red cards

rednex41

I just came from district game between Sweetwater and McMinn Central where I saw a Sweetwater player get his second red card in less than 2 weeks for cursing the ref. I was 20 yards away and was impressed by the tirade of expletives, lol. What can he look forward to as far as punishment? Since the team lost and their season ended, will any suspensions carry to next season? It was a good game, but marred by 2 red cards to Sweetwater players for cursing at refs and players and one guy decided to wave bye by flipping off the ref too, lol. Some good players on Sweetwater but NO discipline. So what punishment, if any, can be handed out....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad to hear about these and several other incidences on this webpage. I think the TSSAA will have to start making some more changes- increasing red-card penalties,etc. as it appears that if the coaches, players, officials and administrators don't start policing the game the higher authorities will.

The Lawsuit in Williamson County is just a sign of things to come.

QUOTE(Nashville Panther @ May 8 2007 - 08:04 AM) 826454260[/snapback]I think the TSSAA will have to start making some more changes- increasing red-card penalties,etc. as it appears that if the coaches, players, officials and administrators don't start policing the game the higher authorities will.

Please! Let's not encourage TSSAA to police our sport. Red cards already punish players (missing a game) and teams (having to play down a man). In any other sport, you get to substitute for an ejected player.

If there are repeat offenders, then they need to be dealt with appropriately and I'm sure they will be. A knee jerk reaction based on an isolated incident or two would not be in the best interest of our game.

I'm certain these stats are available somewhere, but how many high school games were contested this spring and how many red cards were issues? Now lets compare to the recently completed World Cup and I'll bet you find that we have far fewer problems than our national teams.

QUOTE(BigG @ May 8 2007 - 10:17 AM) 826454327[/snapback]It is the ref's responsibility to report the incident. Most schools usually will take action after the fact (I know ours does). There is a fine for a coach being red carded... $100+

Also keep in mind it is easier to get ejected in soccer than any other sport. In football if you push another player you might get a flag, in soccer you'll likely get red carded. Cussing on the field, hear it all the time in football games. In soccer yellow or red ( yes we had a player that said f-you to another player last year get a red card) How about a hard tackle from behind..red card. Illegal hit in football, a flag. Soccer players and coaches are held to a higher standard already than other sports. Watch a football or basketball game and see how much talk occurs between the ref and coach. In soccer a coach can argue one call and get a yellow. If anything TSSAA needs to have officials lighten up on red cards not increase them.

QUOTE(YellowCardFever @ May 8 2007 - 10:49 AM) 826454416[/snapback]Also keep in mind it is easier to get ejected in soccer than any other sport. In football if you push another player you might get a flag, in soccer you'll likely get red carded. Cussing on the field, hear it all the time in football games. In soccer yellow or red ( yes we had a player that said f-you to another player last year get a red card) How about a hard tackle from behind..red card. Illegal hit in football, a flag. Soccer players and coaches are held to a higher standard already than other sports. Watch a football or basketball game and see how much talk occurs between the ref and coach. In soccer a coach can argue one call and get a yellow. If anything TSSAA needs to have officials lighten up on red cards not increase them.

Very well argued.

QUOTE(BigG @ May 8 2007 - 10:17 AM) 826454327[/snapback]It is the ref's responsibility to report the incident. Most schools usually will take action after the fact (I know ours does). There is a fine for a coach being red carded... $100+

a ref didn't report a red card in our game 3 weeks ago until friday now our leading scorer has to sit tonight

so i think that ref should be punished

QUOTE(mjuhb @ May 8 2007 - 11:01 AM) 826454429[/snapback]a ref didn't report a red card in our game 3 weeks ago until friday now our leading scorer has to sit tonight

so i think that ref should be punished

I think that is wrong... did you try to apeal? Did your player sit out the game after the one he got carded?

QUOTE(BigG @ May 8 2007 - 12:11 PM) 826454437[/snapback]I think that is wrong... did you try to apeal? Did your player sit out the game after the one he got carded?

no he got 2 yellows but the 2nd was for taughting and thats has we found out on friday a 1 game suspension

As a ref this past season, I haven't posted in ref threads. But...can't...hold...back....

Turbocab- as far as governing the game, if not TSSAA, then who? FIFA? USSF? What happens when a player draws 2, 3 red cards in a season? Maybe he doesn't care about the fine, maybe the school pays it, I don't know. What if the coach (and the fans) support the player?

I sent off a kid this season for cursing me in front of the opposing teams fans. For 30 minutes I was derided by home team parents for carding the kid, one mother even said, "If you'd throw more cards, he wouldn't have to get so mad". His coach didn't apologize, the other players on his team laughed about it and I heard he was ejected again a few weeks later, for the same thing.

He hasn't learned a thing, only me.

In College, 5 cautions earns a one match suspension; I liked that.

I would propose that as referee associations, when a team amasses so many cautions and ejections, if they don't discipline themselves, the association stop supporting the school.

Try to schedule a home match when no referees will come to your field.

I did read a post a few weeks ago that I applauded, someone said it well; Before you decide I'm too old or out of shape or didn't play the game and don't understand you try to keep in mind, 80% of the men and women that call matches do it for the love of soccer. I leave my job early, don't do my chores, drive 30 or 40 minutes and get paid hardly nothing, to what? get cursed at by some 15 yr old or get called names by angry women? I can stay home, my wife and kids will do that for free...

QUOTE(chindit @ May 8 2007 - 11:43 AM) 826454462[/snapback]As a ref this past season, I haven't posted in ref threads. But...can't...hold...back....

Turbocab- as far as governing the game, if not TSSAA, then who? FIFA? USSF? What happens when a player draws 2, 3 red cards in a season? Maybe he doesn't care about the fine, maybe the school pays it, I don't know. What if the coach (and the fans) support the player?

I sent off a kid this season for cursing me in front of the opposing teams fans. For 30 minutes I was derided by home team parents for carding the kid, one mother even said, "If you'd throw more cards, he wouldn't have to get so mad". His coach didn't apologize, the other players on his team laughed about it and I heard he was ejected again a few weeks later, for the same thing.

He hasn't learned a thing, only me.

In College, 5 cautions earns a one match suspension; I liked that.

I would propose that as referee associations, when a team amasses so many cautions and ejections, if they don't discipline themselves, the association stop supporting the school.

Try to schedule a home match when no referees will come to your field.

I did read a post a few weeks ago that I applauded, someone said it well; Before you decide I'm too old or out of shape or didn't play the game and don't understand you try to keep in mind, 80% of the men and women that call matches do it for the love of soccer. I leave my job early, don't do my chores, drive 30 or 40 minutes and get paid hardly nothing, to what? get cursed at by some 15 yr old or get called names by angry women? I can stay home, my wife and kids will do that for free...

Well said...