Ravenwood D1 Champions

fromthetop2

Props to Ravenwood for their Championship at the D1 level. They have put together a great program from the middle school on up, and truly shows what a commitment the program has made to this sport.

It is even more remarkable that this "newbie" to the D1 ranks has established its dominance in such a short time against such older, more established programs. Just as they did in 5A football, they focused on this goal and committed to it thoroughly. It was a tough task in both cases, but one that yielded results.

And with Franklin again the victor in DII, dare we say the heart of lacrosse in Tennessee again resides in Williamson County?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fromthetop2 @ May 21 2007 - 08:37 AM) 826463913[/snapback]Props to Ravenwood for their Championship at the D1 level. They have put together a great program from the middle school on up, and truly shows what a commitment the program has made to this sport.

It is even more remarkable that this "newbie" to the D1 ranks has established its dominance in such a short time against such older, more established programs. Just as they did in 5A football, they focused on this goal and committed to it thoroughly. It was a tough task in both cases, but one that yielded results.

And with Franklin again the victor in DII, dare we say the heart of lacrosse in Tennessee again resides in Williamson County?

I wouldn't venture quite that far, but Williamson County certainly did a good job of bringing home the hardware this year. I expect Ravenwood to have a pretty significant rebuilding year next year after losing 18 seniors, especially since this talented class has been the core of their program for the last 4 years. Hopefully, Franklin will finally move up (as they should have years ago), in which case, I don't see them in the championship hunt either. I'd be looking towards Memphis for an early favorite for the DI champ next year. I'm not really sure about DII.

QUOTE(Redtwin @ May 21 2007 - 01:07 PM) 826464053[/snapback]I wouldn't venture quite that far, but Williamson County certainly did a good job of bringing home the hardware this year. I expect Ravenwood to have a pretty significant rebuilding year next year after losing 18 seniors, especially since this talented class has been the core of their program for the last 4 years. Hopefully, Franklin will finally move up (as they should have years ago), in which case, I don't see them in the championship hunt either. I'd be looking towards Memphis for an early favorite for the DI champ next year. I'm not really sure about DII.

Consistently, Williamson County has had the top teams in DII year in and out. With a WillCo team now King of the Hill in D1, I think the claim has merit. Ravenwood has routinely had large graduation losses, it is just that the talent pipeline runs deep and gets better all of the time. Each class has appeared to have better talent than the one before. The problem that the Franklins, Brentwoods, and Centennials have had over the years, is the lack of stability in the coaching, or the general lack of coaching expertise. These are all volunteer, non-paid positions with a high turnover rate. Ravenwood has been stable, which has aided there success greatly.

Ravenwood has had a very stable coaching staff, which I'm sure contributes greatly to their success, but the vast majority of thier success could be credited to this graduating class. Not to say there haven't been other players contribute, but they have relied on some of these guys for 4 years now. They may have been graduating guys, but the core of the team has been this class. Look for a significant drop off next year. McCallie and MUS have upwards of 6 and 7 titles a piece. MBA has 3. Congratulations to Ravenwood on a great season, but 1 title does not a powerhouse make.

As for DII, it was started in 2002 as a developmental league. Franklin one the first title, but instead of moving up to DI as they should have, they have continued to lay back and dominate teams in a lower tier league. Although Brentwood has never won a DII title, they are guilty of the same lack of tenacity. Of course they dominate DII, they're programs have been around since the mid 1990s while most of the other teams in DII are more recent additions to the game. Hopefully, the competition committee will find a way to discourage this playing down in the future.

If the heart of TN lacrosse is anywhere, it isn't in Middle TN.

I wouldn't be too worried about Ravenwood loosing momentum next season considering our JV team has gone 11-3. According to the TSLA website down the road Woodland is 7-2 and 4-0 in the region. But yes, there will be a drop next year, but nothing we can't overcome. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(Redtwin @ May 21 2007 - 05:03 PM) 826464166[/snapback]Ravenwood has had a very stable coaching staff, which I'm sure contributes greatly to their success, but the vast majority of thier success could be credited to this graduating class. Not to say there haven't been other players contribute, but they have relied on some of these guys for 4 years now. They may have been graduating guys, but the core of the team has been this class. Look for a significant drop off next year. McCallie and MUS have upwards of 6 and 7 titles a piece. MBA has 3. Congratulations to Ravenwood on a great season, but 1 title does not a powerhouse make.

