Worth Showcase tryouts.....

P.A.Lin-Z

I over heard people talking at the tryouts....seems that some were displeased. A few thought the team was already picked before it got started.

The only complaint I had is there was no deadline of notification. We traveled a couple of hours and had to wait for a while with no idea how long it would take.

Did anybody else on here go? And what did you think?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(P.A.Lin-Z @ May 20 2007 - 10:10 AM) 826463342[/snapback]I over heard people talking at the tryouts....seems that some were displeased. A few thought the team was already picked before it got started.

The only complaint I had is there was no deadline of notification. We traveled a couple of hours and had to wait for a while with no idea how long it would take.

What part of your statement shocks you or anyone else?

QUOTE(P.A.Lin-Z @ May 20 2007 - 10:10 AM) 826463342[/snapback]I over heard people talking at the tryouts....seems that some were displeased. A few thought the team was already picked before it got started.

from my experience...several of the players have already been selected, but not all

QUOTE(cbg @ May 20 2007 - 01:48 PM) 826463465[/snapback]What part of your statement shocks you or anyone else?

Well I guess I was a little naive in thinking that it would be different. There is a learning curve with everything.....right?

Maybe they just lack the experience in putting on a decent tryout.

10 pitches, a 60 yard dash, 2 or 3 ground balls of position play,....oh yeah 10 swings,.....and alot of hand shaking and butt grabbing with the invitees. (Guys....you should try not to make it so obvious next time.) /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I may have failed to see the "Worth" in it. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> (maybe a little pun intended there...lol.)

Don't get me wrong.....we didn't really think Josh would make the team because of his age. We did it to get the experience of something like that.....I think that it never hurts to take part of something just to get used to how it works.

If age is a factor....and I'm sure it is (the upper classmen should be given first priority).....then they should post that in the info. There wasn't much info on the tryout....or atleast I couldn't find any.

We did get to visit a beautiful place.....Franklin Tennessee is a very beautiful, relaxing place.

QUOTE(wingman10 @ May 20 2007 - 03:06 PM) 826463487[/snapback]from my experience...several of the players have already been selected, but not all

As I aid before.....you could tell that from the coach's body language when "his" man would come around.

QUOTE(P.A.Lin-Z @ May 20 2007 - 03:14 PM) 826463491[/snapback]Well I guess I was a little naive in thinking that it would be different. There is a learning curve with everything.....right?

Maybe they just lack the experience in putting on a decent tryout.

10 pitches, a 60 yard dash, 2 or 3 ground balls of position play,....oh yeah 10 swings,.....and alot of hand shaking and butt grabbing with the invitees. (Guys....you should try not to make it so obvious next time.) /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I may have failed to see the "Worth" in it. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> (maybe a little pun intended there...lol.)

Don't get me wrong.....we didn't really think Josh would make the team because of his age. We did it to get the experience of something like that.....I think that it never hurts to take part of something just to get used to how it works.

If age is a factor....and I'm sure it is (the upper classmen should be given first priority).....then they should post that in the info. There wasn't much info on the tryout....or atleast I couldn't find any.

We did get to visit a beautiful place.....Franklin Tennessee is a very beautiful, relaxing place.

As I aid before.....you could tell that from the coach's body language when "his" man would come around.

Who are the coaches and what kids made the team?

QUOTE(P.A.Lin-Z @ May 20 2007 - 09:10 AM) 826463342[/snapback]I over heard people talking at the tryouts....seems that some were displeased. A few thought the team was already picked before it got started.

If the teams were already picked then what were the coaches trying to decide 2 hours after workouts were over on Sat and Sun? Some of the boys have not even been called that they are going to invite to be on the team so before you go accusing I would wait and see. They are being bery fair about the situation and you might see that when the final team has been put together.

This is the problem with the TBCA selection process. The coaches volunteer their time and efforts but many have little if any experience conducting showcase events. The chief problems are D1 vs D2 vs AAA vs A vs AA plus some of the players are in the state tournament and their coach is not going to allow them to tryout for fear of injury. When a player only get's 10 pitches to hit (some of the BP pitchers are poor @ best) and a few ground balls or fly balls and are allowed to run the 60 yard dash it's difficult for anyone to select a team if they don't know the players. This is why most of the coaches select their own players or players that they have seen play. Is this process fair? No, but what would be a better process? Down here is South Florida the players coach recomends the player for the team and the head coach makes all of the decisions. Is this any more fair than what you do in Tennessee? I don't feel that it is.

QUOTE(cbg @ May 21 2007 - 04:08 PM) 826464142[/snapback]This is the problem with the TBCA selection process. The coaches volunteer their time and efforts but many have little if any experience conducting showcase events. The chief problems are D1 vs D2 vs AAA vs A vs AA plus some of the players are in the state tournament and their coach is not going to allow them to tryout for fear of injury. When a player only get's 10 pitches to hit (some of the BP pitchers are poor @ best) and a few ground balls or fly balls and are allowed to run the 60 yard dash it's difficult for anyone to select a team if they don't know the players. This is why most of the coaches select their own players or players that they have seen play. Is this process fair? No, but what would be a better process? Down here is South Florida the players coach recomends the player for the team and the head coach makes all of the decisions. Is this any more fair than what you do in Tennessee? I don't feel that it is.

I would agree after sitting through the 3 hours,it appeared the team was already chosen. The tryout was a formality. If you watched the coaches taking notes , they were not taking notes on all of the kids, only a few if any were notes taken.

i attended the TBCA worth tryouts last year, and a kid I was with had the best 60 time and definetly one of the best bats and arms, but not being from around the memphis area or being from the school that was hosting the try outs last year he was not selected and he was definetly one of the better players there, the teams are pretty much already chosen by the time the kids arrive to the park.

Let me say again.....we did it for the experience of it. Being a sophmore I think it's a good idea to take part in something like that so he will get better at that kind of thing. They need to be in front of radar guns and scouts.

If there had been some info that said only jr's and sr's can tryout, then we wouldn't have done it. Do I think it was time wasted? Not at all.....anytime a kid is taking the time to do something in baseball to improve or sharpen their skills...I say go after it. It let's a kid know where they are.

I'm not accusing either.....just stating what I heard and what I saw. I would have hated to have to choose a team from all that talent.