several bullpens and some live work to get ready or risk injury. I think those that want to work will get around the open facility rule. They'll go to the private instructors and there will be private facilities open up if there is a demand. Those that are hurt the most are the small, rural communities that don't have facilities outside of the school's to work on pitching and hitting in the winter months.

You might be onto something here. Most schools have booster clubs or such that bring in the money to build these fieldhouses and weightrooms. Now they will just build them on private property and the school will be out of luck.

And for me its not so much what the TSSAA is trying to do, its the huge difference in days between baseball/softball and the other two major sports. Who was the great math genius who thought this was fair.

QUOTE(NEWSTANG @ Apr 23 2007 - 11:13 PM) 826443917[/snapback]But what I am saying is not every player is a pitcher. There are 8 other guys that need to be working on 1st and 3rd situations, hitting behind the runner, bunt coverages,etc. My son does pitch and is a position player. I make sure he does not get overworked myself, whether it is our summer league team or his high school coach (which is fantastic about not overworking his pitchers). I just hate to see the facilities taken away from the kids that will use them for their benefit and their teams benefit.

And when I mentioned football earlier it was to compare the amount of time, not to knock football cause I love it. But every year we have to be without a few of our better players for a couple of weeks right before the season starts because of spring football. How many football coaches would let 4 or 5 of their best players play in a fall baseball league 2 weeks before their season started? None!!! But we as baseball coaches are expected to turn over our baseball players right before the season starts just because it is football. Somebody please explain that one to me!

Actually fall baseball is probably right in the middle of football season so football players shouldn't be playing fall baseball and did you say you have baseball players who actually do spring football? Our school is class A and we usually have to wait for some of the basketball players to get back, but I could never see our baseball players doing spring football.

QUOTE(Vultor @ Apr 25 2007 - 12:47 AM) 826444744[/snapback]Actually fall baseball is probably right in the middle of football season so football players shouldn't be playing fall baseball and did you say you have baseball players who actually do spring football? Our school is class A and we usually have to wait for some of the basketball players to get back, but I could never see our baseball players doing spring football.

My son plays for a single A team and they were missing baseball players the week before the season started because of "spring football" in February. I have coached at 2 different schools the past 2 years and the same thing has happened to them. At my sons school they were going to football practice and then coming to baseball. I know they are not the only school that does this. These are the overworking issues that the T$$AA needs to be looking into instead of not letting teammates play fall ball together. I was using the fall ball as an example the week before football starts. How many football coaches do you think would let their football players practice and play baseball scrimmage games the two weeks prior to their season getting started? But we are supposed to just lay down and take it when the football coaches want our baseball kids for two weeks before baseball starts. When did it turn into "middle of winter football practice" instead of "spring football practice"?

QUOTE(haywood @ Apr 24 2007 - 10:53 PM) 826444666[/snapback]I think a lot of players will still play this fall in some fashion. You will still see Farragut have their intersquad series, you will have some teams divide up, some schools far away from Nashville will flat out cheat because they don't have to worry about people turning them in or checking on them. AND what I think you will see the most of especially around the west TN and middle TN area is an enormus number of kids going to play in high school fall leagues run by colleges. These can be a joke for the most part as it forces a kid/parents to spend around $200 to play one or two nights a week under the guise of getting "instructed" by college coaching staffs who are basically using the fall leagues to put money in their assistant coaches pockets. These guys should write a big "thank you" note to TSSAA.

I agree with this. There will just be private fall leagues or school co-oping with one another to play fall ball. It'll be Club K for baseball on privately owned fields or AAU baseball. The high school coaches or the parents will find fall teams for their kids to play on and there'll be fall tournaments and scrimmages just like spring and summer basketball.

There are no summer leagues in football, no AAU, or other facilities. Football doesn't get punished for the first time and people are crying foul. Baseball and basketball never seem to stop. Football lifts and conditions but do not practice near as much as the other two. football was getting punished for the wrongs of other sports. football also maked the money in this state. Tennessee is a football state. The Vols usually are not half bad and MTSU is building a quality program. The Division IAA National title game is played in Chattanooga. This is a football state.