QUOTE(magoo043 @ May 2 2007 - 08:16 PM) 826450437[/snapback]David Justice???

And Halle Berry for a while, also.

NL West and East with BRaves

1997 Cleveland Indians

2000 Yanks

2002 A's

I believe in one of many years Rod Carew won the batting title, he did not hit a home run. If not him, probably someone from the dead ball era, which was even before my time.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ May 3 2007 - 11:33 AM) 826450887[/snapback]Okay...maybe I can stump justdontno and magoo on this one...

What player hit the most homeruns (296) during the 70`s?

That's always tough when you go by decades to remember who played their whole career in that decade. Being a child of the 70's (although some of it is a little hazy), how many guesses do I get.

The first name that popped in my head was Reggie, I know he burst on the scene early in the 70's and lasted the decade and hit a lot of Dingers. The 70's was also Big Red Machine days and Bench and Perez played most of the decade and left the yard a few times. Pops Stargell Pirates won WS in 71 and 79 (and he was MVP in 79) so he lasted the decade and hit a lot of dingers. Schmidt I think came on in mid 70's so he is probably out. Frank Robinson didn't make it through the 70's so he's probably out. Can't think of anyone else.

296, different time back then, that's about 6 years work now. A Rod and Bonds and maybe others have probably surpassed that in this decade.

Oh, yeah I forgot to answer the question.

How many guesses do I get. So, I'll guess Reggie, Bench, Pops and Perez.

OK--REGGIE?

QUOTE(magoo043 @ May 3 2007 - 01:20 PM) 826450962[/snapback]Hank Aaron?

Aaron's career ended in mid 70's so it would not be him.

I looked up Reggie's career stats and he hit 292 in the 70's so that would be incorrect. I will not offer a guess since I cheated, but it appears as if his name might have been mentioned in an earlier post.

Can I count Reggie's post season Home Runs? If you thrown in his "October" Home runs, he probably comes out on top.

QUOTE(jusdontno @ May 3 2007 - 07:36 AM) 826450643[/snapback]2002 A's

I believe in one of many years Rod Carew won the batting title, he did not hit a home run. If not him, probably someone from the dead ball era, which was even before my time.

It was Carew. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(jusdontno @ May 3 2007 - 01:11 PM) 826450917[/snapback]That's always tough when you go by decades to remember who played their whole career in that decade. Being a child of the 70's (although some of it is a little hazy), how many guesses do I get.

The first name that popped in my head was Reggie, I know he burst on the scene early in the 70's and lasted the decade and hit a lot of Dingers. The 70's was also Big Red Machine days and Bench and Perez played most of the decade and left the yard a few times. Pops Stargell Pirates won WS in 71 and 79 (and he was MVP in 79) so he lasted the decade and hit a lot of dingers. Schmidt I think came on in mid 70's so he is probably out. Frank Robinson didn't make it through the 70's so he's probably out. Can't think of anyone else.

296, different time back then, that's about 6 years work now. A Rod and Bonds and maybe others have probably surpassed that in this decade.

Oh, yeah I forgot to answer the question.

How many guesses do I get. So, I'll guess Reggie, Bench, Pops and Perez.

OK--REGGIE?

It was Stargell. Stargell ended up hitting 475 homeruns during his career which last 20 years from 62-82. The first 8 years of his career he played at Forbes field where the right field wall was 457 feet away.

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ May 3 2007 - 05:35 PM) 826451085[/snapback]Alright...who can tell me what these players all have in common?

Catfish Hunter, Al Kaline, Mel Ott, Bob Feller, Sandy Koufax, Ernie Banks, George Sisler,

Dave Winfield, and Robin Yount.

Every time I used to watch the old Detroit Tigers play and Kaline play play the announcers almost always at some point would say that Kaline never spent a day in the minor leagues (that's really all I remember about Kaline). Knowing that Yount began his career at a very young age and Winfield was drafted by 3 different professional sports, don't know anything about the beginning of the others careers, but I'm going to guess they none of them played in minor leagues. It's probably either that or some sort of age thing.

Sticking with the VG theme, What player had the most hits in the 80's?

QUOTE(jusdontno @ May 4 2007 - 10:48 AM) 826451602[/snapback]Every time I used to watch the old Detroit Tigers play and Kaline play play the announcers almost always at some point would say that Kaline never spent a day in the minor leagues (that's really all I remember about Kaline). Knowing that Yount began his career at a very young age and Winfield was drafted by 3 different professional sports, don't know anything about the beginning of the others careers, but I'm going to guess they none of them played in minor leagues. It's probably either that or some sort of age thing.

Sticking with the VG theme, What player had the most hits in the 80's?

justdontno....you need to change your name on here. That was the correct answer. None of them started out in the minor leagues.

QUOTE(jusdontno @ May 3 2007 - 07:36 AM) 826450643[/snapback]And Halle Berry for a while, also.

NL West and East with BRaves

1997 Cleveland Indians

2000 Yanks

2002 A's

The other guy that came to mind was Mike Stanton.