Why does everybody accept TSSAA rules

LadyEaglesFan

QUOTE(softballscout @ Apr 23 2007 - 06:58 AM) 826443220[/snapback]This has more truth then most pe /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ople realize. You might see a local college coach at the state tourny, if your daughter wants to get prepared for college she must travel and play against the top talent in the nation. My daughter has yet to have college coach say "hey we saw you in the cane ridge fall league". Get your team qualified for the rising stars tourny in florida in October. Great fall tournament and plenty of colleges. Tssaa is in a world of thier own, this is why Alabama and Georgia are getting better and we keep falling behind

AGREE!!!!! Good Reply! WAKE UP SOFTBALL WORLD. Count your blessings that TSSAA did something right this

time for the wrong reason....In other words their decision just helped your daughter for What Her goal is...a

College Education with a little more softball life. I am sure TSSAA will take the credit but I know that they didn't make this decision for your daughters sake. They were tired of all of the complaints with the unofficial Fall league and HS coaches coaching when they weren't suppose to.

JMO

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(uncfan09 @ Apr 23 2007 - 06:50 AM) 826443213[/snapback]The new rules dealing with the sports calendar were talked about in rules meetings across the state. Every coach had an opportunity to contact their respective legislative council member. I know for a fact in middle Tenn. the council members were contacted by softball coaches. The council member that represents my area, Rick Martin, voted the way his coaches in the area wanted. There were other council members that voted the way that Ronnie Carter and his crew wanted the vote to go. The state association continues to put out their propaganda that they are for the betterment of the athlete and coaches. I do not see that as the case. The MTSCA did a pole of members and the majority wanted the sports calendar to stay the same. I am also sick of people saying why do we let this go on. If you appeal anything with TSSAA it is a joke. Mr. Carter can rule on any situation that he wants and there is nothing a school or individual can do about it. Each school signs a form stating that they will abide by all rules set forth by the legislative council and Mr. Carter. This is a catch all phrase. Until there is another option other than TSSAA for schools to play, TSSAA will continue to do whatever they want and there is nothing any school can do about it. I ready to see a TSSAA financial report and see what our director makes and for how long he is going to stay in his post. In my opinion he must be like a supreme court justice and have his appointment for life.

AGREE AGREE !!

QUOTE(stlbrd @ Apr 22 2007 - 10:05 PM) 826443146[/snapback]Play travel ball. Plenty of college exposure tournaments in the fall. I doubt you ever saw a college coach at a high school "fall league" game.

Just for the record I have seen D-1 colleges and college scouts at (high school) fall ball. It is just about the only free time they have besides the summer to see the girls with their own eyes. If you get letters from colleges they want to know your summer,fall,and high school schedules, and which major exposure tournaments summer & fall that your attend.

QUOTE(LadyEaglesFan @ Apr 22 2007 - 06:52 PM) 826442981[/snapback]Its amazing how the TSSAA can make up rules which hurt the opportunities of young athletes who are trying to get a college scholarship. With the new rules just handed down High School fall leagues have been eliminated. Athletes who are going to try and get a college scholarship have just lost valuable time in practicing their skills. I'm sure the TSSAA will say that these athletes need the time off. I don't think that fall ball is mandatory with most programs. Most girls play in the fall because they enjoy the game. What are these players going to do now that they don't have high school fall leagues. I can't believe that we who support high school sports just stand around and let the TSSAA leadership dictate such rule changes without a fight. I would like to know your comments.

I am of the opinion that school ball is just something to do until summer ball starts. Most of your scholarships in softball are awarded from the girls preformance during the summer anyway.

QUOTE(DTT @ Apr 23 2007 - 11:43 AM) 826443400[/snapback]Just for the record I have seen D-1 colleges and college scouts at (high school) fall ball. It is just about the only free time they have besides the summer to see the girls with their own eyes. If you get letters from colleges they want to know your summer,fall,and high school schedules, and which major exposure tournaments summer & fall that your attend.

Oh yeah, they swarm the place.

QUOTE(DTT @ Apr 23 2007 - 11:43 AM) 826443400[/snapback]Just for the record I have seen D-1 colleges and college scouts at (high school) fall ball. It is just about the only free time they have besides the summer to see the girls with their own eyes. If you get letters from colleges they want to know your summer,fall,and high school schedules, and which major exposure tournaments summer & fall that your attend.

Give me a BREAK............. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

HIGH SCHOOL FALL BALL IS WASTE OF TIME FOR MOST PROGRAMS. THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD EVEN CONSIDER DOING THIS IS IF YOUR TEAM GRADUATED HALF THEIR STARTERS AND THE COACH NEEDS TO SEE WHO CAN STEP UP NEXT YEAR. AT LEAST IN THE NASHVILLE AREA THE FALL LEAGUES. THE COLLEGE COACHES KNOW THIS AND WILL NOT WASTE THEIR TIME AT THESE LEAGUES. NOW THERE ARE SOME FALL TOURNIES THAT ARE PUT ON THAT HIGH SCHOOLS CAN PLAY AGAINST SOME TRAVEL TEAMS THAT WILL HELP THEM, AND YES SOME LOCAL COLLEGE COACHES COME OUT TO SEE THESE.

IN THE SPRING I HAVE SEEN THE WEEKLYS AT THE KNOXVILLE TOURNY, AUSTIN PEAY, VOL STATE, EAST TENNESSEE I HAVE SEEN AT THE DRAKES CREEK TOURNY.

