29-4 and not a peep

Stonewall

You would think with all of the jawing that goes on either for or against D-B during football and basketball that this board would have been buzzing for the last 3 weeks about the Indians baseball team. They are 29 and 4, 16 and 0 in the conference, and a favorite to threaten for a state title. However......nothing. It doesn't bother me mind you as I grow tired of the same juvenile rants from both sides. I think what this really shows is just how important this part of the state considers football to be. The Indians just finished a year long sweep of football, basketball, and baseball in the Big Nine. Threads are several hundred deep when the football team is 10 and 0. It's kind of interesting to note this don't you think?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they learned a lesson from last year ( that's why they aren't talking too much about it. if I remember correctly there were tons of threads about DB baseball and how they "were" going to win state and all that fun stuff, didn't happen, so maybe they don't want to look like fools again). also I think they are 29-5.

Here's why there are no peeps. D-B fans are afraid to say anything because of past disappointments. Non-D-B fans are afraid to say anything because they are afraid it could actually happen (D-B winning a state title) this year. I'll say this, I think this is D-B's best team in history. If they don't win it this year, I think they are destined to never win it. They took their team to Knoxville and pitched JV pitchers and still competed. No one has really challenged them this year. They are the best team in the state. Will it translate to a state title???? Time will tell.

QUOTE(braves4life @ May 2 2007 - 06:19 PM) 826450324[/snapback]hey ive got three words for you that will explain why no one is talking about them.... THE BIG NINE...ok just thought i'd clear that up

The Tribe is 30-4 and the big 9 has several good teams in it.Besides the higher powers that be always rank DB high so everybody plays them tough in every sport.It seems that every year some team from Knox.has always got an Ace of a pitcher that they save for the Tribe.We can't seem to get over that hump,but maybe with the help of a few trash talkers on coachT.the Tribe will take the hint and put some energy into the next games that are important.The Tribe Has Spoken!

QUOTE(hsbaseballfan03 @ May 2 2007 - 07:32 PM) 826450372[/snapback]Excuse my West TN obliviousness but what is "THE BIG NINE"?

Big 9 is conference here in East TN.Teams are:SullivanEast,Sullivan South,Science Hill,Dobyns-Bennett,Volunteer,David Crockett,Sullivan Central,Daniel Boone,andTennessee High High schools.

QUOTE(plowboy2 @ May 2 2007 - 07:16 PM) 826450357[/snapback]The Tribe is 30-4 and the big 9 has several good teams in it.Besides the higher powers that be always rank DB high so everybody plays them tough in every sport.It seems that every year some team from Knox.has always got an Ace of a pitcher that they save for the Tribe.We can't seem to get over that hump,but maybe with the help of a few trash talkers on coachT.the Tribe will take the hint and put some energy into the next games that are important.The Tribe Has Spoken!

No team from Knox. "saves a pitcher for the Tribe". When you are in an elimination game you pitch your best available pitcher against the other team's best available pitcher. Last year it was Farragut beating DB 3-2 with Catapano. In 2005 it was Halls winning 8-2. In 2004 it was Halls winning 8-3. I believe that all of those games were at J. Fred. South-Doyle has an excellent baseball team and Farragut has won 19 out of their last 21 games. I will say if DB wins the state in 2007, they will have earned it.

QUOTE(VolmanScott @ May 2 2007 - 09:11 PM) 826450353[/snapback]I'll say this, I think this is D-B's best team in history. If they don't win it this year, I think they are destined to never win it. They took their team to Knoxville and pitched JV pitchers and still competed. No one has really challenged them this year. They are the best team in the state. Will it translate to a state title???? Time will tell.

I thought the pitched they pitched against Farragut was their #2? am I wrong? I'm pretty sure it wasn't the #1 pitcher. But also Did you ever think that DB also played against "JV" pitchers? I'm sure you didn't

Also about the big 9. looking at the teams that are in it. There are 2 above average teams. 2 out of 9. That's are real dominate group right there.

I think DB is 30-5, not 30-4. Why is no one counting the 5th loss? Farragut, Chatt. Central, Ooltewah, William Blount, and Goodpasture. that is 5.

My curiosity in beginning this thread was really more for the lack of local bragging than anything else. If D-B ever loses in football or in hoops, look out! CoachT will light up like a Christmas tree. I just found it odd that the Indians could be punctuating a rare year of total area dominance and no one is talking about it. As for the State thing, I think you have to be pretty close-minded to knock last year's squad. Sometimes the breaks just screw you and last year the Indians were really unfortunate. Otherwise it's reasonable to assume THEY would have been state champs rather than Farragut. Think about it; D-B won the District and the Region.....and their reward was for Farragut to sleepwalk against Karns and get upset. Science Hill's reward for getting their tail's kicked was to play Karns rather than Farragut....go figure! Unlike '04 and '05, D-B still almost got it done against a superb pitcher. That was the State Championship game right there. Runner's on 2nd and 3rd, two out, bottom of the seventh, and Farragut made one more play than we did. I tip my cap to them as I did then. But.....it was difficult enough for them to use that effort to catapult to a State Title. The Indians may not win it this year, but rest assured that they are the hateful fox around the hen house and you had better be pretty good to beat them.

QUOTE(nowthatsfunny @ May 2 2007 - 09:53 PM) 826450404[/snapback]No team from Knox. "saves a pitcher for the Tribe". When you are in an elimination game you pitch your best available pitcher against the other team's best available pitcher. Last year it was Farragut beating DB 3-2 with Catapano. In 2005 it was Halls winning 8-2. In 2004 it was Halls winning 8-3. I believe that all of those games were at J. Fred. South-Doyle has an excellent baseball team and Farragut has won 19 out of their last 21 games. I will say if DB wins the state in 2007, they will have earned it.

Recent baseball history is that no matter what D-B's record is, when they hit Region 2 (Knoxville-area) teams in tournament play, the Tribe retreats back to the wigwam to get ready for next year. No matter how much anyone peeps about them.

Perhaps the "Big 9" is more "9" than it is "Big." Perhaps a good record in the "Big" 9 isn't peep-worthy.