As for DII, it was started in 2002 as a developmental league. Franklin one the first title, but instead of moving up to DI as they should have, they have continued to lay back and dominate teams in a lower tier league. Although Brentwood has never won a DII title, they are guilty of the same lack of tenacity. Of course they dominate DII, they're programs have been around since the mid 1990s while most of the other teams in DII are more recent additions to the game. Hopefully, the competition committee will find a way to discourage this playing down in the future.

If the heart of TN lacrosse is anywhere, it isn't in Middle TN.

Your post about DII has some of that "sniff, sniff" old school DI perspective. Let's see...MBA has paid staff, great facilities and seven years to develop players in a system, as do other DI programs. Not to mention being around for 20 years. Not much of an advantage, huh?

I LOVE what Ravenwood has done. Great, stable coaching...coordination with the middle school program,..some school support. They are a model of grass roots, boot straps success. To set the record straight on playing down...Franklin's first year as a predominantly Franklin team (not combined with Centennial) was 2005. Even now there were some very good players on the team from Independence (also some on Centennial). Franklin had a new coach in 2006, who now has won two back-to-back titles. I'm sure Franklin will move up and pay the dues...it just irks me and others to see that dismissive, arrogant tone.

In case no one in DI has realized it yet, there are almost twice as many DII programs as DI...maybe a time for a change in attitudes? TSSAA is looming, guys.

division 2 has been around longer than 2002. it has changed names a few times, but there has always been a separation between the two levels in lacrosse. prior to being named division 2 it was called the club division. it had a different name prior to that. germantown and farragut have a few of those "club" championship trophies lying in someone's basement.

congrats to ravenwood. enjoy being on top, you earned it. next year will be a brand new challenge. losing 2 or 3 key seniors is tough, i can't imagine losing 18. what a class!

QUOTE(rdvlax @ May 22 2007 - 01:56 PM) 826464611[/snapback]Your post about DII has some of that "sniff, sniff" old school DI perspective. Let's see...MBA has paid staff, great facilities and seven years to develop players in a system, as do other DI programs. Not to mention being around for 20 years. Not much of an advantage, huh?

I LOVE what Ravenwood has done. Great, stable coaching...coordination with the middle school program,..some school support. They are a model of grass roots, boot straps success. To set the record straight on playing down...Franklin's first year as a predominantly Franklin team (not combined with Centennial) was 2005. Even now there were some very good players on the team from Independence (also some on Centennial). Franklin had a new coach in 2006, who now has won two back-to-back titles. I'm sure Franklin will move up and pay the dues...it just irks me and others to see that dismissive, arrogant tone.

In case no one in DI has realized it yet, there are almost twice as many DII programs as DI...maybe a time for a change in attitudes? TSSAA is looming, guys.

You sensed right. I have a dismissive attitude regarding Franklin and thier second state title. Their program has been around since before I was in high school several years ago, as have Brentwood's and Hillsboro's. Brentwood has sent guys to play in college, and Franklin has had its share of talented players as far back as the late 90s. They still, however, play in a developmental league with new teams. You're right. A change in attitude is needed because there are twice as many teams in DII than DI. Some of those DII teams need to move up to DI. Franklin, Brentwood, Cookeville, both Knox teams, Collierville, Lausanne and possible PJPII should all move up. None of those schools are significantly less equiped than Ryan, Webb, USN, or Farragut. I like what Ravenwood has done as well. They have continually sought out the best competition in state as well as out of state, and it payed them dividends. They have developed a since of pride and loyalty amongst the payers and staff. Their kids all played summer league. They worked hard and it paid off. Good for them. They moved up after winning 1 DII title, as Franklin should have. And, just so you will realize this is for the general betterment of lacrosse in TN, it won't immediately benefit any of the established private schools if this happens. In the short run, it will most likely result in them replacing games against more skilled teams with developing teams that used to be in DII. But, it should result in those developing DII teams becoming more and more competitive as Milton and Harrison have done in GA. Again, hopefully the TSLA will address the requirements for being in DII before next season begins. I suspect there will be some kind of change, and it will not be sanctioning, which probably won't happen any time in the next 2 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for DII and the growth of lacrosse in TN, but the current situation is not progress.

