Drug use

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Footballgeek @ May 1 2007 - 12:21 PM) 826449224[/snapback]I just wandered if it was possible for someone's max bench press to jump up 125 lbs in a month. We all know that some players take part in their share of illegal activities. Should thier be manditory drug test in high school ball?

Yes, mandatory, and random.

QUOTE(Footballgeek @ May 1 2007 - 01:21 PM) 826449224[/snapback]I just wandered if it was possible for someone's max bench press to jump up 125 lbs in a month. We all know that some players take part in their share of illegal activities. Should thier be manditory drug test in high school ball?

To answer the question in simplist terms... no.

QUOTE(wahlly81 @ May 1 2007 - 02:30 PM) 826449307[/snapback]i agree, its not fair for those who work their butts off to get where they are to loose their spots to some druggy

Absolutely right. Anabolic steroid use is cheating as well as foolish. Those who abuse such substances only hinder themselves in the long run.

QUOTE(wildcatpride70 @ May 1 2007 - 08:02 PM) 826449434[/snapback]no to the bench max jumpin 125 libs. in a month bein possible or that there should be drug tests?

Honestly?? both.... It is not possibly for a bench max to jump 125 unless it is from zero to 125. As for drug test, i think it is a good idea but how would it be regulated??? You can't have the coaches do it because most coaches have an idea of who uses drugs and who doesn't and they would just tell a freshman to fill a cup so that they "randomly" drug tested someone. Would you suggest that only top athletes do it to try and help regulate this??

Oh yeah, don't forget that it does take money to test this particular substance.

It is a sad reflection of the times when this is being discussed. Yes the jump in strength is a bit questionable, but other factors can be included(proper training, genetics, diet, supplements). Maybe he did it the right way and maybe not. I agree with an earlier post that coaches usually know who is using and who is not. I think it is the coaches' responsibility to educate these athletes on the dangers and quit pushing the numbers so hard that the kids feel the need to gain an advantage. I am not ignorant to the fact that kids are competing for future opportunities, but how many really make it to D1 college ball and the NFL? I doubt we will ever have statewide testing, it would be too expensive to implement properly. Lets get the coaches involved in preventing this from the begining and if we do find evidence, hammer the person exposing the players too this filth. Just my opinion, I know it will continue to go on, but I hope the "good guys" can fight against this.

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ May 1 2007 - 09:14 PM) 826449523[/snapback]Honestly?? both.... It is not possibly for a bench max to jump 125 unless it is from zero to 125. As for drug test, i think it is a good idea but how would it be regulated??? You can't have the coaches do it because most coaches have an idea of who uses drugs and who doesn't and they would just tell a freshman to fill a cup so that they "randomly" drug tested someone. Would you suggest that only top athletes do it to try and help regulate this??

Oh yeah, don't forget that it does take money to test this particular substance.

We have the drug tests, but they are schoolwide. Even so, there's only been 1 person booted off the team but it was for somthin else other than steroids. The test is random and cheap, it doesn't catch a lot of stuff but it satisfies those worried minds of some.

I don't approve the use of them but there's not much you can do to stop it

What coach is going to kick out the guy who is proving how much he wants to play and be good?? especially if he is doing in a way that will help the team. Few coaches will take their star linebacker off of the team for anything. (no one specific just a position that requires strength among other things)

I do agree that it is a sad state of affairs when this is even being talked about