OLD ARGUMENT IS THAT TSSAA NEEDS TO HAVE SOFTBALL IN THE FALL AND MOVE VOLLEYBALL TO THE SPRING, THAT WAY PLAYERS HAVE THE TIME TO BE GAME READY BY PLAYING ON A TRAVEL TEAM IN THE SPRING AND SUMMER, AND CAN MOVE RIGHT INTO HIGH SCHOOL BALL, NOT BATTLING BASKETBALL FOR GYM SPACE WHEN IT IS 30 DEGREES OUT AND RAINING.

THEN OTHERS ARGUE WE ARE ENCOURAGING YEAR ROUND ONE SPORT MENTALITY. WELL BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT IS HERE ALREADY, WE ARE JUST LATE IN THE GAME. EVER WONDER WHY CALIFORNIA HAS ALWAYS DOMINATED IN SOFTBALL, STILL DOES IN TRAVEL.

Granted that there are ample fall leagues in the major metropolis areas including some small cities with a population of around 30,000 plus but not even those in some cases. The smaller areas and towns thrive on their high school and middle school fall leagues. They are the ones left out here. Most people in the small towns can't afford to run thirty to sixty miles away to a city with ample fall teams and make their games, much less their practices. Again, as in many judgements made by the TSSAA, they leave the little guy out. My advice is to move closer to a town that has a competitive fall league because nobody else cares about you, the little people.

Decisions are always made about the money. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

QUOTE(softballscout @ Apr 24 2007 - 07:25 AM) 826444010[/snapback]HIGH SCHOOL FALL BALL IS WASTE OF TIME FOR MOST PROGRAMS. THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD EVEN CONSIDER DOING THIS IS IF YOUR TEAM GRADUATED HALF THEIR STARTERS AND THE COACH NEEDS TO SEE WHO CAN STEP UP NEXT YEAR. AT LEAST IN THE NASHVILLE AREA THE FALL LEAGUES. THE COLLEGE COACHES KNOW THIS AND WILL NOT WASTE THEIR TIME AT THESE LEAGUES. NOW THERE ARE SOME FALL TOURNIES THAT ARE PUT ON THAT HIGH SCHOOLS CAN PLAY AGAINST SOME TRAVEL TEAMS THAT WILL HELP THEM, AND YES SOME LOCAL COLLEGE COACHES COME OUT TO SEE THESE.

IN THE SPRING I HAVE SEEN THE WEEKLYS AT THE KNOXVILLE TOURNY, AUSTIN PEAY, VOL STATE, EAST TENNESSEE I HAVE SEEN AT THE DRAKES CREEK TOURNY.

OLD ARGUMENT IS THAT TSSAA NEEDS TO HAVE SOFTBALL IN THE FALL AND MOVE VOLLEYBALL TO THE SPRING, THAT WAY PLAYERS HAVE THE TIME TO BE GAME READY BY PLAYING ON A TRAVEL TEAM IN THE SPRING AND SUMMER, AND CAN MOVE RIGHT INTO HIGH SCHOOL BALL, NOT BATTLING BASKETBALL FOR GYM SPACE WHEN IT IS 30 DEGREES OUT AND RAINING.

THEN OTHERS ARGUE WE ARE ENCOURAGING YEAR ROUND ONE SPORT MENTALITY. WELL BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT IS HERE ALREADY, WE ARE JUST LATE IN THE GAME. EVER WONDER WHY CALIFORNIA HAS ALWAYS DOMINATED IN SOFTBALL, STILL DOES IN TRAVEL.

Moving high school ball to the fall makes too much sense for the T$$AA to do it. It would take care of their pre-season problem and help to eliminate excessive games, but it's too easy of a decision. They want to invent some ridiculous rule and word it so no one can understand it. Play high school in the fall and let the girls play travel ball in the summer for more than just a few tournaments. Georgia does it and I don't hear anyone complaining down there! TRY MAKING A RULE CHANGE THAT MAKES SENSE! WE ARE GETTING TIRED OF PLAYING IN THE SNOW!!!! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

ERA makes some good points. The small communities suffer as does the HS coaches/programs who support and encourage player skill development outside of the "official" TSSAA season.

Maybe we will not have to be concerned about this issue (and other silly anti-human rights rules) as a Supreme Court decision in BA's favor will bankrupt TSSAA. One has to wonder how the suit got so far along. Common sense should have taken over at some point. I guess it doesn't matter when egos are large and you're jeopardizing someone else's money.

QUOTE(ERA @ Apr 22 2007 - 08:38 PM) 826443001[/snapback]Brentwood Academy spent over ten million dollars trying to get a rule clarified over twelve years that's gone to the Supreme Court twice and is there now. What do you think?

I totally agree with the ruling! Alot of the high schools are almost making it impossible for athletes to play several sports while in high school. When I was in high school we didn't have fall ball, nor did we have tryouts in the summer. We had a few weeks of camp here and there and we were able to play everything that we wanted too! I don't think that our athletes should have to be required to focus on only one sport unless that is their choice. I keep hearing that fall ball is not mandatory! If you guys believe that some coaches do not make this mandatory, you are living in a dream world.

QUOTE(mjhs2007 @ Apr 23 2007 - 12:17 PM) 826443437[/snapback]I am of the opinion that school ball is just something to do until summer ball starts. Most of your scholarships in softball are awarded from the girls preformance during the summer anyway.

Then I ask why the high school coaches want all the credit for a ball player that they have in high school. The girls did not get their training in high school they got it in the summer when we are out their when its was cold and when its hot in the summer. High school ball in Tennessee has hurt some kids that are good ball players and have to play on not so good high school teams. I wish the tssaa would play ball in the fall and leave the spring alone. That way the Tennessee teams can play some Georgia teams and see how we compare.