Don't forget Houston! They moved up after finishing 2nd in D-II and could have made it a real battle for Ravenwood that year for D-II Championship and then after graduating a bunch of seniors, remained in D-I this past year. Although they were reloading some this year, I believe it will pay dividends for them in next few years.

Simple fact is you get better by playing better teams.

Also, Ravenwood may be young next year, but I don't think they will fall as far as many think.

tsla has never "forced" a team to move up and i would be surprised if they ever did. it has strictly been up to the head coach. some choose to chase the big carrot, some choose to chase the smaller carrot. sanctioning is the only thing that would budge a couple of these programs. i'm not sure that's a desired result though. i'm pretty sure tsla is happy the way things stand now- aspiring teams rise while the less than aspiring programs stay off the required scheduling list.

it looks to me that franklin and cookeville have a desire to compete at the highest levels. i know baylor will be there before long and i think webb knox will get there in a few years. everyone else, i'm not so sure of.

QUOTE(Redtwin @ May 22 2007 - 04:04 PM) 826464654[/snapback]You sinced right. I have a dismissive attitude regarding Franklin and thier second state title. Their program has been around since before I was in high school several years ago, as have Brentwood's and Hillsboro's. Brentwood has sent guys to play in college, and Franklin has had its share of talented players as far back as the late 90s. They still, however, play in a developmental league with new teams. You're right. A change in attitude is needed because there are twice as many teams in DII than DI. Some of those DII teams need to move up to DI. Franklin, Brentwood, Cookeville, both Knox teams, Collierville, Lausanne and possible PJPII should all move up. None of those schools are significantly less equiped than Ryan, Webb, USN, or Farragut. I like what Ravenwood has done as well. They have continually sought out the best competition in state as well as out of state, and it payed them dividends. They have developed a since of pride and loyalty amongst the payers and staff. Their kids all played summer league. They worked hard and it paid off. Good for them. They moved up after winning 1 DII title, as Franklin should have. And, just so you will realize this is for the general betterment of lacrosse in TN, it won't immediately benefit any of the established private schools if this happens. In the short run, it will most likely result in them replacing games against more skilled teams with developing teams that used to be in DII. But, it should result in those developing DII teams becoming more and more competitive as Milton and Harrison have done in GA. Again, hopefully the TSLA will address the requirements for being in DII before next season begins. I suspect there will be some kind of change, and it will not be sanctioning, which probably won't happen any time in the next 2 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for DII and the growth of lacrosse in TN, but the current situation is not progress.

im not speakin for a specific team on this but dude you need to chill its not that big of a deal. Brentwood didnt have the greatest year this year they had some rough games that they barely got. Cookeville and Collierville also are still in the developing stages and i think Cookeville will be restructuring as will Franklin next year. They both and losing some very key players and will have to get their teams built back up. Alot of the other DII teams had rebuilding years and this year wasnt that year for some of the teams that did well. Catterton even said in an article that he lost alot of players and was working to fill it in. I think thats gunna be the case for more teams in the coming season. I could see Franklin, Brentwood, and Cookeville moving up in the next 2 years but i dont think it would be the smartest year for them to do it untill they have done all of their restructuring. You dont know each team personally and what is going on idividually and it all comes down to the players parents and coaches about what they think is best for their team. So quit doggin these teams to move up they all will eventually but will do it when they feel its the best time. while ur at it why dont u go tell maryville to move up to 5A football since they have 10 state championships (1970,1976,1978,1998,2000,2001,2002,2004,2005,2006) thats 3 in a row with only one year keeping it from 7 in a row. o and ravenwood did a great job this year they really are a great team and deserved it this year more than anyone.

QUOTE(fromthetop2 @ May 21 2007 - 07:37 AM) 826463913[/snapback]Props to Ravenwood for their Championship at the D1 level. They have put together a great program from the middle school on up, and truly shows what a commitment the program has made to this sport.

Franklin... Garbage thats all I got to say. Also its funny cause Ravenwood will be garbage next year. So what were you sayin about williamson county?