Stats

Took

what do you think scouts look at most when it comes to starts.. AVG? OBP? or anything else.. Or do you think stats are thrown not completely out the window, but it comes down to how you do in a game they see you in or perhaps a work out with that team....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scouts look at several things mostly its word of mouth by other Coaches and some stats as stated by Rabble. I promise if your a prospect you will be seen and then the scout will grade you on a scale consisting of several things; arm strength, speed, body composition, fielding, hitting, attitude etc. If you rate high enough they will be back, if you continue to impress them they will refer you to their boss and they will take a look and it continues from there. You can hide alot of things in stats but you can't hide ability and attitude when they see you play. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Scouts look at several things mostly its word of mouth by other Coaches and some stats as stated by Rabble. I promise if your a prospect you will be seen and then the scout will grade you on a scale consisting of several things; arm strength, speed, body composition, fielding, hitting, attitude etc. If you rate high enough they will be back, if you continue to impress them they will refer you to their boss and they will take a look and it continues from there. You can hide alot of things in stats but you can't hide ability and attitude when they see you play. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

[/quot

So tell me Scout, how important is making the "All District Teams"? Does it even have any consiquence?

1) 60 time

2) how he runs out that pop up to shallow left

3) bat speed and hands

4) how he runs out the 2-hopper to short

5) reactions and jump on the ball

6) how he handles striking out swinging

7) time out of the box to second and first to third

8) how he handles his teammate's boot

9) ability to hit spots and until he signs how high the number on that radar gun reads

10) how he handles success

swap #3 and #9 for pitcher only...

Thats about it....

they really watch you warm up and how you look on the feild and they watch you throw during warm ups because in a game they MIGHT see your arm one time but during warm ups they get a good look at it...also how you carry yourself if he has come to watch you and you are slouching and acting like whatever or im the big dog he will turn him off from you so warm ups are huge along with mr limbaughs list

At the recent Marshall Co./Giles Co. game, David Lipsomb was there to watch Marshall Co. pitcher Eric Stoltz. They stayed the entire game and also had a radar gun to clock his speed. They watched his delivery, how his breaking ball worked, and other aspects of his pitching. I talked with them briefly before the game and offered my evaluation of Stoltz. I offered some brief stats after the game, but I doubt that had any effect. I don't think any college scouts use stats gathered by teams since the process itself is inconsistent among teams.

QUOTE(PageMan @ Apr 28 2007 - 06:26 AM) 826447368[/snapback]At the recent Marshall Co./Giles Co. game, David Lipsomb was there to watch Marshall Co. pitcher Eric Stoltz. They stayed the entire game and also had a radar gun to clock his speed. They watched his delivery, how his breaking ball worked, and other aspects of his pitching. I talked with them briefly before the game and offered my evaluation of Stoltz. I offered some brief stats after the game, but I doubt that had any effect. I don't think any college scouts use stats gathered by teams since the process itself is inconsistent among teams.

Pageman - they know that high school stats are a hit or miss thing - Vandy's David Price was supposed to have allowed something like 5 earned runs his senior year at Blackman. Well, Riverdale scored seven earned runs off him in one inning at our place.

The one thing my late father emphasized was give 110% on every play in every game. He would tell us "You may run out of that dugout to your position 99 times in a row, but that one time you don't may be the one time someone is watching...."

And having spent years around college coaches and pro scouts, I can assure you that how you go from the dugout to centerfield and centerfield back to the dugout speaks volumes....