Is this a real rule?

putboobieincoach

pitching coach calls time and walks out to the mound. while he walks out to the mound, he throws a ball to our first baseman so he can get his arm loose. we have done this all year and not one umpire has said a thing bout it until last nightat montgomery central. the umpire made our first baseman throw the ball back into the dugout. is there really a rule against this???

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(putboobieincoach @ May 9 2007 - 07:48 AM) 826455260[/snapback]pitching coach calls time and walks out to the mound. while he walks out to the mound, he throws a ball to our first baseman so he can get his arm loose. we have done this all year and not one umpire has said a thing bout it until last nightat montgomery central. the umpire made our first baseman throw the ball back into the dugout. is there really a rule against this???

Why would the first baseman need to get his arm loose? The intent of the timeout was for the coach to talk with his pitcher, not for the first baseman or any other infielder to practice. The mound visit only lasts a matter of a minute or so unless there is a pitching change. There is a rule, I'll try to find it.

QUOTE(catsbackr @ May 9 2007 - 09:15 AM) 826455284[/snapback]Why would the first baseman need to get his arm loose? The intent of the timeout was for the coach to talk with his pitcher, not for the first baseman or any other infielder to practice. The mound visit only lasts a matter of a minute or so unless there is a pitching change. There is a rule, I'll try to find it.

the first baseman was gettin his arm loose because he was our relief pitcher and yes i would love for you to find that rule!!!

Yes you can.....................

I would have argued the ruling.................

It is not a delay of the game when there is stoppage due to a mound visit.........

If you put a new pitcher in the game the infield can throw a ball around during his warmup tosses just like between innings. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

No, you can't......

From the NFHS Casebook, Rule 6.2.2 Situation A: S1 replaces F1. How much time or how many throws are permitted for his warm-up? RULING: S1 is permitted eight pitches. The umpire is authorized to allow more when the weather is inclement or if F1 is removed because of injury and S1 did not have time to warm up before entering.

Was the weather inclement? Was the replaced pitcher injured? It wouldn't really matter because the first baseman replacing the original pitcher, was already in the game, isn't coming off of the bench cold, etc.

So, yes there is a rule......

QUOTE(catsbackr @ May 9 2007 - 10:58 AM) 826455395[/snapback]No, you can't......

From the NFHS Casebook, Rule 6.2.2 Situation A: S1 replaces F1. How much time or how many throws are permitted for his warm-up? RULING: S1 is permitted eight pitches. The umpire is authorized to allow more when the weather is inclement or if F1 is removed because of injury and S1 did not have time to warm up before entering.

Was the weather inclement? Was the replaced pitcher injured? It wouldn't really matter because the first baseman replacing the original pitcher, was already in the game, isn't coming off of the bench cold, etc.

So, yes there is a rule......

That is when you warm up on the mound. You can take as long as you like before a game to warm up. While the coach goes out and talks to the pitcher everyone on the field can have a ball and throw if they want to as long as the balls are off the field when the timeout is over. There is no such rule. As a matter a fact it was brought up at the rules meeting as a point and Gene Menees said that there is no such rule and you can throw if you want to. Weather has nothing to do with it, that is only between innings if the pitcher wants or needs more throws to get ready. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

There is a veteran coach in CPA's district who has done this for at least 8 years. I think this is circumventing the rules. I have always maintained that when a player in the field throws during a mound visit those throws should be counted against the 8 warmup pitch limit if that player is brought in as a reliever. However, I have never seen an umpire call it. JHMO

if you are saying that another ball cant be in play on the field then consider this... when the pitchin coach calls time, the pitcher should throw the ball to the first baseman and he can throw with the game ball. if you are sayin that it is a delay in the game then timeouts shouldnt be able to be called because they delay the game also. coaches do it all the time. there is no difference in this situation than when a pitchin coach calls time in order to get his pitcher warmed up in the bullpen. i guess that shouldnt be allowed either!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(Bighurt @ May 9 2007 - 10:19 AM) 826455413[/snapback]There is a veteran coach in CPA's district who has done this for at least 8 years. I think this is circumventing the rules. I have always maintained that when a player in the field throws during a mound visit those throws should be counted against the 8 warmup pitch limit if that player is brought in as a reliever. However, I have never seen an umpire call it. JHMO

How does it delay the game? If the coach is making an official trip to the mound, the ball is thrown in during this time and is off the field before the coach why does it matter? We don't do this, but I can't see getting my panties in a wad because of it.

QUOTE(Bighurt @ May 9 2007 - 11:19 AM) 826455413[/snapback]There is a veteran coach in CPA's district who has done this for at least 8 years. I think this is circumventing the rules. I have always maintained that when a player in the field throws during a mound visit those throws should be counted against the 8 warmup pitch limit if that player is brought in as a reliever. However, I have never seen an umpire call it. JHMO

I agree with bighurt. Count the throws the first baseman makes against the 8 if it's in the middle of the inning.

The reply quoting the Casebook was to answer the question regarding warmup pitches for a new pitcher and why an umpire wouldn't allow another ball on the field to allow the new pitcher to warm up prior to taking his warm up pitches. If a change is going to be made, make the change and let the new pitcher warm up from the mound.

As far as a rule regarding, can the first baseman throw grounders to the infield while the new pitcher takes his 8 pitches goes, I don't know if there is a rule or not. I don't have my rule book here at work, but I'll look it up tonight. IMHO, I just think it's unnecesary. And would I allow it? Probably not, unless there was a position change as well as a pitching change and then I still probably wouldn't allow it.