Knoxville School Rezoning

cubsfan123435

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of the schools stand to gain an advantage athletically here I would think it would be Catholic, CAK, and Webb. Those three are going to get athletes from some of the families that don't want to be re-zoned. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" /> In my opinion, those three are going to get even stronger if they get some of the players from the other schools. Heck, right now they do relatively well /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> as they are. Just my opinion, I'm not biased toward those schools because I really am rather uneffected by the whole re-zoning process.

Council voted yesterday, and according to the paper, 10 out of 12 highschools will be affected.

"The plan will take effect in the fall of 2008, when the new Hardin Valley High School opens. Students now in grades 7-10 will be the first to be affected. "

I know it is hard, but for years, all we have heard is how crowded Farragut highschool is. So.. they open up a new school to solve the problem, now no one wants to go. Kind of ironic.

I'll bet the sale of apartments and condo's in some of the new zones will skyrocket in 2008!

QUOTE(kazam37 @ May 3 2007 - 06:48 AM) 826450652[/snapback]If any of the schools stand to gain an advantage athletically here I would think it would be Catholic, CAK, and Webb. Those three are going to get athletes from some of the families that don't want to be re-zoned. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" /> In my opinion, those three are going to get even stronger if they get some of the players from the other schools. Heck, right now they do relatively well /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> as they are. Just my opinion, I'm not biased toward those schools because I really am rather uneffected by the whole re-zoning process.

Many CAK and Webb students enter the school way before High school so it is unlikely that either of these schools will reap any kind of windfall. Catholic is a little different since there is not a lower or middle school on the same campus. Nonetheless, Catholic is expecting their largest class ever next year, adding 10 new classrooms to accommodate all of their anticipated students. Webb is full and has been turning away applicants for years (not sure about CAK).

And while each existing public school is losing a small portion of their student body, the fact remains that the West Knoxville area is growing, families are moving into these school zones and these programs will be fine. If anyone has seen the level of play of these school's JV teams, you would know that each team could afford to lose 10% of their players and still be very successful.

One final thought: these decisions were made on the basis of providing education. Athletics is certainly a part of the overall education experience but not the core. Thats why we have soccer (or any other sport for that matter) clubs without geographical boundaries to fall back on.

As a Farragut grad (over a decade ago), I understand why Farragut has the crowding problem it does. Some rezoning occurred while my brother was still there. My mother swore we'd move before being rezoned. Farragut is a school with an excellent academic record as well as athletic. Yet Hardin Valley doesn't even exist yet. If it draws from the Farragut area, it should have similar academic success.

I have, however, heard some unhappy rumors about Hardin Valley's budget. I've heard everything from it having no athletic program to a massacre of the building budget. If switching to HV will mean students miss out on opportunities, I'd be upset too. It's the county's responsibility to make sure this new school offers everything other schools do. Otherwise it's geographical discrimination, isn't it?

QUOTE(PinballWizard @ May 3 2007 - 09:12 AM) 826450783[/snapback]You are completely right, Id love to here those numbers next year. Good luck to you tonight G

Many thanks... hope the weather holds out for us!

There was actually an article today on a local news station (www.wbir.com) talking about the huge affect it will have on real estate.

News story

To the coaches of Catholic, CAK, and Webb: Hope you weren't offended by my comments......I very well know Academics is, and should be, the first priority of each and every student that passes through an institutions doors. In the event one of these aforementioned athletes is "forced" to move by re-zoning into another school system it would be more feasable for parents to pursue fighting their childs move by putting them in one of these private schools. I'm sure kids can get some financial assistance in some compacity if the need arises. Plus, you can't deny that you would refuse your doors to a potentially gifted player. So I would at least see my theory as plausible. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> G, what are the ramplifications of the Oneida - Scott Co. game on Friday? Word is they will turn right around and do it again on Saturday. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(kazam37 @ May 3 2007 - 10:30 AM) 826450842[/snapback]To the coaches of Catholic, CAK, and Webb: Hope you weren't offended by my comments......I very well know Academics is, and should be, the first priority of each and every student that passes through an institutions doors. In the event one of these aforementioned athletes is "forced" to move by re-zoning into another school system it would be more feasable for parents to pursue fighting their childs move by putting them in one of these private schools. I'm sure kids can get some financial assistance in some compacity if the need arises. Plus, you can't deny that you would refuse your doors to a potentially gifted player. So I would at least see my theory as plausible. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> G, what are the ramplifications of the Oneida - Scott Co. game on Friday? Word is they will turn right around and do it again on Saturday. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

No offense taken whatsoever... The News Sentinel had an article stating that they thought private school enrollement would go out the roof because of this. I don't see that happening. We might get a handful of students, but I think mostly people don't like change, and they will make a lot of noise about it, but will end up going and be ok with it in the long run.

Kaz, Anderson County plays Oliver Springs tonight. I would guess that A.C. will win, putting O.S. at 0-6-2. Oneida plays Scott County Friday, and if I am a betting man, they are going to tie, because that will make three teams with 0-6-2 records, and I think they all tied each other in regular season! If O.S. wins or ties tonight, I would recommend that the Friday night game be counted as the "play in" game for the tournament (though both coaches would have to ok that one!) Sorry to get off topic!

QUOTE(BigG @ May 3 2007 - 01:21 PM) 826450878[/snapback]No offense taken whatsoever...

Same for Catholic, Kaz; however, KCHS is maxed out right now and a sizeable building program is underway just to meet expected enrollment demand for next year from ordinary sources. The school was on the verge of having to turn away qualified Catholic applicants due to lack of space and that is something that I don't believe Catholic has ever done in its history. In any event, applications are expected to be way up again and pressure from the rezoning contraversy was never a planned factor. It should be interesting. I don't know how much room CAK and Webb have, but I bet it isn't much.